How often to update diet profile?

Options
Hi. During the course of losing weight, how often do people update their diet profile to have MFP calculate a new calorie goal based on the weight loss occurring? I think I have updated 2x in the last 4 months.

Replies

• erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this, too. I was thinking about updating every 10lbs or so because I am starting so heavy but really that was just an arbitrary number I decided on.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I did every 10 lbs to start and now am doing it every 5. Just remember if you changed the default macro percentages, when you reset it resets them back to the default and you have to change them again.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb I have seen is every 10lbs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP it would prompt me to update every ten pounds.

I think the bigger issue is eating enough, by far.

Unless you have 50+ pounds to lose, your Goal should not be more than 1 pound per week.

20 pounds or less to lose? 0.5 pounds per week.

As always, your own data and your own energy levels are your best guides. All the online calculators do is get you in the general ballpark. It's up to you to decide when to hit the ball.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I guess I thought it updated your calorie goal automatically ? Based off of your weight inputs
  • cmriverside
    edited June 2017
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I guess I thought it updated your calorie goal automatically ? Based off of your weight inputs

No, you have to go into "GOALS" and update manually...which means weight, loss rate, save changes.

The important thing is just to go into Goals and click save.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options

I don't recall ever seeing the app ask me to update, but I will look for that.
    @cmriverside What do you mean the bigger issue is eating enough?
  • cmriverside
    edited June 2017
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »

I don't recall ever seeing the app ask me to update, but I will look for that.
    @cmriverside What do you mean the bigger issue is eating enough?

When you lose weight, the program will deduct calories. I think it's about 10 calories per ten pounds. (and I don't think the program prompts anymore, you have to do it yourself.)

This is what I said next, and explains "eating enough."
    Unless you have 50+ pounds to lose, your Goal should not be more than 1 pound per week.

20 pounds or less to lose? 0.5 pounds per week.

As always, your own data and your own energy levels are your best guides. All the online calculators do is get you in the general ballpark. It's up to you to decide when to hit the ball.

The differences between (for instance) "lose one pound per week" and "lose two pounds per week" is 500 calories per day. That is the part you want to get right, and too many people start out at "lose two" when they need to be at "lose one" or "lose 0.5."
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    For me, I would rather have frequent small reductions to my calorie goal rather than bigger reductions less often.

To that end, I update my fitness profile every time I hit a new lowest weight. Not every update actually changes my calorie goal, but when it does, it's only about 10 calories at a time, which is easy to adjust to.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Weird, MFP automatically updated my calorie allowance on its own that last time I hit a number divisible by 5. I have never manually updated actually, but every 5-10 pounds it has dropped my calorie allowance by 40ish calories.

I guess it is better to update manually just in case.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight, the program will deduct calories. I think it's about 10 calories per ten pounds. (and I don't think the program prompts anymore, you have to do it yourself.)

This may be my imagination, but I feel like when I was heavier and had more to lose I lost fewer calories for pounds loss. Now that I'm down to about 19 lbs before I exit overweight territory a couple of pounds will set me back 20 calories or so.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Weird, MFP automatically updated my calorie allowance on its own that last time I hit a number divisible by 5. I have never manually updated actually, but every 5-10 pounds it has dropped my calorie allowance by 40ish calories.

Honestly, it's been so long since my weight changed - you could be right, or it could be that you simply went into your Goals section and closed it out at the bottom of the page. That will do it. I track on an off-site spreadsheet, and I set custom calories. Things do change around here, and the apps are different from the website, too.

It's not a hill I'm willing to die on. :flowerforyou:
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

Honestly, it's been so long since my weight changed - you could be right, or it could be that you simply went into your Goals section and closed it out at the bottom of the page. That will do it. I track on an off-site spreadsheet, and I set custom calories. Things do change around here, and the apps are different from the website, too.

It's not a hill I'm willing to die on. :flowerforyou:

Yeah, its possible that's what happened for me. I agree though, I think if you are unsure if it is updating, it is better to put in your goals again manually just in case :smiley:
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I do it every 4-5 weeks (works out to about every 10 pounds). I just did mine today and found that I lost a little less than 100 calories off my totals. Bummer (well, not really since I know that I'm eating less because I actually lost weight!).
  • kamb65
    kamb65 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am restarting MFP and wanted to update my diet/fitness profile. I plugged in my stuff and no matter what I put in the overall #'s don't change as far as caloric intake etc. Any assist is appreciated. TIA :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    kamb65 wrote: »
    I am restarting MFP and wanted to update my diet/fitness profile. I plugged in my stuff and no matter what I put in the overall #'s don't change as far as caloric intake etc. Any assist is appreciated. TIA :)

Is it stuck at the bottom of the range (1200 for women, 1500 for men)? The program will not allow you to go below that no matter what numbers you put in.