My Macros

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    seansta5 wrote: »
    My whole mindset with the plus exercise calories is that I do not want to gain excess weight whether that be fat or muscle from these extra calories i will be consuming in order to workout. I understand what you are saying but what if I consume extra calories for exercise and then I do not burn off those calories? Now I am put in a position where I need to burn off the excess exercise calories plus the base calories I am eating throughout the day. My activity right now is sedentary based on what I do for work so throughout the day I am not burning many of those base calories.

When calculated properly, eating exercise calories will not result in excess weight. You'll still be at a deficit.

With MFP's formula, you'd never consume extra calories through exercise that you were not burning off because you log your exercise (and eat the calories) after the exercise happens.

You wake up with a base calorie goal, log your exercise, and *then* have the extra calories available.
  • seansta5
    seansta5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My whole mindset with the plus exercise calories is that I do not want to gain excess weight whether that be fat or muscle from these extra calories i will be consuming in order to workout. I understand what you are saying but what if I consume extra calories for exercise and then I do not burn off those calories? Now I am put in a position where I need to burn off the excess exercise calories plus the base calories I am eating throughout the day. My activity right now is sedentary based on what I do for work so throughout the day I am not burning many of those base calories.

When calculated properly, eating exercise calories will not result in excess weight. You'll still be at a deficit.

With MFP's formula, you'd never consume extra calories through exercise that you were not burning off because you log your exercise (and eat the calories) after the exercise happens.

You wake up with a base calorie goal, log your exercise, and *then* have the extra calories available.

I am new to this app so I am still trying to navigate it. So i figure out how many calories I burned during exercise and eat that amount of calories directly afterwards to cancel them out? And I assume the calories I eat before the workout are part of my base calories. The only thing I do not understand is how I will still be left in a deficit if I am going to put the same amount of calories back into my body that I burned off. Where can I find this formula?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I am new to this app so I am still trying to navigate it. So i figure out how many calories I burned during exercise and eat that amount of calories directly afterwards to cancel them out? And I assume the calories I eat before the workout are part of my base calories. The only thing I do not understand is how I will still be left in a deficit if I am going to put the same amount of calories back into my body that I burned off. Where can I find this formula?

If your calorie goal comes from MFP, then it's accounting for the base calories you need to live -- what your body naturally burns each day plus your everyday activity. If you tell MFP you want to lose weight, it will then subtract calories from this to create a deficit for you.

Let's say you need 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight with your everyday activity. If you want to lose one pound a week, your calorie goal from MFP will be 1,500. That is a deficit for you, a deficit of 500 calories.

Now let's say you go for a run and burn 200 calories. Your deficit is now 700 calories (because you burned 200 more calories than MFP assumed you would). You can eat those 200 back and still be at your original deficit of 1,500.

MFP is handy because it does these calculations for you when you log your exercise. However, you can do them yourself (if you have a source to tell how many calories you're burning through exercise).
  • seansta5
    Options
    if you are going to ignore the advice of people (which you asked for) - then why ask at all?

Because you are telling me what you think my body fat percentage is. I never asked you for advice on my body fat and you made a far fetched assumption. Secondly, i have another guy giving me counseling advice telling me I am overthinking everything. I never asked for advice on whether or not my mindset will suffice as I approach something new. Lastly, I never said I didn't appreciate the advice. I am taking the advice with a grain of salt and then forming my own model out of the said advice based on what I think is important. You cannot give advice expecting me to take it verbatim. The world doesnt work like that.
  • seansta5
    Options

@deannalfisher you see how this person stays on topic? This is what a forum is all about. Continuing to talk about the main thread and conversing back and forth and listening to everyones advice and then if queations arise we can all help each other out and learn new things. Not making assumptions and going off topic.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    On a day without exercise:
    Maintenance calories minus 1000 cals = 1000 cal deficit.

On a day when you exercise (500 as an example!) but don't eat them back:

Maintenance calories minus 1000 cals minus 500 calories you burn through exercise = That's now a 1500 deficit.

On a day when you exercise and do what this tool is designed for you to do:

Maintenance calories minus 1000 cals minus 500 calories you burn through exercise but you eat back 500 exercise calories = 1000 cal deficit.

• seansta5
    Options

If your calorie goal comes from MFP, then it's accounting for the base calories you need to live -- what your body naturally burns each day plus your everyday activity. If you tell MFP you want to lose weight, it will then subtract calories from this to create a deficit for you.

Let's say you need 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight with your everyday activity. If you want to lose one pound a week, your calorie goal from MFP will be 1,500. That is a deficit for you, a deficit of 500 calories.

Now let's say you go for a run and burn 200 calories. Your deficit is now 700 calories (because you burned 200 more calories than MFP assumed you would). You can eat those 200 back and still be at your original deficit of 1,500.

MFP is handy because it does these calculations for you when you log your exercise. However, you can do them yourself (if you have a source to tell how many calories you're burning through exercise).

Okay so I am understanding this a bit more now so I want to say thank you. The only question that still arises is in the example you used. Say I go for that run and it is my only exercise for that day. I eat those 200 calories to gain back what i lost. Yes, that might leave me with the same deficit I started out with but how am I gping to burng off the rest of the base calories so that i end up with a bigger expenditure than intake of calories before i end the day? I do not want any calories to carry over into the next day when I wake up in the morning. You see what I am saying? I hope I made this clear for you.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Okay so I am understanding this a bit more now so I want to say thank you. The only question that still arises is in the example you used. Say I go for that run and it is my only exercise for that day. I eat those 200 calories to gain back what i lost. Yes, that might leave me with the same deficit I started out with but how am I gping to burng off the rest of the base calories so that i end up with a bigger expenditure than intake of calories before i end the day? I do not want any calories to carry over into the next day when I wake up in the morning. You see what I am saying? I hope I made this clear for you.

Your base calories are the calories you burn just from living and the calories you are burning through your daily activity (like your job or household tasks). You don't have to "try" to burn them off, you're already burning them off each day.

I know that if I just wake up in the morning and sit in bed watching TV all day, I'm going to burn calories. I don't have to try to do this, my body needs that just to live. By the time I get to work or just hang out around my apartment, I'll burn about 1,460. I don't have to focus on doing this, I know it is happening each day.
  • seansta5
    Options

@deannalfisher you see how this person stays on topic? This is what a forum is all about. Continuing to talk about the main thread and conversing back and forth and listening to everyones advice and then if queations arise we can all help each other out and learn new things. Not making assumptions and going off topic.

Hey -- people are trying to help you in various ways (including sharing things that worked for them when they were losing weight). Not everyone has the same approach, but I'm not comfortable with my advice being used to chastise other people who are genuinely trying to help you.

You don't have to take all the advice, but people are trying to help you out. :)

Hey -- people are trying to help you in various ways (including sharing things that worked for them when they were losing weight). Not everyone has the same approach, but I'm not comfortable with my advice being used to chastise other people who are genuinely trying to help you.

You don't have to take all the advice, but people are trying to help you out. :)

I

I apprecia

I appreciate your help! I do not have a lot of excess weight everywhere. My only issue is the lower abdominal visceral fat. The baby fat if you will. My goal is to decrease my body fat % so that I can get abs and be able to maintain and eventually grow the lean muscle. I dont know if anyone here has this exact goal but its the visceral fat I am trying to target more than anything else
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

You aren't carrying anything over. Your body is using 2000 calories to maintain your current weight. Any time your net consumption is below that number, you lose weight. Eating exercise calories *does* lead to slower weight loss, but the idea with the MFP system is that it is healthier to keep to a consistent deficit every day rather than pushing yourself to burn every last calorie possible. So back to that example: your body needs 2000 calories to stay at your current weight. Your goal is to have a 500 calorie deficit every day. You can reach that goal by eating 1500 and not exercising at all, or by eating 2000 and burning 500. This adds up to a 3500 deficit a week, which is about a one pound loss. There are a lot of benefits to exercise, but bottom line, losing weight is about cutting calories, and it isn't necessary to work out to do that.
  • seansta5
    Options

Your base calories are the calories you burn just from living and the calories you are burning through your daily activity (like your job or household tasks). You don't have to "try" to burn them off, you're already burning them off each day.

I know that if I just wake up in the morning and sit in bed watching TV all day, I'm going to burn calories. I don't have to try to do this, my body needs that just to live. By the time I get to work or just hang out around my apartment, I'll burn about 1,460. I don't have to focus on doing this, I know it is happening each day.

Makes more sense now. Thank you!
  • seansta5
    Options

Okay so I changed my goal to something more realistic such as losing 1 lb of fat per week. This increased my base calories to 2,370. Now what is this base calorie amount telling me? What does it include and what does it not include if this makes any sense? For instance, are these 2,370 calories simply my maintenance calories or are they calories with a deficit included?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Okay so I changed my goal to something more realistic such as losing 1 lb of fat per week. This increased my base calories to 2,370. Now what is this base calorie amount telling me? What does it include and what does it not include if this makes any sense? For instance, are these 2,370 calories simply my maintenance calories or are they calories with a deficit included?

If you told MFP that your goal is to lose 1 pound a week, then 2,370 is a deficit.

It includes your BMR (basal metabolic rate, the calories you'd burn from living even if you stayed in bed all day) and the calories estimated for your regular, non-exercise activities (this will be based on the activity level you chose -- if you chose sedentary, it assumes you will burn fewer each day -- active, assumes you will burn more). It won't include any of the exercise you're doing in addition to your daily life. Once it knows how many calories you need to maintain, it calculates the deficit you need to lose 1 pound a week -- that is how it came up with 2,370.

Assuming you entered your stats correctly and chose the right activity level, then 2,370 is a deficit for you. You can then log any extra exercise you are doing in MFP and will eat back at least a portion of those calories.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

2870 would be your non-exercise day maintenance calories.
    Selecting 1lb/week loss takes 500 off that daily goal - hence 2370.

It includes your normal daily activity but not purposeful exercise.
  • seansta5
    Options

You aren't carrying anything over. Your body is using 2000 calories to maintain your current weight. Any time your net consumption is below that number, you lose weight. Eating exercise calories *does* lead to slower weight loss, but the idea with the MFP system is that it is healthier to keep to a consistent deficit every day rather than pushing yourself to burn every last calorie possible. So back to that example: your body needs 2000 calories to stay at your current weight. Your goal is to have a 500 calorie deficit every day. You can reach that goal by eating 1500 and not exercising at all, or by eating 2000 and burning 500. This adds up to a 3500 deficit a week, which is about a one pound loss. There are a lot of benefits to exercise, but bottom line, losing weight is about cutting calories, and it isn't necessary to work out to do that.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. I do not want to lose weight slowly. I am okay with not eating back my exercise calories.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

That is exactly what I was trying to say. I do not want to lose weight slowly. I am okay with not eating back my exercise calories.

The "slowness" is what protects your muscle mass (the stuff you don't want to lose while losing weight), ensures you meet your nutritional needs, and helps you maintain energy. If you chose a goal of one pound a week, why do you now want to lose more than that?
  • seansta5
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

2870 would be your non-exercise day maintenance calories.
    Selecting 1lb/week loss takes 500 off that daily goal - hence 2370.

It includes your normal daily activity but not purposeful exercise.

Thank you for this! So if I wanted to lose weight quicker I wouldnt have to eat back my exercise calories right? I can just exercise while eating the 2,370 calories per day which will leave me at a solid 500 calorie deficit plus whatever i burn during exercise? So say i burn 600 calories a day that would mean my total deficit would be 1,100 calories burned each day and that will be added to my fat loss at the end of the week?