Microwave yes or no? ?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I love my microwave. Not just for the time saving aspect of it, but also for the fact that it uses a lot less electricity than the stove or oven and doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer.

Having said that, there are a few foods I will not re-heat in the microwave because it changes the texture - pizza is a good example of this. It kinda gets rubbery and the crust isn't crust-y. :)

And I agree that it doesn't make any sense that microwaving food would reduce its levels of nutrients over 'conventional' methods.

@wi_denisha - curious as to where this brainwashing took place.

Mercola is anti microwave
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    I love cooking and turning a bunch of ingredients into something amazing . Only proper cooking techniques can get those great results . You want top quality food , you got to put in the time and effort .
    Cutting open a preservative laden ready meal and dumping it into a microwave is not exactly healthy eating .

How about reheating your leftovers? I cook a lot too, but I usually take leftovers to work for lunch...or I'll steam some broccoli for my veg side, etc...

I don't think the OP is talking about ready meals...I think she's talking about the microwave in general destroying the nutrients in food, which is total nonsense...
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Microwaves are only bad for nutrition, taste, texture, etc if you don't know how to use them properly.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love cooking and turning a bunch of ingredients into something amazing . Only proper cooking techniques can get those great results . You want top quality food , you got to put in the time and effort .
    Cutting open a preservative laden ready meal and dumping it into a microwave is not exactly healthy eating .

How about reheating your leftovers? I cook a lot too, but I usually take leftovers to work for lunch...or I'll steam some broccoli for my veg side, etc...

I don't think the OP is talking about ready meals...I think she's talking about the microwave in general destroying the nutrients in food, which is total nonsense...

I have used a microwave to heat up leftovers . Maybe they are safe or maybe not . I don't know .
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I don't 'cook' a lot of foods in the microwave. I do use it to steam fresh veggies, but most of our meals are traditionally prepared on the stove, bbq or in the oven.

I do, however, use the microwave all the time to re-heat leftovers, warm up a cup of coffee, soften ice cream that's rock hard and impossible to scoop, melt butter or to make popcorn. I also found a microwave device that makes *the best* poached eggs - perfectly done in about a minute, and another that cooks bacon to perfection. <3
  • finny11122
    Options

Would warming up the same meal in the oven make it any better? If not, your point is moot. :)

No . Cheap ready meals are bad in an oven or microwave . People come to this site to eat healthier and lose weight . Cooking from scratch with good healthy ingredients is a million times better and tastier than any microwave food . I bet you have alot of - I am Nino moments in your kitchen .

FYI: You can cook good meals from scratch with good healthy ingredients using only a microwave as a heating source.

Each to their own . Personally there is so many great chefs out there these days with great recipies that i would rather cook and learn from them . Everyone has different tastes at the end of the day .
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use my microwave to thaw frozen meat, re-heat leftovers, soften butter and pop corn. It is a newish model that 'senses' when it's time to stop, and the reheated or softened foods are not excessively heated.
  • finny11122
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I have used a microwave to heat up leftovers . Maybe they are safe or maybe not . I don't know .

Would you really be using it if you had any valid reason to think it unsafe?

If it was proven to be unsafe i would stop using it 100% .
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    I use my microwave to thaw frozen meat...

I forgot about that! I do this all the time, too. I used to have to defrost meat in the fridge or on the counter all day in order to have it be thawed by dinnertime. And I can't tell you the number of times I've taken out pork chops for dinner in the morning and then not actually felt like having porkchops when dinnertime rolled around.

By using the microwave, the meat stays safely frozen and I can decide right before dinner what's for dinner. ;)

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    I think I use my death box on average once a day. This weekend I made popcorn. It was very good.

I have tripped the breaker in my kitchen multiple times when I forget that I am cooking in my Instant Death Pot and pop something in the death box at the same time. My poor kitchen circuit can't handle so much danger at once.

It's clearly saving you from yourself. <nods>
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

Would warming up the same meal in the oven make it any better? If not, your point is moot. :)

No . Cheap ready meals are bad in an oven or microwave . People come to this site to eat healthier and lose weight . Cooking from scratch with good healthy ingredients is a million times better and tastier than any microwave food . I bet you have alot of - I am Nino moments in your kitchen .
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?