Any office/desk workers??

Options
I work in an office. I try to stay active by working out before and sometimes after work. While in the office I try to stand while doing some paper work or reading a report so I'm not constantly sitting down. lol don't know if that helps...What's your routine and how do you stay active while having a office/desk job?

Replies

• enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ohoh! me!

Yeah, the sitting all the time is killer and then i go home and sit in front of my computer to work on my class stuff (graduating next spring! woo!!)

I've started to set alarms for myself so that every two hours I force myself to go on a short walk - like five minutes or less - out and around the building. It's perfect right now because the weather is great and I'm not sure what I'll do when it starts to get icy/snowy - the ice being more the problem. But for now it gives me an extra 900-1000 steps a day and I'm going to start taking 20-30 min walks at lunch too.

I'm also looking into those standing desks that you can raise and lower. That would be helpful too!
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't use the printer in my office (use the conference room printer) and I have a small water bottle that requires frequent refills. My office building has a circular layout, which helps with "doing laps" without it looking like I'm never at my desk :D
  • amandaslims
    amandaslims Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym before and after work. I wear ankle weights at work (don't know if it helps at all) and walk a couple laps around the office whenever I can. Instead of messaging or calling my supervisor on the other side of the office, I walk over to his desk. At lunch, I walk around around the office (too hot here in TX to walk outside). If you have a parking garage at your work, park at the top and take the stairs.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm active outside of work. I exercise 5-7 times per week. I walk or bike everywhere including to and from work. At work, I focus on doing my work and finishing in a timely manner.
  • bonster82
    bonster82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too! My garmin watch tells me to move when i havent been active for an hour so i try to escape from my desk then to climb the 2 storeys to the top of the building then back down to my desk. In my lunch hour i go for a brisk walk between 30 and 45 mins. My main activity is after work / at weekend though with gym classes, running or cycling at least an hour 5 times a week (but usually much more than this anyway!). I also aim for 15,000 steps a day.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I manage an office so I am sure to get up and walk around the office checking in with staff and seeing how the day is progressing. I also work on the 4th floor so I always take the stairs up and down. Instead of sending emails to others on different floors, I try to go to their office and talk in person. It makes for great communication and gets me extra steps for that day.

I do my regular weight lifting and cardio after work for about 2 hours. I am currently on a 4 day split routine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I make time most days for deliberate exercise. I don't really try to stay active at work other than taking the stairs or getting up every hour to walk around the office...or go talk to a colleague in their office or cube rather than emailing them or paging them over the phone.

I'm also pretty active when I get home as I have a 7 and 5 year old who need played with and otherwise tended to...also, cooking, cleaning, yard work, fixing this or that, etc...I don't usually sit down when I get home until about 8:30 when my wife and I have our dinner.

I also avoid "rock star" parking pretty much wherever I go. I have a grocery store about 1 mile away from my house and if I just need a couple small things, I usually walk...stuff like that. But at work I don't really go too much out of my way to be active as my priority is getting my work done so that I don't get fired and can provide for my family...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    People in our office like to walk to coffee and use the excuse that we're talking through our problems and collaborating on solutions.
  • heatherland2
    heatherland2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the notifications set for my Fitbit and it reminds me to get moving. So I'll take a lap around the office (approx. 180 steps). If I need a signature from someone on another floor, instead of putting it in the cart, I will walk the stairs.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I carpool with my spouse and walk from his building to mine at the beginning and end of each day. It works out to about 20 minutes total. I've been experimenting with taking a third short walk mid-day, but that's a work in progress.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am an engineer all day...in front of a computer. Lethargic is the best description of my exertion at work.

At night and on weekends I run, swim, and cycle as well as work our farm. I squeeze in a Sprint Triathlon every now and again just to keep hearing my friends say that I am crazy.

I can do the above because my kids are grown and on their own...no way I could do this if there were still kids at home with homework, ball games, recitals, etc.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I made sure my keurig is at the opposite end of the building so I have to walk all the way down and back to get a coffee. I have 4 every day at work.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't work in an office, I have recently left my career to go to school full time to finish my graduate degree. So there's a lot of butt time where I'm seated all day, either in a classroom or the library. Add me.
  • appubaje
    appubaje Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to hit the gym during lunch time and a walk after dinner. If im missing the gym ill try to do some floor exercises in the evening. Buying some equipments like dumbbells, yoga mats abwheel etc also helps at home. Ive kept them near dining area to remind me not to over eat
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get up early to workout; spin class 3 days a week and interval class the other 3 days. I used to do pilates or an abs class during lunch. At work, I get up every so often.

I definitely go out for lunch and walk.

• krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I work in an office. I have 2 breaks and lunch. I walk at each one. Lunch is my longest time and by the end of the day. I have 4-6 miles. Tracking everything with fitbit/MFP and this seems to work for me. Good Luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you have an office with a door, close it and "walk" at your desk. This beats sweaty 90° days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE