Desk divas???

Options

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Desk job here! I pack lunches/snack daily, walk on my breaks, and go the gym regularly. I have lost 42 lbs doing this while having a sedentary job. You can totally do it, just stick with it and learn what works best for you and your situation.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I've had a desk job since the beginning of time, it seems. I try to get up at LEAST once an hour to stretch my legs for a few minutes, I take the stairs, park as far away in the parking lot as I can, walk on my break, avoid the vending machine and pack my own snacks/lunch. You know what I'd like, though? One of those under the desk steppers. Is that stupid? LOL
  • biemiller
    biemiller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Desk bound too. I try to get up and do laps around my floor, take the stairs, and count calories. I work out 7 days a week and include a mix of challenging strength and cardio routines. I'm also into meal prepping too, and that helps a lot!
  • esperanzab93
    esperanzab93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I work in an office, typical 9-5 computer job. How do I stay fit/get fit? It seems so hard to gain ground while sitting in an office all day.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk also although mostly from home. When in the office, I use the restroom 3 floors down from where I sit so I have to take the stairs. I also sit on the 6th floor and never take the elevator. I also walk during lunch and breaks. Park my car the furthest away I can in the lot. And if I go out to lunch, I walk there.

Lots of walking!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I spend my day at my desk or in meetings. I get my exercise by walking to meetings and to the bathroom and lugging my lunch with 32 oz of coffee and water. On weekends I walk around the house and push a grocery cart and lug groceries. I live in a house with 4 floors / 3 sets of stairs. According to my FitBit I average between 1 mile up to 2 miles doing this.

I eat mostly low carb and sugar, high protein and fat meals and between 1300 to 1500 calories a day.

I have lost 40 lbs so far.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I work in an office, typical 9-5 computer job. How do I stay fit/get fit? It seems so hard to gain ground while sitting in an office all day.

The comments above have lots of useful tips. :) Work activity into your workday, even if it's just taking the stairs or getting up to stretch your legs every hour. Find an activity you enjoy and do it after work.

And keep in mind that weight loss can be achieved purely through diet. Calculate your Sedentary TDEE and eat at a deficit! Accurate tracking with a digital scale is all you need.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Food really IS the biggest thing. One day a week I exercise for an hour, four to five days I exercise for 30 minutes, and I rest for 1 - 2 days a week depending on how tired I am. I work 50 - 60 hours a week at a desk and I've lost 36 lbs and hit goal weight. It's ultimately about commitment.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Lost 73 lbs working at a desk. What worked for me:

Food: Portion control and meal prep. Weigh and measure everything. Log accurately. Bringing breakfast, lunch, and snacks from home. Avoid candy jars, luncheons (unless I know what's being served and preplan for it) and break room snacks. Water to prevent mindless munching.

Activity: 4 am dvd or Youtube workouts, walking all my errands, taking the stairs, 1/2 hour cardio at gym during lunch when schedule permits. Walking in the park during lunch breaks if I can't get to the gym.

Since most of my day is work, family, and household responsibilities, being careful with food is priority. You can't out exercise a bad diet.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    How dare you call me a diva! *huffs*

I'm an IT rat with a desk job. I have back issues so the doc gave me a note so that my overlords will let me up every half an hour. I take walks over lunch, have a recumbent bike and Stepmania at home, and walk a lot. My back therapy's almost up so I might be able to go back to running and karate soon.

I also do all the normal weight loss stuff--weigh food, prep in advance, etc. 38 lbs. down, 12 to go. :)
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I don't worry too much about getting exercise in during the day because my days can get hectic. I focus on eating healthy and getting enough food and water. I tend to get too busy to eat or drink so I set an alarm on my phone to remind me. I work out with a trainer twice a week after work, do long family bike rides on the weekends and hit the gym for extra cardio 2-3 days a week.

Feel free to add me. We can all use extra motivation and support.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Also, my doc gives me new exercises occasionally. His latest is to have me run up six flights of stairs twice every other day, building to three times, then four, etc. It is fantastic fun.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I work from home at a desk full time so I don't even have to leave the house to go to work lol. I try to workout before work and have a desk cycle to pedal while I work for 1-2 hours a day.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm at a desk all day. I exercise before work and pack my lunch.
  • Amyfinch0
    Amyfinch0 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Desk monkey checking in! I have to take a packed lunch and leave my purse at home, or I WILL spend in the canteen.

I'm not a massive packed/cold lunch fan so making food for work is the most difficult meal for me.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Amyfinch0 wrote: »
    Desk monkey checking in! I have to take a packed lunch and leave my purse at home, or I WILL spend in the canteen.

I'm not a massive packed/cold lunch fan so making food for work is the most difficult meal for me.

I keep instant oatmeal and protein bars in my desk now to eat during the day. I used to forget all the time but now if I forget my lunch I'm covered.
  • jen070480
    jen070480 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too! I pack everything I eat and exercise multiple times per week
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Amyfinch0 wrote: »

Do you have access to a microwave at work? I am not a huge fan of cold lunches, but started making homemade soups and meals I could reheat with some of the individual microwave rice packs or steam veg packs.
  • kelseyllhunt
    kelseyllhunt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Desk worker here! I've lost 25 pounds (so far) and 99% of that has been eating healthy and controlling my portions. My snacks primarily consist of fruits and veggies, and I pack my lunch instead of having to eat out. If i do need to purchase lunch, I grab one of those frozen diet meals that are low in calorie and heat it up at the office.
  • Cazza_4040
    Cazza_4040 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm also chained to a desk all day and most nights! I work all day and study online at night. As a result I have gained 3 stone in 3 years!!!
    I really struggle to fit any activity in, but I'm going to try walking on my half hour lunch break and walking with my 6 year old every night after I pick him up from after school. I'm also thinking of buying a Fitbit to help motivate me into walking more!! I also read something about desk exercises and exercises to do in the bathroom during the day to try to burn some extra calories!! Might be worth a try