Do you tell everyone when you are on a diet?

Options
124»

Replies

• duanehubbard
    duanehubbard Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a few close friends who I knew would be supportive I've only told people who have noticed the loss and asked about it. I simply wanted to see how long it took most people I interact with to notice.
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No, for me that is like reminding someone I'm alive. In social situations I typically do not eat, or will order something very light (salad w/ dressing on the side so I can at least eye ball it, diet soda, fruit, fish, etc.) In fast-food social situations I go for whatever says chicken and then look it up later with a prayer. If I'm going to someone's house I don't do anything, I just eat what they make me and hope for the best.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I never use to in the past as I would never make it past 2 months but this time around as I am more motivated and dedicated I told everyone I could so that way It would keep me at it, that way when anyone asked how I was doing I could say well I lost this amount last week/fortnight/month, I have lasted 6 months now and still going.... sometimes it helps telling people but just depends what the people you are telling are like I guess, plus how you feel :)

I can't edit so have to quote myself lol, when I said I told everyone... the only people I talk to IRL are my partner, my mum and 2 brothers, my nana, uncle and his wife, my brothers wife, my partner's family, I only have 1 online friend I talk to on a regular basis, so apart from them, people on this website and sometimes I post on facebook but I only have family on my facebook so yeah.... plus I called it a healthy lifestyle instead of diet as it helped.
    My mum did annoy me in the first few months as she really wants me to lose weight so she would shout at me if she found out I had a cheat day but now she doesn't mind so much, she sees the results of my healthy lifestyle choice for herself so she doesn't criticise anymore. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Most coworkers that haven't known me long think I'm on a diet even when I'm not because a normal lunch for me is always low calorie (even when I was gaining weight). I like to eat almost all my calories in the evening so I rarely eat more than 300 calories for lunch whether I'm gaining, losing or maintaining.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    No, because then I get a lot of questions.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I didnt tell anyone until they commented on my weight loss. I have a bunch of great coworkers, who after a few months asked If I had lost a bunch of weight, and then asked if it was on purpose I said yes they said I looked great and I left it at that. I didnt even tell my husband right away, my parents noticed and so did he. I told them all im counting calories and my husband and I talk about it now. I think I didnt want the advice from anyone / I didnt want anyone to see me fail, so I kept it to myself.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I never told anyone I was on a diet because I never considered myself on a diet. I just chose to change how I eat to make my life better. Of course after losing 100+ lbs people ask how I did it, although many assume I had weight loss surgery. Even when they ask, I have learned that most really do not want to hear that I stopped eating everything in sight and started exercising. So I stopped answering the question.
    One time I did have a co-worker ask me is something wrong with me because I eat so healthy all the time and basically am not skinny. I showed her my before picture and she was stunned. Kinda rude, but I was not offended.
  • Amyfinch0
    Amyfinch0 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I kept my weight loss attempts a secret at first - I was afraid I'd fail and be judged for not making progress. I was also loathe to receive unsolicited advice (I like to figure things out on my own, which I have done).

However, 34 pounds down and I'm now more open about it with people. I work in an office and a big issue for all of us there is gaining weight in our sedentary roles, so this means there is a culture of weight loss talk. It used to drive me mad when I was complacent about my weight and refused to do anything about it, so I'm careful to only talk about it with colleagues who have openly identified themselves as trying to lose weight (which is most of them frankly).

It's actually lovely - we're all supportive of each other, we like to hear each other's approaches, and we know how to laugh at ourselves.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Never cause I'm not. If they ask how I lose weight, I just tell them I eat a little less. The bigger deal you make out of it, the bigger deal they will.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    If someone asks I'm honest but I don't talk about it because I don't feel the need to.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do if it comes up but I don't use "diet" (and most of us around the office don't). We say "meal plan" or "learning/practice better eating habits". And on some days we say, "who is bringing the donuts?" :-)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I always fell off and felt guilty about it. This time around, I only told my mom and boyfriend - they're the ones with whom I share meals most often, so they've been more considerate In picking food options.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Nope , it's a difference if someone says "hey you look like you lost some weight" then I'll respond "yea I dropped a couple of pounds" but I wouldn't just say I'm on a diet
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Generally, no, since it always begins a barage of unsolicited advice and woo from uneducated people. My husband usually knows my dietary goals and there are certain people I am ok with discussing my diet with.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No. I don't tell anyone other than my husband.

The last time I told my MIL, she shamed me infront of the entire in law side of the family for eating ice cream the day before, even though that ice cream fit within my calories. :expressionless:
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Nope. Unless I am asked, then I tell them that I'm not on a diet, I just changed my lifestyle to be healthier.
  • cperkins18
    cperkins18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't need anyone eyeing what I eat or don't eat, and I certainly don't want to be burdened by their expectations - positive or negative! I do occasionally talk to a close friend who has successfully lost and kept off lot of weight. I also try not to think of what I'm doing as dieting. Like some others here, I'm trying for a long-term lifestyle change, not a short-term diet.