Halo top question

Options
Ok, I.. like many of you, adore halo top. But i have noticed on nights i have it lateish after dinner (9pm or so) that i get horrible sleep. I wake up sometimes in the middle of the night or very early before my alarm with that kind of rush of anxiety similar to when i have had a but too much to drink the night before. Has anyone else experienced this? Obviously the remedy would be not to eat it too late at night, but i am curious if im the only one. Im not eating a crazy amount -- half a pint at most. Could it be the "sugar"?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Was it chocolate? The caffeine?
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Any flavor does it!
  • threesixten
    Options
    zsesame wrote: »
    It sounds like you might unconsciously believe that you cheated and ate "real" high fat ice cream. You might try writing out a short statement for yourself telling yourself that you ate food that is on your meal plan and that you are all right. Read the statement a few times, out loud, before you go to sleep. It works for me.

Hmm. Maybe! I am definitely hyper conscious of when I over indulge. I'll try tonight!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might unconsciously believe that you cheated and ate "real" high fat ice cream. You might try writing out a short statement for yourself telling yourself that you ate food that is on your meal plan and that you are all right. Read the statement a few times, out loud, before you go to sleep. It works for me.

Um ok...
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You might be having trouble digesting it. If you eat a different food close to bedtime, does the same thing happen?

I can't have pasta within 2 hours of sleeping or I'll sleep terribly. But having it for dinner around 8 and going to bed around 10:30 works out fine.

~Lyssa
  • threesixten
    Options

Um ok...

Eh, sure, it sounds weird but so are brains.
  • threesixten
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    You might be having trouble digesting it. If you eat a different food close to bedtime, does the same thing happen?

I can't have pasta within 2 hours of sleeping or I'll sleep terribly. But having it for dinner around 8 and going to bed around 10:30 works out fine.

~Lyssa

Nope-- I have only noticed this with Halo top!
  • threesixten
    Options
    If I suspected a fake ice cream of doing that to me, I'd return to real ice cream.

Nevarr :)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    So would you rather have bad sleep, real ice cream, or neither?

Frankly, I think it all sounds like a bunch of woo, but I'm also seemingly the odd one out who doesn't understand the fascination of Halo Top beyond people seeming to be "OMG SO MUCH ICE CREAM" or "ICE CREAM FOR NO CALORIES!" I'm also an ice cream snob, though, and would rather have 65 grams of something that tastes good, where I can count all of the ingredients on one hand. (I make my own. Cream + milk + sugar + coffee (or peaches, or whatever else I'm using as the flavor).)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Well, the sweetener in Halo Top is erythritol. It's a sugar alcohol, and some people have digestive issues when they ingest too much of it. Stuff like rumbly stomach, diarrhea, and nausea. I've never heard of erythritol causing anxiety and sleeplessness, but it could be a possibility.
  • threesixten
    Options
    So would you rather have bad sleep, real ice cream, or neither?

Frankly, I think it all sounds like a bunch of woo, but I'm also seemingly the odd one out who doesn't understand the fascination of Halo Top beyond people seeming to be "OMG SO MUCH ICE CREAM" or "ICE CREAM FOR NO CALORIES!" I'm also an ice cream snob, though, and would rather have 65 grams of something that tastes good, where I can count all of the ingredients on one hand. (I make my own. Cream + milk + sugar + coffee (or peaches, or whatever else I'm using as the flavor).)

I get that, but I have major trouble stopping myself, so it is a comfort to know if I did go overboard on halo top that it would be 1/4 as "bad" as a pint of Ben and Jerry's. To each his own!
  • threesixten
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Well, the sweetener in Halo Top is erythritol. It's a sugar alcohol, and some people have digestive issues when they ingest too much of it. Stuff like rumbly stomach, diarrhea, and nausea. I've never heard of erythritol causing anxiety and sleeplessness, but it could be a possibility.

Aye, I'll look into that some more!