Aquafit, just for seniors or good for anyone?

Options
I am of the impression that aquafit is just for seniors (or people with mobility issues etc). However, I am quite interested in trying a water exercise class because I really hate exercising and I hate being sweaty and sore etc. I'm thinking that an aquafitness class might help alleviate some of those problems.

But I'm concerned that it's only going to be old people who may wonder why this whippersnapper is in their group OR that the class won't be challenging enough. I'm far from fit and I'm not an athlete AT ALL so it doesn't need to be hardcore or anything.

Anyone have any experience with aquafit or any tips or tricks for me? Thanks :)

Replies

• Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did water aerobics for years. Some of the early morning classes were mostly seniors, but other times of day there was a good mix. The nice thing about water aerobics is the class is as hard as you make it. If you are in deep water, you add the element of treading water. If you are chest high there is more resistance than waist deep, etc. A good instructor will be able to help you modify if you need more intensity.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I started with aqua fit as my first exercise because I hated sweating B)

I go to an evening class and it has ages 18-80, men and women, and all kinds of fitness levels.

When I started (shallow aqua fit where you are chest deep) I was so unfit my feet were on the pool bottom most of the time doing modified moves, and trying to figure out how to balance and stay in one spot.

I was surprised how fast I got the hang of it all, and could start putting a whole load of energy into the moves- leaping high enough that my bellybutton was out of the water.

Give it a go, they are friendly, fun classes.

Cheers, h.
  • misshellybell
    misshellybell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the past and was actually surprised how hard some of the tasks were. Keeping them floats under water is harder than you think haha. I wouldn't worry if it's just elderly people. If you are not the fittest of people it may be a good place to start. Build up some fitness then move it to the gym or home workout. Give it a try. You may love it
  • jennifer_runs
    jennifer_runs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is normally a huge mix of ages in these classes, although some are designed for seniors. Some are billed as aqua-jogging or pool-running and designed for younger people, too. It just depends on the pool.

One thing to keep in mind, though-- it's pretty easy just to float along and not work very hard in these classes. If you do that you won't burn many calories or get much exercise benefit. It takes a lot of effort to get a good workout. I have done quite a bit of pool running as rehab or supplement to outdoor running-- but usually on my own and not with a class. I use a HRM while I am in the pool so I can gauge my effort.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you talk to the instructor and just try a class. There are probably different types of aqua classes available--shallow, deep, aqua Zumba, bootcamp. Etc..
    Worrying what otherd might be thinking but probably aren't isn't going to accomplish anything. What if they did think that, how would you know and what difference would it make? Older people who work out are among the least judgemental you'll find, they've been through hard times and are still fighting. It is the "Young whippersnappers" who tend to be harsher on others.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I did aquafit for years. I loved it! As lorrpb said, there are likely different types. I've done shallow, deep and aqua Zoomba. I don't have the stamina for bootcamp. I went to a morning class, so there were a lot of seniors there, but some younger folks were there who weren't working during that time. At my fitness center there were after work classes which were composed mostly of younger folks who weren't retired. If you like the water, you will certainly like aquafit classes.
  • Frobie
    Frobie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I know it's not reasonable or rational to be concerned with what others think, but you know how it can be...

I just went and checked out a brand new city-run fitness facility that is very beautiful...and because it's city-run, it's also affordable. I'm thinking I may go check out a "regular" aquafit class there and then gauge if I want to move to a zumba, bootcamp, deep end, or some other class.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wanted to go to aquasize class for well over a year before I got the courage to go. Afraid to be seen in a swimsuit, worried I'd look dumb - all the stupid reasons and excuses. Once I bucked it up and went I was hooked. Quite surprised at how fun it is and what a great workout. My local pool has 3 different levels of classes and some are harder than others. As another poster mentioned, it can be as easy or difficult as you make it and all ages come to all 3 classes. I've been going now 3-4 times a week for over 2 years and my fitness level and mobility has really improved. Plus, it's a good workout and you don't get sweaty.

What are you waiting for? Try it out!
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Last year I was in a car wreck (teenager texting rear-ended me) grrrrrrrr!
    Physical therapy helped, and they suggested aqua fit once I "graduated" from them.

The early morning class that fit my schedule was seniors, pregnant women, and me. All the seniors were super friendly and never once made me feel excluded. In fact, they were more energetic and flexible than some of my circuit class people! I want to be just like them when I'm 70. It was very clear that lifelong exercise pays huge dividends!

The instructor made the class work for everyone. She demonstrated different levels so that each person could pick the level they wanted. Don't be afraid to chat with the instructor before class and mention you are a novice and would appreciate seeing different levels of the exercises. I'm sure your instructor would happily help!

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Frobie wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I know it's not reasonable or rational to be concerned with what others think, but you know how it can be...

well, you know. *shrug*. i got shovelled into doing it when they diagnosed me with r.a. because all the world knows people with r.a. magically discover meditation and yoga, become info tech workers now that their bodies have failed . . . and take to the pool /sarcasm face.

and the fact is, i was 37 at the time and nobody let me forget it and all i had in common with any of the others was the disease itself [which they claimed i was 'too young' to have anyway]. so i hated the entire thing.

tl;dr: i don't think it's unreasonable to care what others think, if you're likely to be subjected to what others think. it is leisure time and it is yours, so it seems fair to me that you'd want to spend it doing something that you'll enjoy.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    at the leisure centre I use they have aqua fit and aqua attack.

aqua fit = for older, unfit, beginners, there is a massive age range in this group (18 - 80)

aqua attack = aggressive, for fitter people, this group seems to be more ages 18- 45
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The age range has been pretty inclusive every time I've gone; if anything, it tends towards 40 and under.

I think I get most of my exercise in those classes from laughing at my lack of ability to do anything right underwater. :p They're fun!