Can I still lose weight drinking wine?

Options
124»

Replies

• Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    There is not one specific food or drink that will cause you to gain weight if you are within your calorie goals.
    That's not true . Calories doesn't only play a role , if you eat nothing but pizza but hit your calorie goal you will gain weight because of the high sodium and terrible carbs and fats .

Your body will digest a big dose of refined carbs or sugar, and send it into your bloodstream so quickly- that unless you are running a marathon or playing basketball- most of it will be stored as fat before your body even has a chance to use it.

What you're describing here is called 'de novo lipogenesis' - generating new fat out of other nutrients - and is quite rare.

The body can convert energy between different nutrient types, but it is reluctant to do so, as there is a loss of energy in the conversion.

Spare carbs in the bloodstream are more likely to be stored as glycogen, or used up straight away in the energetic rush that follows eating the carbs.

At the same time, fat in the bloodstream is surplus to requirements and will be stored rather than being used up as might otherwise have happened.

It's a complicated bookkeeping process in which the body aims to use up the energy available in the most efficient way possible - ie to keep fat as fat, and carbs as carbs, unless there is no alternative.

For a significant amount of new fat to be created, the diet has to be very unbalanced, with a lot of excess carbs and very little fat. A traditional junk food diet does not qualify! There is no shortage of fat on a pizza.

Anyway, as you say, even when new fat is created from carbs, it doesn't cause more weight gain than if the same amount of calories was consumed as fat and stored directly. It all comes down to calories in the end.

Well said!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    p4ze02mah5y1.gif

Are we saying our wine glasses aren't like this?
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There is not one specific food or drink that will cause you to gain weight if you are within your calorie goals.
    That's not true . Calories doesn't only play a role , if you eat nothing but pizza but hit your calorie goal you will gain weight because of the high sodium and terrible carbs and fats .

Your body will digest a big dose of refined carbs or sugar, and send it into your bloodstream so quickly- that unless you are running a marathon or playing basketball- most of it will be stored as fat before your body even has a chance to use it. The unused calories go straight to your fat cells and are not even available for immediate energy.

So it's possible to eat all empty or "bad" calories ( like sugar, or refined carbohydrates)- while eating a reduced calorie diet, and not BE HEALTHY ( or even have enough energy to function)......so then you eat more- and gain more weight.

But if you eat fewer calories than your body is using- you will lose weight. No disputing this.
    NOT TRUE . Thousands of people struggle with weight loss because of what they eat! Caloric deficit or not ! It's not only about calories . That's why nutrition labels are made for . I use to be in a caloric deficit a year ago . Eating things like pizza n high sodium foods . I was keeping track of all it still didn't lose weight I gained weight . Your body isn't gonna burn FAT while your eating all of that salt it's gonna make you bloated and all of those saturated fats and sky high carbs . Why would your body burn fat when your bringing in all of this unnecessary ENERGY? I've learned on how to lose weight and it's not by eating junk . We're suppose to eat healthy for a reason .
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

False
    No it's TRUE . This is why majority of ppl struggle with weightloss because they say their eating in a caloric deficit but eating all crap . I know from my own experience and other ppl have had the same issue .

Oooh, anecdata! Well snap, take that science.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

False
    No it's TRUE . This is why majority of ppl struggle with weightloss because they say their eating in a caloric deficit but eating all crap . I know from my own experience and other ppl have had the same issue .

So you're arguing that if I eat fewer calories than I burn but eat a lot of what we'll call "junk food" I won't lose weight? How would that work? Given that we can't create fat out of thin air...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If I count it within my calories so I don't go over, would a glass of wine a night or every other night affect my weight loss?

Read my username.

Check out my avatar.

(I think I will stick my ticker in for fun too:)

58841349.png
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    *raises a glass to a good day and a solid deficit*
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Why would your body burn fat when your bringing in all of this unnecessary ENERGY?
    Because ultimately you're eating at a deficit, hence you are taking in less ENERGY than you need, which results in the body utilizing fat stores for fuel once it has exhausted the energy from the food you are digesting.
    My diet has been crappy choices wise more often than not over the past month and I've lost plenty. Guess I'm just magic?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Your body will digest a big dose of refined carbs or sugar, and send it into your bloodstream so quickly- that unless you are running a marathon or playing basketball- most of it will be stored as fat before your body even has a chance to use it. The unused calories go straight to your fat cells and are not even available for immediate energy.

So it's possible to eat all empty or "bad" calories ( like sugar, or refined carbohydrates)- while eating a reduced calorie diet, and not BE HEALTHY ( or even have enough energy to function)......so then you eat more- and gain more weight.

But if you eat fewer calories than your body is using- you will lose weight. No disputing this.
    NOT TRUE . Thousands of people struggle with weight loss because of what they eat! Caloric deficit or not ! It's not only about calories . That's why nutrition labels are made for . I use to be in a caloric deficit a year ago . Eating things like pizza n high sodium foods . I was keeping track of all it still didn't lose weight I gained weight . Your body isn't gonna burn FAT while your eating all of that salt it's gonna make you bloated and all of those saturated fats and sky high carbs . Why would your body burn fat when your bringing in all of this unnecessary ENERGY? I've learned on how to lose weight and it's not by eating junk . We're suppose to eat healthy for a reason .

Unless you were making your own pizza and weighing all your ingredients, I suspect you were eating far more calories than you thought.

Also, all calories are energy. It's literally a unit of energy.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Lol. Physics and basic Biochemistry disagree with you. Are you honestly suggesting that eating different proportions of salt alters the metabolic pathways within your body?

Damn, I must have missed that part of my undergrad.