Is 1,700 calories too much?

Options
Hey guys! New here. I am 5ft 2, 14stone and age 28 and MFP has given me 1700 calories a day.

Is it too much?

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on your activity level. One of my best friends is a runner (I personally loathe cardio). He gets up every morning and runs anywhere from 5-10 miles depending on the weather, and cruises a 6 minute mile. He also eats 4000 calories a day, because he burns them all off!

So yeah, if you're active then 1700 is just fine.
  • xLucha_Dorax
    xLucha_Dorax Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me! I work in an office but try and work out 5 days a week even if it's just half an hour on the circuit trainer. I put light in the options though.

Also 1700 is just a suggestion right? I could eat less and be okay?
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the eating less... most women need about 1,200 just to fuel the body's basic functions (heart, digestion, growing hair and nails etc) so it's best not to eat below this once you've taken exercise calories into consideration.

Do try and keep eating minus exercise at least at 1,200 to avoid storing up potentially invisible problems for the future!
  • lexington88
    lexington88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, You've got pretty similar stats to me, except I'm 5'4 and a year older than you. What have you set your goal to lose? And what did you set your activity level to?
  • xLucha_Dorax
    Options
    I set it to light I work in an office but try to work out 5 days a week. Looking to lose 4 stone
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I doubt it's too little. MFP generates these goals based on your details, and your target loss rate. MFP plugs that information (height, weight, sex) into some calculations developed through scientific study of people and their calorie needs. There are outliers in either direction, but until you have evidence to the contrary, assume you're not.

Remember that the bigger a person's body is, the more calories they need each day to stay the same weight. That applies to weight, not just height. That four stone you want to lose increases your calorific needs in two ways: first- it needs fuel itself, and secondly, participating in daily activity burns more calories the more of you there is to move. It's like strapping a heavy backpack to your back and walking for a mile, versus a light leisurely stroll over the same distance without it.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. Give it two to four weeks and then adjust as needed. :)
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1700 is my maintenance for sedantary activity level, I'm 5ft 3 and I weigh 150lbs (10st 10lbs). If you weigh more than that then eating 1700 should definitely put you in a deficit, even if you aren't very active.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you set your activity level correctly MFP usually generates a good estimate. Beware that some people believe they are more active than they actually are. I'm only slightly lighter than you (although taller) and this is about right for me when I'm reasonably active.
  • lexington88
    lexington88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    Sounds about right to me. Give it two to four weeks and then adjust as needed. :)

I agree with this. Try it out for a couple of weeks, and if you're not seeing the results you want, then you can look into lowering your calories/raising your activity level.

I'd maybe consider changing your activity level to sedentary though. I always think that the activity level correlates with how you spend the majority of your day, so if you work in an office sitting down for most of the day, you're spending most of your day sedentary. You can add the calories you burn from exercise manually.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I set it to light I work in an office but try to work out 5 days a week. Looking to lose 4 stone

i would set it to sedentary and then eat back your exercise cals.
  • xLucha_Dorax
    Options
    I mean that I would eat over 1200 but not go as so far as 1700. I just feel that I won't loose weight. Isn't that a bit high? Sorry I'm just unsure
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I mean that I would eat over 1200 but not go as so far as 1700. I just feel that I won't loose weight. Isn't that a bit high? Sorry I'm just unsure

try it...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

It really depends on activity and stats. A few weeks ago I was eating 1800-2200 calories and lost weight because I was more active than usual .

If you are unsure of your activity level, just follow these recommendations and watch how your weight behaves for a few weeks, and adjust your calories up or down accordingly.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

as others have said, eat 1700 for 4 weeks and then adjust if necessary. You will have to reduce your calories as you get lighter anyway so why start off eating less than you have to.
  • xLucha_Dorax
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys x
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

It doesn't sound a bit high at all. Honestly.
  • jrotando
    jrotando Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I started this program 14 days ago, at 172.2 lbs (67 in). I am 70.5 yrs old, and wanted to get back to about 158 lbs. The program assessed my caloric need at 1700 and set 1500 as the limit to reach my goal with about at 1.1 lb loss per week (average). I am averaging around 1000 - 1400 over the period, and after 14 days I am at 165 lbs. I also balance food with intense walking (4 - 5 miles per day at 4.0 mph) and am losing well. If you keep hydrated (important!) and focused, you can exceed the amount, but you have to "read" your body. If you feel excessively weak or strained, then you have gone too far. How you feel, balanced with your losses, is probably the best way to go...A lot of folks seem to be at the 1700 range as a maintenance caloric intake.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! New here. I am 5ft 2, 14stone and age 28 and MFP has given me 1700 calories a day.

Is it too much?

It gave me 1710 to start with. My beginning stats were Female, 5ft2, 254 lbs (18 stone 2lbs), age 44 and I told MFP I wanted to lose 1lb per week.

75lbs lost and my calories are down to 1380. My activity is up, but since all my exercise is purposeful (if I didn't 'make' myself go for a walk or strength train, I'd get very little in my daily routine), I still have my settings on sedentary and eat back half my exercise. I still eat around 1700 daily, give or take 100.