Plant based people, where ya at?

Options
PinkPupper
PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
My friend's list needs more fruit and veg!

I've been 100% plant based for over 4 years. I make an effort to consume whole foods as much as possible. However, a pint of dairy free Ben and Jerry's is hard to resist sometimes.
My goals at the moment are weightloss and to increase my overall endurance through cardio. I've lost 3lb so far :)

Feel free to send me a friend request. I also have a blog via MFP if you're curious about my stats and a little background info about me. Can't wait to veggify my newsfeed

Replies

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    plant based in the house!!!
  • mullintj
    mullintj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm really new to this whole weight loss thing, but I have been vegan for 1.5 years now :)
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    There's a bunch of us in the clean eating group.
  • PinkPupper
    Options
    StevLL wrote: »
    There's a bunch of us in the clean eating group.

Thanks for the heads up ❤️
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There's the Happy Herbivores group at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores too
  • Hikesandhalfmarathons
    Options
    Yo HMU I'm new to eating predominantly plant based. Hope to go 100% in the near future :)
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm two weeks into eating plant based /vegan and I love it! I feel amazing!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm coming off of a whole foods, plant based experiment, due to some unexpected negatives that happened, but I still eat a mostly plant based diet-I now follow the DASH woe and focus on veg/fruit, whole grains, and then small amounts of dairy, meat (3 ounces or less a day), nuts and seeds, etc. Added sweets are still pretty limited and is usually my beloved Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n' sour sauce lol :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    So, it sounds like by plant based you mean vegan and not just a diet that has mostly plants as a base, correct? And 100% plant based includes occasional ice cream?
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here, (milk,eggs,and cheese sparingly) was Vegetarian for 8 yrs, then stopped for a pregnancy and am back after 3 yrs, for the last 3 months. Weight loss desired, 50 lbs goal. Age 38, 5'5(barely) 196.
  • PinkPupper
    Options
    I'm coming off of a whole foods, plant based experiment, due to some unexpected negatives that happened, but I still eat a mostly plant based diet-I now follow the DASH woe and focus on veg/fruit, whole grains, and then small amounts of dairy, meat (3 ounces or less a day), nuts and seeds, etc. Added sweets are still pretty limited and is usually my beloved Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n' sour sauce lol :)

Sorry for the late response. I forget to check the Community tab.

Transitioning can be tough! It took me about 4 months to covert to 100% plant based. I was pescaterian for 5 years as well :)

How's the veg life treating you?

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Just watched "What the Health".....so I'm starting a plant based diet today. If you have any good ideas for a beginner please add me

Watch a better documentary.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

So, it sounds like by plant based you mean vegan and not just a diet that has mostly plants as a base, correct? And 100% plant based includes occasional ice cream?
    She did say dairy-free. Not a 'whole food', but definitely plant-based!

Side-point: cannot wait for Ben and Jerry's to release their new vegan range in the UK- all the reviews from US vegans say it's great.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan since November. Looking for more whole food recipes :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Plant based is such a vague term... Grain is plant based, sugar is plant based, oils are plant based, fruit and vegies are plant based, alcohol and many drugs are plant based.
    Dairy, meat, eggs... From animals that survive on plants...

I'm not "plant based" but I eat around 1.5kgs vegies and fruit a day...
  • hardyh
    hardyh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 22 years, added oily fish so I guess 'Pescetarian' about 5 years ago. 27 years without any 'meat'. Have recently been delving a lot more into decent nutrition - with astonishing results compared to just training. Still have some fish and dairy, but diet is becoming more and more 'plant-based'.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Plant based is such a vague term... Grain is plant based, sugar is plant based, oils are plant based, fruit and vegies are plant based, alcohol and many drugs are plant based.
    Yep. That's why I consume most of those.
    Dairy, meat, eggs... From animals that survive on plants...

I'm not "plant based" but I eat around 1.5kgs vegies and fruit a day...
    I don't think anyone really misunderstands 'plant-based' to mean eating herbivorous animals vs eating carnivorous animals, though. :D

The English language is fluid, but not that fluid.

That said, I don't really like the term 'plant-based' so much, because it's a bit fuzzy. My diet would fall under that umbrella, but so would the diet of anyone who planned to eat mostly plant-derived meals with some animal products. "Plant-based" would not be very helpful to a concerned host at a gathering.
  • NadiaSweety
    NadiaSweety Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Plant based for almost 5 years. I have tried almost every vegan/vegetarian diet under the sun in that time. But, long story short and a medical sob story or two, I suppose I am a reluctant pescetarian (lacto-ovo vegetarian + fish Oil) with goals to make it back to vegan, some day.