Alcohol Free August 2017

Options

Replies

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well, I drank Friday night at a social gathering. I just knew I wasn't going to make it... Although, I drank way less than I normally do, so I guess that's a plus. Oh well....
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well, I drank Friday night at a social gathering. I just knew I wasn't going to make it... Although, I drank way less than I normally do, so I guess that's a plus. Oh well....

Well there's progress! Focus on the progress you are making.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Start of day 4. Really struggled tonight, very tempted to go and pick up a bottle of vino, but stayed on plan. Boredom seems to be the big enemy here, need to get a hobby :smile: Good luck to all!

I find that to be the case for me too. instead of reaching for the wine, I have been reaching for the dog leash and taking her for long walks. Everybody wins!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Week one was a success in staying under my goal.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! I like my Tequila on my weekends off but it leads to more frequent drinking. Count me in and my goal is to just refrain from buying alcohol. Period. No drinking for August.
  • hay_whitney
    hay_whitney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I need motivation to do this! I tell myself every month that this will be the month I will do it. I have a drink or two almost nightly and much more on the weekends. When I don't drink, however, I crave sugar and often times I give in. I have found that Halo top high protein ice cream usually does the trick. I know that it is keeping me from achieving my goals. I just want to lost that last 10 lbs!
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Day seven. Still an effort, but getting better.
  • PurpleLavender77
    edited August 2017
    Options
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    Day seven. Still an effort, but getting better.

Awesome! It is getting easier each day! I agree. Keep up the great work Fred! And everyone else...keep up the good work!
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    velocity60 wrote: »
    I feel like I should take myself off the challenge because I've failed badly . However I find all of your comments so inspiring that I'm thinking that maybe it's the inspiration to start . I don't want to bore everyone with my story but you all are so right about the boredom. I'm retired at 56 so it's tough filling my days up as it is , in a new town where all my friends & family can't wait until happy hour to start their social time . I need a night job! Or maybe some demanding class to do at night . Thank You again for your inspiration , I'm going to try to make 8:8 day 1 !

You got this! Don't give up!
  • limpidrealm
    limpidrealm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm definitely in! I'm on day 3 with no alcohol so far. I could definitely use support in sharing the same goal to keep it cut out and reach my weight loss goals!
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    I feel like I should take myself off the challenge because I've failed badly . However I find all of your comments so inspiring that I'm thinking that maybe it's the inspiration to start . I don't want to bore everyone with my story but you all are so right about the boredom. I'm retired at 56 so it's tough filling my days up as it is , in a new town where all my friends & family can't wait until happy hour to start their social time . I need a night job! Or maybe some demanding class to do at night . Thank You again for your inspiration , I'm going to try to make 8:8 day 1 !

Don't give up! Keep taking it one day at a time. Awareness and willingness to make a change and/or make good choices is HUGE. Being awake is half the battle! Everyone is welcome here regardless of where they are at in their journey each day and this entire month. We all have our individual battles we are fighting. We each have to fight the battle each day. But the point of this thread is so you can get inspiration from others and support.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol for Lent in February. It has been good for my budget, but can't say I look or feel better. I was really hoping my face would be less puffy but apparently age is the issue, not booze. It can't hurt not to drink however.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    aaaaxx wrote: »
    msp612 wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations on what to drink if not alcohol at a party? We are very social and if I don't have a glass in my hand everyone thinks there is something wrong. I am also trying to do no alcohol in August. Thinking seltzer water or Kombucha to "mimic" a cocktail.

My sister has a trick. She orders white wine and separate sparkling water. Secretly orders 2 glasses and fills one . The wine one she leaves on a table. When shots are ordered she always accepts and silly as it sounds , when people down their shots she throws hers over her shoulder. I have never tried but she has super fast reflexes and no one ever notices ...lol... as you can imagine she is amazing at networking on a drinks work night .....once people have 1 or 2 in them they stop noticing

That seems really expensive. Is it so weird not drinking? There are so many alcoholics it seems odd to disapprove of a non-drinker.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday we turned this party ship of my dad visiting around . Instead of visiting we planted in my garden & cleaned the garage . No wine ! It was 8 pm & I was still going strong out there. Didn't even miss it ! You all were the key inspiration to my Day 1
    Keeping busy helps for both eating and drinking for me which, sometimes, are just an activity. Sometimes its seems easier to substitute an activity rather than just to stop one.
  • deekayg
    deekayg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Will you count me in on 8/9? I'm a little worried about the weekend of the 19th because we will be camping for the eclipse...but I want to at least keep my low carb beer to the weekends now.
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    deekayg wrote: »
    Will you count me in on 8/9? I'm a little worried about the weekend of the 19th because we will be camping for the eclipse...but I want to at least keep my low carb beer to the weekends now.

Absolutely!
  • anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Staying strong here. I did not stay under my losing weight calories today but I didn't go over my maintenance calories, if that makes any sense. I almost went to that place - I'm already over, maybe I should have a glass of wine but I was able to stop that thought and am drinking my sparkling water now and watching tv.