Insanity: should I try it?

Options
I've heard this question pop up quite a bit, in terms of bigger people trying it out. So, I'm 5'1, 200lbs, and very active. I do a lot of cardio (can walk 5 miles in an hour fifteen minutes) and can do weighted squats of 200lbs. I do not consider myself morbidly obese, though my BMI suggests otherwise. Having said this, I know I am overweight, yet I'm strength training, so my weight can also be attributed to muscle mass as well as fat. Anyway! I don't want to sound stupid and be picked on. I hear Insanity is, well, insane. But I like a challenge and am starting MMA/BJJ within the next two months. Should I look more into Insanity, is my body ready, or should I take on MMA and see from there? I like a challenge and know my limits. Thoughts?

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you like a challenge, go for it!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've heard this question pop up quite a bit, in terms of bigger people trying it out. So, I'm 5'1, 200lbs, and very active. I do a lot of cardio (can walk 5 miles in an hour fifteen minutes) and can do weighted squats of 200lbs. I do not consider myself morbidly obese, though my BMI suggests otherwise. Having said this, I know I am overweight, yet I'm strength training, so my weight can also be attributed to muscle mass as well as fat. Anyway! I don't want to sound stupid and be picked on. I hear Insanity is, well, insane. But I like a challenge and am starting MMA/BJJ within the next two months. Should I look more into Insanity, is my body ready, or should I take on MMA and see from there? I like a challenge and know my limits. Thoughts?

i loved insanity. shaun t is great. its a decent cardio workout.

for weight loss, its all about your calorie deficit.

for fitness, pick something you like the look of and give it a go.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I like insanity, and would certainly recommend giving it a shot, but just be ready for the fact that you'll struggle with it and will have to take it *a lot* slower than instructed. You may want to build more of a cardio base so you don't feel left behind. Or you may be happy taking breaks and self regulating. Also beware of the many high impact moves with higher weight, you don't want to injure yourself.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did it in a class with an instructor and absolutely loved it. Doing it with an instructor meant getting the motivation from the group as well as modifiers/adjustments to be able to succeed. I'd definitely recommend doing it that way rather than the DVD's, at least to start with!
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I liked insanity, it's definitely a full body workout. That being said, it is high impact. If you have any knee or back problems, may not be the best thing for you. My husband tried it, but it really aggravated an old knee injury.

And like others have said, you likely won't be able to keep up at first. Go at your own pace, and build up.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    modify, modify, modify! it's not great at showing modifications, so I just did what I could. for instance a steady squat in place of the jump squat. eventually I was able to add some jump squats, then go back to modifying as needed.

it is tough but doable. I'd suggest additional stretch warm up before and after as I think that was a main culprit of my injuries.
  • samoejr
    samoejr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have a love-hate relationship with insanity. It's a very intense workout that I've had impressive results with. As others suggested, you might need to modify some of the movements so I'd recommend insanity max 30 because there's a modifier. Also I find it more challenging as it focuses on strength more than the original insanity IMO.