Getting abs

Options
Hi i am just wondering the best things to do and eat to get my abs showing?
That is currently me now lh078sn0r5f2.jpg

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Abs is not something I have...but I've heard people say lose body fat with lifting and calorie deficit
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Strip down to low body fat and, if they're there - they'll show.

Otherwise, there are loads of ab exercises on the web - planks, crunches, lifting etc. (Basically any exercise that engages your core - squats, presses etc. - will firm up the 'top' abs. Leg raises, hundreds and the like will stimulate the harder to work 'lower' abs).

Good luck - I'm 47 and if I can do it, anyone can :-)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    My abs are visible at more than 22% body fat, but I don't carry fat on my stomach area keeping those easily visible.
    I have a very active job, do cardio with 5lb ankle weights, 10 minute ab workouts with 10lb ankle weights, weight lift, yoga, and 30-60 minutes of my 7lb hula hoop on days I feel lazy.

I eat about 2k calories a day with cheat weekends (I'm a huge foodie with a giant appetite when I travel. I love to eat!)
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Lowering your body fat is the only way to get your abs to show
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I like the ab twist machine at the gym. For home I like planks. So I guess lots of core exercise should help. It won't make you spot reduce, bc that isn't real, but over time you can improve the muscles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lower body fat...but even then, many women don't have a genetic predisposition for ripped abs. I know a lot of really lean and fit women who lift like a boss...and while they are very lean and have good muscle mass and definition overall, they do not have ripped six pack abs.

A couple of my fitness lady friends are physique competitors...one has a six pack when she's competition ready and the other just has a really flat stomach...neither one of them maintain their look year around, only when they're needing to be stage ready...otherwise it's incredibly difficult and not particularly healthy for them at that low of BF% and dehydration for the show.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options

That's too vague. You need muscle tone there as well. Someone underweight from an eating disorder with a low body fat still won't show abs.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

My_Butt wrote: »

That's too vague. You need muscle tone there as well. Someone underweight from an eating disorder with a low body fat still won't show abs.

She's not underweight from an eating disorder. She posted a picture. There is fat covering the abdominal muscles which is why they aren't defined.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Cutting, e.g, cut down on carbs/sugar; increase protein and healthy fats. Those muscles will show through! :)