Unsure of My Fitness Pal's predictions/calculations.

Options
Hey, i have a question,

The MFP app gives me Goal = Food - Exercise = amount of calories i should be consuming.
This is so far quite clear.

Now for my question, where is it getting the exercise amount from, seeing as today is an off day and i didn't work out, is exercise in this case based on the steps i've taken which add to the amount of calories my body needed for today?

I hope this made some sense and thank all and any in advance for any answers...!

See ya
A

Replies

• xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you don't log exercise you don't get any extra calories, just your daily goal calories.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ANehmeh wrote: »
    Hey, i have a question,

The MFP app gives me Goal = Food - Exercise = amount of calories i should be consuming.
    This is so far quite clear.

Now for my question, where is it getting the exercise amount from, seeing as today is an off day and i didn't work out, is exercise in this case based on the steps i've taken which add to the amount of calories my body needed for today?

I hope this made some sense and thank all and any in advance for any answers...!

See ya
    A

I take it you have a FitBit (or other activity tracker) linked to your MFP account? If so, then yes.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    MFP determines your calories by using the NEAT theory - Non-exercise adaptive thermosis (I think) - basically, it takes into account daily movement, steps etc - but NOT purposeful exercise. It also factors in your calorie deficit for your goal (so if you want to lose 1lb a week, it gives you a 500 calorie deficit from your daily overall calorie needs).