Ugh, afternoon workouts.

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
For the past two years my little one went to preschool a few mornings a week which is when I got in my workouts.

Now she's starting kindergarten but it will be 1/2 day in the afternoons. Wasn't expecting that.

So I can't wrap my head around the new schedule and how it affects when I can workout. I love morning workouts because I have the energy and then I'm done and only need to shower and get ready once. If I have to wait til the afternoon I guess that means getting showered/ready twice a day when I have somewhere I need to be.

Any insight about this challenge? Maybe some of you get ready for work in the morning and then workout late in the day?

I guess I should add that I like to run 3 times during the week and get very sweaty!

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mom of two wee ones, so I know how crazy this suggestion will sound, but...

Can you get up before your daughter and run? Or can your husband/partner get her ready for school while you work out?

Or can you just wear your workout clothes in the morning while your watching her, and then just do the get ready part after you exercise in the afternoon?

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of afternoon workouts for the same reason (plus, I tend to have less energy in the afternoon), but my school schedule this year means that will be my only option. I think the hardest part will be the first two weeks; after that, it should be routine. (I hope!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you married or otherwise have a SO?

Fitness is pretty important for both my wife and I so we alternate our fitness with domestic/child responsibilities.

She runs in the AM on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. She lifts in the gym on Friday after work.

I ride in the AM on Wed/Fri...sometimes Saturday or sometimes I go to the climbing gym...I lift on Tues/Thurs evenings after work and Sunday morning. I also usually ride on Tues/Thurs while my wife is out running, but I do so on my indoor trainer so that I'm home and available for the kids.

My wife is on KP Tues/Thurs since I go to the gym right after work. I'm on KP most other nights while she focuses on getting the kids bathed, homework, etc...I cook pretty much 5 nights per week, though we often get a pizza or something for Friday night...

• jaga13
    Options
    I'm a Mom of two wee ones, so I know how crazy this suggestion will sound, but...

Can you get up before your daughter and run? Or can your husband/partner get her ready for school while you work out?

Or can you just wear your workout clothes in the morning while your watching her, and then just do the get ready part after you exercise in the afternoon?

I'll probably just wear my workout clothes most mornings and then run/shower in the afternoon. Unless we have to go somewhere in the morning (I'd like to occasionally look out together!)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've worked out right after work (or school) pretty much my entire life. You get used to it.
  • jaga13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Fitness is pretty important for both my wife and I so we alternate our fitness with domestic/child responsibilities.

She runs in the AM on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. She lifts in the gym on Friday after work.

I ride in the AM on Wed/Fri...sometimes Saturday or sometimes I go to the climbing gym...I lift on Tues/Thurs evenings after work and Sunday morning. I also usually ride on Tues/Thurs while my wife is out running, but I do so on my indoor trainer so that I'm home and available for the kids.

My wife is on KP Tues/Thurs since I go to the gym right after work. I'm on KP most other nights while she focuses on getting the kids bathed, homework, etc...I cook pretty much 5 nights per week, though we often get a pizza or something for Friday night...

That's a great partnership! Yes, I'm married. But since I'm a stay at home mom and will have a few hours in the afternoon, I feel I need to do it at that time.
    When I used to work outside the home, hubby and I alternated who got up with the kids so the other could workout.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Lol.
    I wake up at 5am. Run. Shower.
    Take kid to school/camp. Go to work.
    Lunch break, lift. Shower. Get dressed.
    Go home. Play grown up and mom. Shower.

And so on...
    Lol. That's a lot of showers! Go girl!
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    So my daughter is all grown up and she is also the person I now go to the gym with. I get up get ready go to work, change at the office then drive to meet her for crossfit three days a week and volley ball one day a week. I do not always have the energy when we start out but once I get moving I feel great. And yes I end up showering twice a day a lot.
    If your child/children are asleep and your honey is home when you work out in the morning, it should not inconvenience them. You can still take a walk or add some kind of activity for yourself when your child is in school.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Lol.
    I wake up at 5am. Run. Shower.
    Take kid to school/camp. Go to work.
    Lunch break, lift. Shower. Get dressed.
    Go home. Play grown up and mom. Shower.

And so on...
    Lol. That's a lot of showers! Go girl!

It sucks. But that's what I can get done with 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins during lunch.
    It will be an adjustment to work out in the afternoon, but it will be fine.
  • jaga13
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I've worked out right after work (or school) pretty much my entire life. You get used to it.

If you don't mind me asking, do you shower and do the whole makeup/hair routine both before work/school and then again after your workout?

Part of my issue is since I quit my job to be a stay at home 2 years ago I prided myself on showering and getting someone presentable every morning so I feel great about myself when we're out and about.

I guess I could still do that and then just take a fast shower after my pm workout and nix the makeup, etc. or pick and choose which days it makes sense to get fully ready (like if I'm not going anywhere in the morning, just wait til the pm). Sorry, I'm sort of working out my thoughts out loud lol.
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's a great partnership! Yes, I'm married. But since I'm a stay at home mom and will have a few hours in the afternoon, I feel I need to do it at that time.
    When I used to work outside the home, hubby and I alternated who got up with the kids so the other could workout.

I usually shower twice per day on Tuesday/Thurs...and often Saturday...once after my morning rides during the week and then again after I get out of the gym in the evenings. Saturday just kind of depends...if I go out early and ride then I just shower after...If I'm going to hit the climbing gym, I usually shower because I usually then run errands in the AM and then hit the gym and shower again after.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I usually take a shower in the AM before work and after my lifting on evenings I lift after work. My morning shower the next day is usually just a quickie to help wake me up and get me fresh, as I likely didn't really get too dirty after the evening shower.

And I've found that I sometimes have more energy in the late afternoon to lift, as I've eaten breakfast and lunch those days. It's also nice to not necessarily need to hurry my training, because I don't need to get to work on time.

PS: I'm a guy, so there's no makeup to be had and my hair is pretty easy.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

If you don't mind me asking, do you shower and do the whole makeup/hair routine both before work/school and then again after your workout?

Part of my issue is since I quit my job to be a stay at home 2 years ago I prided myself on showering and getting someone presentable every morning so I feel great about myself when we're out and about.

I guess I could still do that and then just take a fast shower after my pm workout and nix the makeup, etc. or pick and choose which days it makes sense to get fully ready (like if I'm not going anywhere in the morning, just wait til the pm). Sorry, I'm sort of working out my thoughts out loud lol.

I don't think he has a makeup routine
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2017
    Options

I don't think he has a makeup routine...I don't have either makeup or hair routine as I'm bald...but in your situation I'd likely do just what you said.

also, when my wife worked out in the afternoon is was typically later in the afternoon so afterwards she was generally home for the rest of the afternoon/evening so there was never or rarely a need to get fully ready after her afternoon/evening shower.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Haha! Didn't realize I was asking a guy about makeup. I mean, you never know
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'll get a lil bike or elliptical for like 100 dollars for the meanwhile until things are situated.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I only shower at night.

After running/cycling, I normally
    [1a] Turn on car (and A/C or heat)
    [1] throw on a loose running dress and remove my workout clothes.
    [2] change from running shoes to my regular shoes.
    [3] blot my face dry
    [4] retouch my makeup - blotting papers, quick re-powder, re-apply lipstick. I normally wear my hair up, and run with it like that, and leave it as is to dry afterward with no re-touching.
    [5] re-apply antiperspirant
    [6] Once sweat has dried (aided by car's A/C while refreshing makeup in rear-view mirror), put regular clothes back on
    * This normally only takes a few minutes. I do realize it's not the norm for most people.. I tend to get the "how on earth did you do that?!" looks when I step away from the car ready for a formal milonga minutes after the group run. - but this is how I fit it in between work and dancing.

The icky post-workout feeling generally goes away once the sweat has dried (with the possible exception of when it is mixed with large amounts of sunblock and insect repellant which feel icky in their own right).

Caveats: Not an option if you are someone who smells bad after working out (this is usually just 1 or 2 people on any group run I've ever been in - everyone else will be fine with a quick deodorant re-application if even that is needed); liquid makeup does not touch-up well unlike small areas of concealer and powder foundation; too much salt on the skin (where you have white flakes coming off) will start to sting a bit if you don't take a shower (for me this takes about 10 miles in August in Buffalo. YMMV. some people sweat more than others, some are in hotter climates than others.). Also- wet wipes exist if needed.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm generally an afternoon/early evening exerciser. I'll either shower in the morning and then again briefly in the evening after a run, or I'll just shower exclusively in the evening (then usually I put my hair up in a ponytail or braid the next day). I try not to shower more than once a day if I can help it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I'm a female who works from home. I feel absolutely no need to get "presentable" at home or for errands. That is one of the perks of working from home IMO.

I too prefer to workout in the AM, but it no longer works with my current sleep schedule, so I do it at lunch time and/or in the evening. During gardening/tick season I often take multiple showers per day, but still only wash my hair every few days. I reserve full makeup for special occasions.