Pills and Supplements

Options
I'm not taking any, but I was thinking about researching some to see if they'd be any good. What are your opinions on them? Do any of you know any good ones?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, calcium and vitamin D due to a bone density problem.

Don't need anything else.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Good for what?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My opinion is don't bother unless you've got an actual deficiency. I take vitamin D because I live pretty far north and am basically a vampire (ETA: and have been diagnosed severely deficient a couple of times), and folic acid because I maybe want to get pregnant in the next year and my doctor said folic acid is the place to be. But for weight loss? Meh. Even the ones that aren't sawdust and garlic powder aren't really proven to do anything. Save your money.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Supplements are only needed if you've been diagnosed with a deficiency.

The only other one worth taking is folic acid if there's a chance you could become pregnant and would continue with the pregnancy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? No.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    She's looking for weight loss supplements and pills.
  • WMLCS
    WMLCS Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    NO, NO, NO, take it from someone who has tried every "diet" pill out there. THEY DO NOT WORK and are a HUGE waste of money. I've bought every dr. oz "recommended" pill, tried Prescription diet pills, etc. YOU name it I've tried and it all comes down to eating right and exercising. "If" you lose weight especially w/ the prescription ones, the minute you stop you will double the weight back.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I take the Ritual vitamin because I have an autoimmune condition that causes me to be deficient in those specific things. And I drink green tea for a non coffee boost. That's it. Only take what you need to be healthy :)
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Weight loss pills don't work . It's all about them making money off lying. However weight loss plans can help you . Eat clean . Watch your nutrition. Exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    ANY DIET will always defer to "in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise plan". Guess what? It's the diet and exercise plan that matters, not the pills and supplements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    hale03071 wrote: »
    My doctor said everyone should take a multi-vitamin daily. Our food supply and soil is so depleted of nutrients, even if you eat whole foods, nothing packaged, you still could be lacking certain vitamins and minerals. I personally recommend Rainbow Lights womens multi vitamin.

If our soil was so depleted of nutrients, farmers wouldn't be able to grow a thing. One only has to look at farmers in certain areas of Africa where they are in fact struggling to grow crops in part because of poor soil to know this is completely bunk.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There exists no quality research at all that shows an average person benefits at all from taking a multivitamin, and it has been researched a lot! If you have a specific deficiency it's better to supplement that deficiency than to just take a multivitamin. Most American's do not get enough omega 3 fatty acids in their diet as they do not consume much fatty fat. Fish oil supplementation is valuable in this scenario. Vitamin D is another thing many folks don't get enough of and research varies on what "enough" is. It's fairly difficult to overdose on vitamin D so it's another one that there is some documented efficacy in taking. Aside from that most everything is just a marketing scam or designed for people who have a specific deficiency.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    You only really need a supplement if you have a deficiency due to medical problems. Like I have to take iron, B12 and folic acid to stave off anemia (all of them are required to produce blood).