Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    People give way too much credit to cashier training :lol:

Be polite, call a manager, don't chase after thieves. That's all I was ever told.

Maybe if you'd completed your training....

ce68d0d4c51dfb174ab3c03daf6ffb72--multiple-sclerosis-star-wars-characters.jpg

I completed the "don't molest people" training! Doesn't that count

You know I just completed that same training at work. Apparently I'm not supposed to crawl under someone's desk while they're sitting at it. Whoops.....

That just means you are working with the wrong people.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

Be polite, call a manager, don't chase after thieves. That's all I was ever told.

you work for MWR? They call it sharps training though it's sad that they have to make people take it like twice a year.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

You know I just completed that same training at work. Apparently I'm not supposed to crawl under someone's desk while they're sitting at it. Whoops.....

That just means you are working with the wrong people.

Can't disagree with you there.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

I regarded that training as suggestions rather than hard-fast rules....
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

so you wont help someone who has a monkey on their back?

Unless actual violence is involved, retail workers can hold their own. I used to work retail. I've been called everything under the sun. Someone else interfering that isn't a store manager is only going to escalate things. My policy is leave folk to do their job. It's not my place to stick my nose in other folks' business.
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Realistically, I'd probably walk between them and say "Excuse me, I need to checkout. Could you go to customer service so you stop holding up the line?" I probably wouldn't draw it further than that with speaking the nut jobs (don't want to get stabbed or shot), and instead ask the cashier if "she can get someone else to checkout me and the (presumable) other people behind me." This might seem cold, but would at least give an excuse for the cashier to get away from the crazies or at least have a colleague or manager come out to make sure she is okay.

I've worked retail jobs, and although I was fortunate to never encounter such a situation. I definitely believe this situation happened though, as I've seen some true crazies in this country lol No-one deserves to be abused and humiliated, so even if you feel uncomfortable approaching the crazy *kitten*, it's always good to at least acknowledge afterward to the worker what weirdos they were and perhaps compliment them for "holding it together" etc. :angry:
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I'd be afraid of physical aggression if I intervened. So no. I'm not afraid to call people out when they're being rude, but picking your battles is also key.

It's sad that you need thick skins these days in retail. I've actually walked away from rude customers before, and once told one that "I don't get paid enough to deal with people like you." Legit thought I'd get fired for that one. Somehow, I did not. Loved yet hated that job.

..then again, I think everyone should work retail once in their life. Some of the people skills you gain are irreplaceable.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I would react. I have never actually witnessed an irate/crazy customer cashier interaction.
    Since the couple moved on to customer service it sounds like it was dealt with by store staff and they didn't really need someone else getting involved and making it a bigger scene. I might have given an encouraging comment to the cashier after they left.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    i don't get involved in stuff where i'd just be one more loud voice trying to complete, so no. i can't loud anyway, so there'd be no point. i probably would say something to the cashier afterwards though.

i've stepped into a couple of fights, when it looked like someone was going to get seriously hurt if not killed. probably nine times as silly looking. i've never in my life felt so lame or so middle-class. the second time was extra cringey because i was holding my bike and all i could do was steer in between them and come up with this beaker-voiced squeak. but the point is, i guess: it's easier for me to mobilize my body than my voice when the adrenaline's up.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I would have minded my own business. I already have enough voices screaming in my head.
    If it continued for long, I would have started rocking back and forth chanting No Vacancy...No Vacancy......No Vacancy....before breaking into a random verse of RAWHIDE

Keep movin', movin', movin'
    Though they're disapprovin'
    Keep them dogies movin'
    Rawhide!
    Don't try to understand 'em
    Just rope, and throw, and brand 'em
    Soon we'll be living high and wide.

And of course making the whip arm movements and whip noises
    wuh-Psssh
    or
    kuh-chhhh

I'm not sure which whip I would have picked since everyone knows different whips make different noises...

Wait...what were we talking about again???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    As much as I would have liked to help the cashier, it's better to just let the store managers deal with them. Many times people act like this because it's easier to shut them up by giving into them. But nowadays people just record it and post it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    If it's just name calling and insults then leave it. The employee should have training and have things they can go like call a manager.

Some random joining in is just going to escalate things.
  • Eat2Brute
    Eat2Brute Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This thread made me realize that I don't want to be the kind of person that sits back and laughs at the situation. I hope that if I ever witness something similar that I will step up and say something. Those irate customers should have been held accountable to societal standards by everyone around them. There are times when "you do you" is unacceptable. They probably walked off feeling victorious and justified since nobody told them what *kitten*s they were being.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I'd be afraid of physical aggression if I intervened. So no. I'm not afraid to call people out when they're being rude, but picking your battles is also key.

It's sad that you need thick skins these days in retail. I've actually walked away from rude customers before, and once told one that "I don't get paid enough to deal with people like you." Legit thought I'd get fired for that one. Somehow, I did not. Loved yet hated that job.

..then again, I think everyone should work retail once in their life. Some of the people skills you gain are irreplaceable.

I am a cranky old man and I most like would have called them out on it. At the same time I agree of the likely-hood of physical aggression. As I one has already stated using the "can you have someone help me" or an offer of finding a manager to help the customer is a good technique.

Oh and "Go Packer".

• noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    LOL I can just imagine my fiancé there in line. He would have shut them down ASAP rescuing the girl.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I actually hate it when a man steps in to white knight for me...cause I can handle my own. But if it looks like someone is struggling and needs help, I will help.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    LOL I can just imagine my fiancé there in line. He would have shut them down ASAP rescuing the girl.

is he a store manager?

Nope, in the army and he does not like to see people get treated badly or suffer at all. He is one who would interject for real if someone was hitting another person on the street or mistreating a women or whatever. And if this cashier was close to tears, it's just not right.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would hope the cashier would call/intercom a manager to the scene.

I wouldn't intervene because I would not want to escalate the situation but if someone tried to instigate then I would defend myself. Police always tell people not to get involved for good reason unless it's an unavoidable last resort.

Every time I go out in public I seriously hope not to run into someone angry or crazy. I feel for anyone who has a bad day because of a loud and vulgar customer.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I actually hate it when a man steps in to white knight for me...cause I can handle my own. But if it looks like someone is struggling and needs help, I will help.

Yep. I would have stepped between them. Then I would have asked for a manager to step in. It's not an issue of a man coming to the rescue of a damsel in distress.