Carbs at night instead of the morning?

Options
I like to eat yogurt and eggs for breakfast and pastas/breads with dinner. I'm trying out intermittent fasting right now, and I feel like I can stay in 'fat burning mode' longer by avoiding carbs in the morning. On the other hand, everyone says carbs at night get stored as fat because you're not active in the evenings. Yet other people say timing/fasting doesn't even make a difference and it's all about getting your daily macros whenever and however you want. I'm leaning more towards the 'it doesn't really make a difference' camp, but I'm open to experimenting. It just seems easier for me to do it this way, unless I'm weight training that day then I'll eat a high carb meal early in the day for energy.

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    ^^^ yep

stick with the meal / macro timing doesn't matter. a deficit matters for weight loss, macros and micros for health and nutrition. time of day matters for basically none of it.
  • dill_milk
    dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Excess calories get stored as fat...you can't have net fat storage if you are in a calorie deficit...
    So all this intermittent fasting and meal timing stuff is 'fad' bullsh*t amirite? The only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out. God, I hate this fitness industry with all its phoney crap.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dill_milk wrote: »
    Excess calories get stored as fat...you can't have net fat storage if you are in a calorie deficit...
    So all this intermittent fasting and meal timing stuff is 'fad' bullsh*t amirite? The only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out. God, I hate this fitness industry with all its phoney crap.

Some things may make small differences, but it's typically majoring in the minors. Some of these things can be more beneficial when already lean and trying to get leaner, mostly due to hormones. But the biggest and most important factor to losing weight is taking in fewer calories than you expend. If I need to eat 2800 calories per day to maintain then I'm going to lose about a pound per week as an average trend over time eating 2300 calories regardless.

Personally, when I'm cutting weight I don't eat grains or starches at night most nights...I often cut them out of most lunches as well...this is only because I don't log and it's just an easy way for me to control calories. A lot of things that come out of the fitness industry are simply ways of controlling calories outside of actually keeping a log...you have to remember that calorie counters are in a substantial minority...
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I've been doing various IF protocols for around 5 years now and yep, it really does come down to calories in vs. calories out. There's nothing magical about IF-it's just a method that some find useful to help them with their calorie adherence. I like IF because it fits with my lifestyle and eating preferences, and it makes it easier to stick to my calorie targets, but it doesn't do anything besides that.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I like IF because I like to eat more of my calories at night- so it helps me with that- and that way I can stay in a deficit better-
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

In terms of it making a difference if you eat the same foods/calories, yes, it's BS.

In terms of it helping many people control calories, no, it can be very helpful.

Does eating between 2 pm and 8 pm only mean that you are less likely to overeat? Feel less hungry overall? Then great. Same if it works for you to eat between 7 am and 4 pm only. Same if it works for you to eat only one meal, or two, or (like me) three, and not to snack (what I do is not IF, but I think it works on the same principle, reducing the times at which you think about eating).

As for carbs in the morning vs. evening vs. both, that's different from IF, but experiment -- do you feel less hungry if you eat fewer carbs in the morning? Then great! If not, then eat carbs.

The stuff about not eating before bed is all BS, though, unless it messes with sleep.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I like to eat yogurt and eggs for breakfast and pastas/breads with dinner. I'm trying out intermittent fasting right now, and I feel like I can stay in 'fat burning mode' longer by avoiding carbs in the morning. On the other hand, everyone says carbs at night get stored as fat because you're not active in the evenings. Yet other people say timing/fasting doesn't even make a difference and it's all about getting your daily macros whenever and however you want. I'm leaning more towards the 'it doesn't really make a difference' camp, but I'm open to experimenting. It just seems easier for me to do it this way, unless I'm weight training that day then I'll eat a high carb meal early in the day for energy.

Ref the bold - no "everyone" doesn't say such a dumb thing at all. Carbs are rarely stored as fat whatever time of day they are consumed.
    And not everyone is inactive in the evening either.....

Nutrient timing is an irrelevance for the vast majority of people apart from helping personal adherence to an overall calorie goal as is eating carbs before a low calorie exercise such as weight training. You have plenty of energy on-board already.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Calories trump everything else. Protein doesn't keep you in fat burning & carbs late at night don't get stored as fat, if your calories are in check. So in those regards, it all doesn't matter.
    BUT for practicality sake, those little things & meal timing can help you to maintain control over your calories without feeling that it's a big struggle. If you like to start off with yogurt & eggs and it keeps you full and not hungry, stick with it. Do not fear having your carbs late in the day. Many people (myself included) practice IF because it keeps my eating under control. Calories matter when it comes to gaining/losing, but all those little things may play a huge role in one's ability to control those calories, and you can only figure that out by trying things & not being tied to a particular dieting dogma
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, everyone says carbs at night get stored as fat because you're not active in the evenings.

I'll have to find the article - but I found one that essentially indicated carbs at night can help with the preservation of lean muscle mass and help you to sleep better - I have a bowl of cereal every night right before bed and down 10-12lbs (since I'm in maintenance and that is my range)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

For some people, IF helps them control their calories for the day (those that prefer 1 or 2 larger meals vs 5-6 smaller meals), but it is not needed for weight loss.

The only thing that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit - the rest of it is just personal preferences.

What's all this stuff about 'insulin sensitivity' and hormones and stuff? Supposedly it affects whether your body is drawing energy from muscle or fat. I believe now it's all make believe but I can't believe there is so much crap out there like this, I really need to stay away from fitness blogs and 'studies' because I'm getting so disheartened with this industry. That's what it is, a freaking industry. Gosh no wonder so many people quit exercising and dieting.

I believe there are a few studies that would suggest periods of fasting does improve insulin sensitivity... but so do exercise, weight loss and other things. The thing is, not everyone has to worry about that and in reality, only those who are insulin resistant may have to worry; women with PCOS, diabetics, those with IR, and potentially morbidly obese people (obese increases resistance. So in those cases, reducing carbs may be more beneficial. But overall, the vast majority of people do not have to worry about those minute details.

Personally, I eat a lot of carbs because I am satiated by them, they improve recovery from exercise, and support muscle sustainment and/or growth. And in terms of priorities for me, it's calories, protein, fiber, the rest.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

For some people, IF helps them control their calories for the day (those that prefer 1 or 2 larger meals vs 5-6 smaller meals), but it is not needed for weight loss.

The only thing that matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit - the rest of it is just personal preferences.

What's all this stuff about 'insulin sensitivity' and hormones and stuff? Supposedly it affects whether your body is drawing energy from muscle or fat. I believe now it's all make believe but I can't believe there is so much crap out there like this, I really need to stay away from fitness blogs and 'studies' because I'm getting so disheartened with this industry. That's what it is, a freaking industry. Gosh no wonder so many people quit exercising and dieting.

I believe there are a few studies that would suggest periods of fasting does improve insulin sensitivity... but so do exercise, weight loss and other things. The thing is, not everyone has to worry about that and in reality, only those who are insulin resistant may have to worry; women with PCOS, diabetics, those with IR, and potentially morbidly obese people (obese increases resistance. So in those cases, reducing carbs may be more beneficial. But overall, the vast majority of people do not have to worry about those minute details.

Personally, I eat a lot of carbs because I am satiated by them, they improve recovery from exercise, and support muscle sustainment and/or growth. And in terms of priorities for me, it's calories, protein, fiber, the rest.

I think you pegged it on IR and its overall impact on the popular. I *personally* believe that are there are questionable individuals who provide keto nutritional guidance who use IR as a scare tactic to get more to use it - it comes up on pretty much every triathlon forum I'm on when people talk about not being able to lose weight (along with the shakeology, isagenix, advocare posts)