Garmin users - calorie steps

Options
Question for you all!! I have my activity set to sedentary because unless I work, I sit pretty much all day. When I do work (4 to 4.5 hours a day up to 5 days a week) I'm either standing the whole time or walking around. DO YOU count/eat your walking calories earned? I am curious as to how many of you (striving for weightloss) either eat them or Don't. I am striving to eat my workout calories but not sure if eating my walking calories would be a good idea too.

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't hook my Garmin up to MFP. If I did I would often be given 4000+ kcal a day to eat and frankly that is ridiculous for my activity level and weight loss goal per week. Apply common sense I suppose.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Mine (Fenix 5X) seems pretty reasonable for walking calories, so I generally trust it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I am set to active, and I do get a few exercise calories for the first 10,000 steps, but I don't count them because of my MFP setting. Then, I go on 30 per 1000 steps, which is usually less than Garmin gives me. I found a formula online that helped calculate calories burned from steps (non-intentional exercise). My exercise burns really seem to be spot on, though.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do because I know I'm lowballed on steps from my device/Garmin (Vivoactive) and exercise is spot on. Always have. Every. Last. Calorie.
  • jennifer_runs
    jennifer_runs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 235. It counts daily steps and I also use it to log my exercises, which get automatically sent here. However-- one error is that it sends total calories and not net, so it's over by about 50 calories per hour (keep that in mind if you have it synching automatically).
    MFP will also make a "Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment" if you want it to-- this will adjust your overall calories up or down (you can disable negative adjustments if you want) based on your daily activity (that is your steps, not your exercise). I have it doing that too.
    I have my activity level set as "sedentary" as well, but the Garmin adjustment will take care of that.
  • BootyEvolve
    BootyEvolve Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin Vivo fit HR and for 8,000 steps it says I get around 1,100 calories. That too me seems like a huge amount. I even went through and put how many steps I take in x amount of steps. My job is physical (lifting often) but still lol.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin Vivo fit HR and for 8,000 steps it says I get around 1,100 calories. That too me seems like a huge amount. I even went through and put how many steps I take in x amount of steps. My job is physical (lifting often) but still lol.

Are you saying you get 1100 calories in MFP? Because that doesn't mean that the walking gave you 1100, but that your total calories are being adjusted so that Garmin and MFP match. If you are doing a physical job those calories are counted by garmin even if you aren't getting steps. That is where activity level comes into play. The closer you have MFP set to what garmin is calculating, the smaller that number for 8000 steps would be.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been getting extremely high numbers from my Garmin Vivoactive HR+ for a pretty paltry amount of steps. I'm going to try updating my activity setting and seeing if that makes a difference.
  • jennifer_runs
    Options

What? That doesn't sound right.

So far today I have about 2500 steps and my adjustment is 25 calories.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

What? That doesn't sound right.

So far today I have about 2500 steps and my adjustment is 25 calories.

It's because they have the a HR garmin and that accounts for their full day of calories, including a "physical (lifting often)" job.
  • BootyEvolve
    Options
    Yeah my full day is 2507 calories. If I ate all of that I would gain weight. I'm small (5'0 to 5'1).
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My experience:
    I used a fitbit one for maby years (basic model only counts steps) and had my weight loss pretty closely mirror what was projected taking a deficit out of the daily calorie burns it estimated for me. I felt it was a pretty accurate device.

I recently decided to update my garmin since they are combining activity trackers into their running watches now. I tried the vivosmart hr+ first and found it gave me super crazy calorie burns when using the 24/7 hr monitoring. When I turned that off it was pretty similar to what my fitbit would have estimated.
    After that I did some deeper digging and found that the hr activity trackers seems to be way over estimating calories across the board. I am pretty comfortable with the estimates based solely on steps though.

TLDR: if it is estimating off steps alone I would be ok eating them if you want. If your device is 24/7 hr monitoring be very wary of inflated calorie estimates.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 235. It counts daily steps and I also use it to log my exercises, which get automatically sent here. However-- one error is that it sends total calories and not net, so it's over by about 50 calories per hour (keep that in mind if you have it synching automatically).
    MFP will also make a "Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment" if you want it to-- this will adjust your overall calories up or down (you can disable negative adjustments if you want) based on your daily activity (that is your steps, not your exercise). I have it doing that too.
    I have my activity level set as "sedentary" as well, but the Garmin adjustment will take care of that.

Does this mean that the people eating back 100% of their exercise calories are overeating because they are not deducting the net from total calories @jennifer_runs ?
  • jennifer_runs
    Options

Does this mean that the people eating back 100% of their exercise calories are overeating because they are not deducting the net from total calories @jennifer_runs ?

Yes, I think so. The "Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment" might fix this, but I'm not sure. It seems like it might over-correct for other things so the net is still too high of a calorie allowance.
  • BootyEvolve
    Options
    My experience:
    I used a fitbit one for maby years (basic model only counts steps) and had my weight loss pretty closely mirror what was projected taking a deficit out of the daily calorie burns it estimated for me. I felt it was a pretty accurate device.

I recently decided to update my garmin since they are combining activity trackers into their running watches now. I tried the vivosmart hr+ first and found it gave me super crazy calorie burns when using the 24/7 hr monitoring. When I turned that off it was pretty similar to what my fitbit would have estimated.
    After that I did some deeper digging and found that the hr activity trackers seems to be way over estimating calories across the board. I am pretty comfortable with the estimates based solely on steps though.

TLDR: if it is estimating off steps alone I would be ok eating them if you want. If your device is 24/7 hr monitoring be very wary of inflated calorie estimates.

Yeah mine is on 24/7 and I am not sure how to make it stop tacking on the steps calories. I think my BMR is pretty accurate (1694) but then it says with my 10,000 steps i must eat 1500 calories, yeah no. I am not eating 3000 calories a day I'd gain weight. When I exercise (did the stationary bike today for 30 minutes) and it said I burned 169 calories which seems accurate. I am fine with eating 1200 calories + half of my workout calories but I am not eating my steps calories too. That just seems ridiculous and I'd pretty much have to stuff my self full.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My experience:

Yeah mine is on 24/7 and I am not sure how to make it stop tacking on the steps calories. I think my BMR is pretty accurate (1694) but then it says with my 10,000 steps i must eat 1500 calories, yeah no. I am not eating 3000 calories a day I'd gain weight. When I exercise (did the stationary bike today for 30 minutes) and it said I burned 169 calories which seems accurate. I am fine with eating 1200 calories + half of my workout calories but I am not eating my steps calories too. That just seems ridiculous and I'd pretty much have to stuff my self full.

One option would be to only wear it when you are doing intentional exercise. Then you wont get regular steps transferred over.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I sync my exercise calories, but I have steps turned off on MFP because it was giving me way too many calories for them.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    My experience:

There should be a setting to turn activity tracking off if you want no more step calories.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My experience:

That is a crazy number. I'm going to guess your heart rate is up from the heavy lifting and that's where the error is coming in. I have had three Garmin non-HR devices and they all underestimate for me. I get less than 400 exercise calories for 10000 steps. Look up your instruction manual and see if you can turn off the HR feature. It should save you some battery life too. Back before Garmin had built in HR it was pretty common for people to anecdotally report underestimations for step tracking.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and 2 Garmin devices. All 3 have HR (I have a second Fitbit that doesn't have HR). I'm sitting at about 16k steps right now. One Garmin device thinks I've burned 3000+ calories for the day, the other thinks I've burned 2650. Both Fitbits are coming in at 2300. Mfp thinks I would burn 1730-so my adjustment would be those numbers minus 1730. After many years of tracking, weighing food, monitoring weight change-my Fitbit is accurate for me and I feel confident in eating the calorie adjustment it gives me (and my weight change follows as expected). Both Garmins are high, but one is ridiculously so. I had a bodymedia armband quite some time ago and it overstated my burn by about 15%. I raised my activity level on mfp to account for that (so the adjustment ended up being correct). It's all trial and error. Give it a shot-track your food (weigh it; log it all) and see if your change in weight follows as expected. If not-then make some adjustments and try again.