13»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »

So yep, still reckless, no matter how you weakly try to rationalize.

So yep, still zero courage, no matter how you weakly try to rationalize.

What's your best 50Km time?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If running is hurting you. Walk. The best exercise is the one you do and that doesn't hurt you.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    All this talk of working through pain is reminding me of a tifu post on reddit yesterday, dude worked through pain doing sit-ups and ended up deaf in one ear...
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Youtube David Goggins, some people can work through pain and achieve greatness. You just got to be smart about the "PAIN", know your body! For me after I broke my body a few times I learned what is just my mind trying to be lazy making excuses and real pain that could lead to a inevitable injury.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Running is much better. Don't be afraid of hurting your knees or hips.... If you have problems like this it is probably because you didn't use them enough at the first place.... using them will reinforce them.

Do you even run?

While there is an element of truth to your statements (ie studies have shown that running can in fact help protect knees) to suggest that a new walker/runner exercise through the pain is simply irresponsible.

OP I'd suggest sticking with walking for now (ignore fat burn data - it's total calories that you're interested in rather than the fuel source, FWIW you burn primarily fat while sleeping). Before starting running consider starting hip & glute strengthening exercises to address possible weaknesses / imbalances.

Here are a couple of links that I hope you find helpful (the 2nd routine can be done a couple of times per week in a fairly short time and really help in injury resistance.

https://runnersconnect.net/hips-hamstrings-and-glues-are-the-key-to-running-faster/

https://runnersconnect.net/hip-strengthening-for-runners/

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It's been said enough, but bears repeating.

If it hurts... Slow down or stop... If it keeps hurting see a doctor.

The running(hip stretches above) are great.