Intermittent fasting. Who's done/doing this?

I don't eat until around 1/2pm. Not planned, it's just the way my day falls so I'm kind of doing intermittent fasting accidentally. I've done a bit of reading on it and seen some good articles. Just wondered if anyone has done or doing this and seen good results? X

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'm doing it and it's working wonders for my fear of getting hungry. To have my meals whenever I'm hungry, and whenever the meal is ready, but still resonably spread out throughout the day, is so flexible, and because my appetite is triggered by eating, three meals works better than 4-7.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    I fast 2 days per week from when I wake up (5-6 am) until 3pm. This helps me set the bulk of my deficit and make the remaining days of my week enjoyable with some added flexibility for the weekends...
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    I fast 20-4 during the work week. Weekends are a whole different story - eat all meals at home and also when we go out - always go over my limit. Need to adjust that part.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I do it unintentionally most days too. Don't buy into the stuff about it doing metabolism magic, but it definitely helps me hit a good deficit daily.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I too seem to have been doing this for most of my adult life without ever knowing this way of eating had a title. I eat when I get hungry, which 90% of the time is not until after 2:00 p.m. On most days my window of eating is 2:00 - 10:00 p.m.

But I ate that way when I was gaining weight too so I don't really credit it for helping with weight loss.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I do it most days- I do a 12:12 window or 14:10 window- so I might eat around 2;00 pm and stop no later than 10:00 - most nights I stop earlier- but I love having the leeway- also- I stay in a deficit- because that is what is most important- LOVE having a big meal at dinner and evening snacks without going over
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2017
    Today I did 18:6. I would like to do a 20:4 tomorrow. I am doing it to help with my type 2 diabetes and my weight is slowly going down. I think my body shape is changing faster than the scale as I notice my waist is getting big on my shorts!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    We have a lot of intermittent fasters on here. We also have a group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

I do 20/4 most days and love it. Last time I lost weight I dropped 100 lbs with intermittent fasting. It is a very good way to make the most out of a limited amount of calories while still feeling satisfied. I too was drawn to the idea because I have never been a breakfast person and always preferred to eat later in the day. Adding calorie tracking and pinning down a window was my game changer for loss.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    There's nothing magic about it. It just simply gives most people less time to eat during the day so you're more than likely going to end up at a deficit at the end. I'm generally not hungry when I wake up so quite a few days of the week I will go 14-16 hours from my last meal to my first one. Eat 3 medium portioned meals during my day and then do it all over again the next day.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    I did for a while but it left me too foggy/confused to function in the AM at work haha. It did work for shedding some lbs though!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    I've just started and am doing a 16/8. I was never a huge breakfast person so am finding it easy so far.
  • Jordan1906
    Jordan1906 Posts: 29 Member
    I only really eat between the hours of 1-7 anyway. Don't do it on purpose. I just don't get hungry till lunch time and then I'll have my dinner at 7ish pm and I'm done . Doesn't speed up any weight loss but Iv never been over weight. so maybe it does help..
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you! Whenever I wake up (where it's 7am or noon) I usually just sip on two coffees, then eventually make myself some brunch. Yes, brunch every day! Getting into that routine, whether intentional or not, has helped me stay away from overeating! If I'm only eating in a 6 or 8 hour window of time every day, unless I'm gorging myself of crappy food, when would there be time to overeat? I find it incredibly useful for the timing of my day, and for how my body feels as a result. :)
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    I'm on day 32 and it's going well