Making Bland Food More Flavorful

Options

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    There is so much more to life than onions and garlic! Also, have you tried salt substitutes like NuSalt?
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    There is so much more to life than onions and garlic! Also, have you tried salt substitutes like NuSalt?

i tried a no salt seasoning from The Spice House, while it adds crunch, there is no flavor. i will have to look for your suggestion.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, lime juice, ginger, garlic, caramelized onion, herbs, cayenne pepper, vinegars, oils, coconut milk, roasted peppers, browned meats, low sodium broths.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Just spend some time online looking at what herbs and spices work well with the foods you are cooking and have some fun experimenting in the kitchen. It is amazing how much difference this can make to a meal.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Pico de gallo! I make it at home so here's my recipe:
    6 jalapenos (increase or decrease depending on how spicy you like stuff, also removing the seeds will calm the intensity)
    4 Roma tomatoes
    1/2 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 lime juiced
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    A dash of salt (just a 1/4 teaspoon or less)

Chop everything up as tiny as possible, mix together and refrigerate. That's it. Because of the lime juice and jalepenos, it lasts for a good two weeks. A tablespoon has very few calories and low sodium, but a lot of flavor!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    For crab or most seafood restaurants use old bay. Not sure what's in it.

I'm not sure if you are using powered onion and garlic but if you use fresh or even roasted as mentioned above, it is way more flavorful.

If you go to Target, there's an Archer Farms brand seasoning called "French Bistro", it's really amazing on fish.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I have a rosemary bush outside my kitchen window that is my favorite seasoning herb. Various vinegars and oils, mushrooms and onions, Italian seasoning with random green stuff. Generally doesn't hurt to go online and read a few different versions of recipes, abd pick and choose the ingredient's you want to play with.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of herbs, spices, etc. but for a quick jolt of flavor we love the Mrs. Dash Herb & Garlic spice mix. We also have a mess of Penzey's salt-free herb/spice mixes.

You don't need to eat "bland" food to be low sodium. There's no reason to cut out chili peppers, for example. Lemon juice and zest, lime juice and zest, grated fresh ginger, ... there are a gazillion no-sodium options.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're probably just not used to actually tasting food...if you were eating a lot of high sodium before, you're used to everything tasty salty.

Also, don't go too low sodium...it's an essential electrolyte and I think way too many people get wrapped up in trying to eliminate something that is a required nutrient. Find the middle ground...

Well, unless people really overdo it, salt shouldn't make food taste salty. At low levels it enhances the flavor of other food.

You do bring up a great point - everyone needs sodium to live. So I'd say to use some salt, just control how much.

And, make sure you don't go low sodium for no reason. If your blood pressure is normal, there is really zero benefit to being low sodium, and possibly extreme harm if you became hyponatremic. On the other hand, if you have high blood pressure and your doctor has given you guidelines on how much sodium to have, follow that and track your sodium intake. You should still be using some salt, just less.

Also keep in mind 1 gram of salt is 0.4g of sodium. I've seen a lot of people mix that up.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that while it is true that going away from highly processed foods will tend to make you notice salt more, so you crave slightly less salty foods...that's just salt (and sugar, usually). But there aren't really any other flavors you are going to run into that you will suddenly crave less once you eat more homemade foods.

The homemade foods will STILL taste bland as all get out until you start adding some zing. (this said after I had a diet of less than ten foods for months, due to doctor recommendations - tried some of the 'amazing' foods that my healthy friends loved, and they were STILL horribly bland).

So, this is what I've found.

First - you will typically need to add a lot more of the 'flavoring' ingredients to really get a good flavor. Much more than you'd think you would need, typically. More onions, more garlic, more herbs, and so on. And more than a lot of recipes ask for - bland tasting recipes seriously seem to be REALLY common, sigh.

Second - if you have not yet, go check out Indian grocery stores. You can get HUGE amounts of spices there for good prices. Because in Indian cooking, you actually make very flavorful food with a lot of spices, so the recipes use a lot more of them. I would actually recommend checking out some Indian recipes, if you are interested, even if you don't like indian food - they tend to have good advice for how to bring out the most from your spices.

And on that note, Asian recipes tend to have good advice for how to cook veggies and retain more of the flavor, so they are good for that type of information.

Third - herb gardens are a life saver. Fresh herbs are great, but you have to use such large amounts to get a good flavor (if you aren't using flavored seasoning packets any more), that the price starts rising pretty quickly. herb garden helps with that a lot.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Fresh fennel and dried fennel seeds are fantastic with fish, also agree totally with lemon/ citrus.
    In our house we use smoked paprika, ground cumin, and chilli regularly, along with Moroccan rubs with harissa for grilled meats and fish and fresh ginger in a variety of soups
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of salt free Farmer's Dust. A small amount of oil or butter can also help liven things up.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    hi great suggestions! tonight i made turkey chilli and i literally dumped in a couple handfuls of spices and used tomato paste, tomato sauce too. i had a sample - it was flavorful! so i took you all's suggestions :) i also am going to put a slice of jalapeno pepper jack cheese to melt on top. oh yeah it will be totally on my diet :)
  • CriQue312
    CriQue312 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    McCormick Gourmet Spice Blends are amazing! There's a huge selection. You just have to shop around to find them.
    Here's a link to the page on their company website to find out more.

https://mccormick.com/gourmet/spices-and-flavors#blends

Also there is a low sodium version of Old Bay out there for seafood lovers!
    You should be able to find a link on the bottom of the McCormick page to Old Bay, might help you find that version (?)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    So I am eating low sodium, watching my sugars, and calories. Now, I cook vegetables, chicken veg soup, etc. and trying to infuse better flavor (like the way restaurants taste however, they prolly add in more salt and sugars). So, I made some crab soup made with low sodium canned tomatos, and it came out kinda bland. I used onions, garlic, for flavor, but it still tasted bland.

So what do you do to add more flavors into your food without using sugars and salt. I have some no-salt Mrs Dash but it does not really add flavor.

Add curry and chilli.

• slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of franks red hot. I put that *kitten* on everything. I know it has a lot of sodium, but I drink a lot of water to counter balance it and am not too worried about sodium myself. It saves me a lot of calories I would otherwise consume with other sauces.
  • CriQue312
    Options
    CriQue312 wrote: »
    McCormick Gourmet Spice Blends are amazing! There's a huge selection. You just have to shop around to find them.
    Here's a link to the page on their company website to find out more.

https://mccormick.com/gourmet/spices-and-flavors#blends

Also there is a low sodium version of Old Bay out there for seafood lovers!
    You should be able to find a link on the bottom of the McCormick page to Old Bay, might help you find that version (?)

Most don't have any sodium, a few do. They list that information under each flavors page link.
  • CriQue312
    Options
    I have a lot of franks red hot. I put that *kitten* on everything. I know it has a lot of sodium, but I drink a lot of water to counter balance it and am not too worried about sodium myself. It saves me a lot of calories I would otherwise consume with other sauces.

Health concerns anyone's doctor addresses are going to trump this, but if you do low carb or keto diets you need to be sure you replenish electrolytes. One of those is sodium!

I think magnesium might be another to reduce the chances of muscle cramps, but look this stuff up if it applies to your diet.

• CriQue312
    Options
    And I too am a Franks Addict... yummy on lotsa stuff like eggs, chicken, mixed w Salmon pouches, try it w Weber's Kickin Chicken spice blend if you're not sodium sensitive.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    First, there's no need to go to extremes with low sodium unless a doctor has instructed you to. To maximize the effect of a small amount, add salt when serving, not when cooking, so that it is not absorbed in the cooking process.

Make sure foods like soups and stews have a sour component. When people say food is bland, they often mean that it lacks the depth given by sourness. Lemon and lime juice, various kinds of vinegars, buttermilk, all of these add sourness.

Get to know your herbs and spices. Someone above suggested Indian grocery stores and this is great advice - their spices are much cheaper and stronger than American grocery store spices. I also use a lot of fresh ginger - ginger, garlic, and red pepper is a combination which works with all kinds of food. Someone mentioned fennel seed - a little fennel and just a touch of cinnamon is an interesting variation on tomato based sauces.

In the case of the bland crab soup, I'm not sure what I would have done - maybe sort of a Louisiana profile since you already had garlic and onion? Black pepper, red pepper, celery.