I'm stuck

Options
I have been with MFP consistently since Jan 1. I have done well thus far but seem to be stuck. I have read all the posts about making sure I'm eating my exercise calories, being honest on my calorie count, etc. I have done ALL those things and the scale still isn't moving. MFP has me on 1200 calories per day but I reduced it to 1000. I eat that plus most of my exercise calories which are usually 800-1000 per day. What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been with MFP consistently since Jan 1. I have done well thus far but seem to be stuck. I have read all the posts about making sure I'm eating my exercise calories, being honest on my calorie count, etc. I have done ALL those things and the scale still isn't moving. MFP has me on 1200 calories per day but I reduced it to 1000. I eat that plus most of my exercise calories which are usually 800-1000 per day. What am I doing wrong???
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. I'm in the same boat, despite best efforts-- faithful counting and logging, exercise, water-- just that dreaded plateau.

I see you're about halfway towards goal, I guess the metabolism has just gotten used to your current level of everything. I'm trying to lose the rascally last 20. I've changed my exercise routine. I've been taebo/turbo jamming it for a couple months so this week I began running/walking and will do that for a month or so. Our bodies can get used to our exercise, I guess they say. Also, I went back on Slim-Fast to try and jumpstart the metabolism.

it's frustrating for sure-- wish I had more to offer!!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    On the contrary it sounds to me like you're not eating enough. 800-1000 calories per day is very low. If MFP has you on 1200 cals per day... eat those 1200 cals plus your excercise cals. You're on the low spectrum of cals so I dont think you have much room to be adjusting calories. Also, look into what you are eating and when, it can make a huge difference. Based on your cal intake per day I would assume that you aren't crazy overweight (I can only assume, so correct me if Im wrong). The leaner you are, the harder it is to lose weight and if you dont see a difference on the scale then take your measurements.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    You can't eat 1000 or fewer net calories per day and expect your body to function properly. Up your calories to at LEAST 1200 (NET calories, that means setting it at 1200 AND eating all of your exercise calories). And be very very patient. It can take time to show results, for some it's a longer wait than for others. Good luck.
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's very hard to comprehend being on "a diet" and eating more than I ever have. I am eating the right types of foods...no red meat, lots of veggies and fruits, whole grain breads/rice, etc but I may need to look at the timing of my evening meal. By the time I get home, exercise, do a little housework, and prepare dinner, I'm generally eating between 7-8 pm then I still have to fit in a snack to use my exercise calories. I think I may also need to up the calories I'm taking in at breakfast and lunch so I don't have so many at the end of the day. I may be eating too high calorie food too late in the day just to try to get all of them in. Also, I looked at the report MFP does for the net calorie intake for the last 30 days and I think you're right. My net calorie intake is frequently falling below 1000 per day. I'll try to increase.
    I was sooooo hoping to be at my halfway point by Valentine's Day. I just need 2.5 to get there! Thanks for the help and support. I'll try to adjust things and maybe adjust my exercise routine.
  • skinnyray
    Options
    I hear ya! Try to eat most of your calories earlier in the day, and go light on dinner, especially if your evening is pretty sedentary. Also, are you eating small meals through the day or strictly three meals? The issue may be that your body thinks it's starving, though we know it's not, and does everything possible to hang on to the "extra pounds" it has (just in case this meal is its last). If you feed it often, even though the meals are small, you may see an increase in the weight loss! Keep at it! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am around the same age, and am also at the same 27-28 pound mark, and started in june/july to lose weight.

I am trying different things now. I will let you know what finally works!!

The 2 things that stand out in your statement are
    1000 cals a day (you should start with no less than 1200)
    plus
    800-1000 cals in exercise (do you have an HRM telling you this number?)

So if these numbers are correct you should be eating between 2000-2200 cals a day.

I would say more like 1600. Which I am not listening to myself, which is why I am typing this!!

I just went to a medical website that told me to eat 1783 a day and exercise moderately 30-40 min a day to acheive my goal weight by 5/14/09. I am going to do this and see what happens.

oh my I have rambled, sorry

^edit^ my true end goal weight is 125
  • MattySparky
    Options
    dont get hung up on not eating at the end of the day... I've learned this is a myth from a very knowledgable member of this forum. The fact is you need calories and it doesn't matter when you eat them, you just need to eat them. While most people may feel comfortable not eating later than earlier, including myself, there is nothing wrong with eating late as long as you're not going over your cals.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, first, a couple of weeks without loss isn't all that unusual. It happens from time to time. The body sometimes adjusts to changes and it can take weeks to catch up to it and really restart the process. Also, examine your goals, your size (be honest), and your limitations and see if they all match up.

For instance, if you want to lose 2 lbs a week, but have been working out for a few years, and have a bmi of somewhere around 27, well, that's probably not going to happen. Why? Because, your body is already used to exercise so you won't be shocking it, and you aren't obese, so there aren't copius stores of fat around to burn up when you are in high caloric deficit. See where I'm going with this.

1000 calories base is probably a little low. I guess it works if you are 4'10" and have a small base frame, but really, other then that, you probably want to have more coming in then that. I can't say one way or the other with any certainty (because 1200 calories is a generic number based on averages) but really 1200 is pretty much the low end for most people and should only be exceeded under professional health manangement supervision for short periods.