To eat back or not eat back that is the question.

Options
I'm so confused by this. My fit bit is synced to MFP. My calorie intake is 1200 and on my first week last week lost 5lbs. (Hope it isn't a fluke) i have a desk bases job so very sedentary during the day and only get my steps in on an eve. I've been doing high intense classes which my fitbit registers. By the time it does my adjustment on MFP means I've burnt off more than I've eaten. So my question is...... do I eat back even Some???? Thank you xx

Replies

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat 50% of my exercise calories but I could've gone right up to 75% because I lost, on average, 750g a week as opposed to the 500g a week I was gunning for.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I doubt that you have burnt 1200 unless you spent several hours at the gym. Check what online calculators give you for your workout and eat at least half of them back. More if you are still hungry.
  • madameb80
    madameb80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I doubt that you have burnt 1200 unless you spent several hours at the gym. Check what online calculators give you for your workout and eat at least half of them back. More if you are still hungry.

I have my fit bit linked to MFP I did 2 HIT classes first burnt over 260 second 560 which by the time I got home I'd burnt more cals than I had consumed. MFP is adjusting my intake as the day goes so I've got to trust it I guess. Lost 5lbs last week so fingers crossed this week.
  • madameb80
    madameb80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a few on here that I need to eat them back. I'm at the point of being scared to. Though I ate some back last week and lost. It was my first week though. Just scared incase it was a fluke. X
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You probably lost 5 lbs the first week because that's water weight. That's normal.

The MFP program is setup so you can eat the exercise calories back. Sometimes the calorie numbers can be inflated. Many people eat about 50 percent back for that reason.

I eat my exercise calories back if I'm hungry, otherwise not. I don't force myself to eat or force myself to go without food.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    madameb80 wrote: »
    on my first week last week lost 5lbs. (Hope it isn't a fluke)

It's not a "fluke", but it's a typical first week. Don't expect that kind of loss every week. It wasn't fat, it was mostly fluid. Fat loss shouldn't be more than 1-2 pounds per week. And even when that happens, it's an average over time. Fat loss can be mostly linear. Weight loss (which includes water weight) is far from it.

As to the rest of your post, it is for your health that you should eat exercise calories back if you are using MFP. If you don't you run the risk of increasing your deficit, which sounds good at first (bigger is better right?), but it can be bad for your health in other ways, like loss of muscle and lean body mass - which is something that you want to preserve in this process.

I try to eat 50-100% of them back. It keeps me right on target. If you are doing this for a scale number, you'll be tempted to "be safe" and go for the biggest deficit possible. If you are doing this for your overall health, why not do it in the most healthy way possible? Keep it steady with your calorie deficit under control.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,935 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    madameb80 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I have my fit bit linked to MFP I did 2 HIT classes first burnt over 260 second 560 which by the time I got home I'd burnt more cals than I had consumed. MFP is adjusting my intake as the day goes so I've got to trust it I guess. Lost 5lbs last week so fingers crossed this week.

What's your height, current weight, and goal weight?

You are just looking at the adjustment you get on MFP, yes? Not the numbers on the fitbit? (Numbers on the fitbit include your BMR so do not reflect just calories burned, unless yours has a separate item for that.) What kind of FB do you have?

Unless you have hundreds of pounds to lose, going forward you should not expect 5 pound losses per week. In fact, if the exercise is new you could retain some water from that, which would mask your progress. My own scale went up 7 pounds when I started lifting weights again. Took a few weeks to come off.

But to answer your question, to use MFP correctly you do eat back exercise calories. However, sometimes HRM activity trackers give inflated calorie counts. So does MapMyHike. So you have to experiment with what percent of exercise calories will give you your target weekly rate of loss.
  • ComptonSkyhawk
    ComptonSkyhawk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went for a couple of walks today, 30 mins on a treadmill, then just a jaunt with my wife and her friend. Total calories burnt was 1004. I seriously am not hungry tonight. I pre-plan meals and just trying to choke down my night time snacks is a chore. Total consumed today is 1800 calories and change. My daily target is 1760 cal. I don't want to force any more down, its bed time soon.... Little advice?
  • ComptonSkyhawk
    ComptonSkyhawk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Simple answer, perfect. You are very wise, thank you!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Coco_Camm wrote: »
    I went for a couple of walks today, 30 mins on a treadmill, then just a jaunt with my wife and her friend. Total calories burnt was 1004. I seriously am not hungry tonight. I pre-plan meals and just trying to choke down my night time snacks is a chore. Total consumed today is 1800 calories and change. My daily target is 1760 cal. I don't want to force any more down, its bed time soon.... Little advice?

I eat back calories when Im hungry and dont when Im not. Listen to your body.

Although I suggest starting you're own thread for more personalized answers so you're not hijacking Op's, but I will say this. Hunger is a terrible indicator on whether you are getting the nutrition you need. Although one day of this won't hurt you, it's not something you want to get in the habit of.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

How did you work out calories burned here? It takes a lot of walking (like 5 or more hours for an average person) to burn that much.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

Although I suggest starting you're own thread for more personalized answers so you're not hijacking Op's, but I will say this. Hunger is a terrible indicator on whether you are getting the nutrition you need. Although one day of this won't hurt you, it's not something you want to get in the habit of.

^^this.

Not to mention for that reason, 'listen to your body' is how some of us became overweight/obese to begin with!
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

^^this.

Not to mention for that reason, 'listen to your body' is how some of us became overweight/obese to begin with!

I would suggest that not listening to our bodies was how most of us got here. We listened to our emotions instead. If we listened to our bodies, they would have told us "you're full and don't need to eat".

Recently read a research article that found people who had lost weight & kept it off for a year had not only reported increased appetites as compared to pre-weight loss, but had appetite-regulating hormone levels (leptin, I believe) that had not yet adapted to their new body weight. In other words, they felt hungry even when caloric & nutritional needs were adequately met. Researchers theorize this may be contributing to the difficulties people have maintaining their weight loss.

My apologies for the odd wording in summarizing that research. If I can find the original article, I'll edit & add the link.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

^^this.

I would suggest that not listening to our bodies was how most of us got here. We listened to our emotions instead. If we listened to our bodies, they would have told us "you're full and don't need to eat".

My body is a treacherous liar. My emotions are fine. My appetite got me to 70 pounds overweight.

2j6832ysudum.jpg

• jenniferhugheswork
    jenniferhugheswork Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back unless I'm hungry. I try to do my workouts in the evening then have dinner after I get home even if it's later etc I've lost 1.6kg in the last week.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back unless I'm hungry. I try to do my workouts in the evening then have dinner after I get home even if it's later etc I've lost 1.6kg in the last week.

I hope that's not a deficit and weight loss you are trying to maintain (with the caveat that if you are morbidly obese or under a doctor supervision it's possibly okay)....

I also hope you realize that not eating back calories you add for exercise can cause you health problems (if your caloric deficit becomes excessive). I don't know your stats, but if you are avoiding keeping your deficit reasonable in order to "maximize your weight loss rate" (which I realize you didn't say explicitly), it's not a healthy option.

You may not be doing any of those things, but your post is potential red flag.