To eat back or not eat back that is the question.

Options
2»

Replies

• ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I actually have my calories set to maintenance and rely on my workouts to put me in a deficit so I don't eat my workouts back.

I've lost just over 1kg each week doing this but I do workout quite a bit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to, but again, most people don't log accurately, so unless you weigh everything, you're probably better off not eating them back.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Eat them back. If 1200 is your goal and a deficit. If you burn 300 calories and eat them back, (1500 - 300) you're still at 1200 calories. If you don't eat them back you're down to 900 calories and pretty much starving yourself.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared. I hit a major plateau, increased calories and started losing again. Eating too little calories is just as hindering to weight loss as eating too many.
  • lexmb1
    lexmb1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ldwatene wrote: »
    I actually have my calories set to maintenance and rely on my workouts to put me in a deficit so I don't eat my workouts back.

This. That's what I do also. SO much easier. For me anyways. Lost 6 lbs so far. It's a slow process; just the way I like it!
  • HIITHolly
    HIITHolly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    madameb80 wrote: »
    I'm so confused by this. My fit bit is synced to MFP. My calorie intake is 1200 and on my first week last week lost 5lbs. (Hope it isn't a fluke) i have a desk bases job so very sedentary during the day and only get my steps in on an eve. I've been doing high intense classes which my fitbit registers. By the time it does my adjustment on MFP means I've burnt off more than I've eaten. So my question is...... do I eat back even Some???? Thank you xx

I never eat my calories back. If I have an intake of a specific amount, I keep to it. No matter how much I workout. The best way to ensure you're full without going over your intake is foods that are filling but lower in calories. I love fruit. Lately especially watermelon. It's almost a free calorie fruit and it's so filling. 3.5 cups is around 100 cals. I also work a desk job so I take three 15 minute walks a day during work hours and snack on fruit at my desk I between meals. One hand in the watermelon cubes and one on the keyboard lol

• msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I notice that Fitbit can add steps even when your just waving you arm and not moving. There were times when I was riding on back of a motorcycles and my Fitbit was saying I took at lot of steps. So be caution what you count as additional calories for Fitbit. I normally do not eat my exercise calories. I up my daily calories from the suggested MFP calories suggestion.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

a 1kg a week is a fairly high rate of loss (approx. 2.2lbs) - which isn't recommended unless you have 75+lbs to lose
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

a 1kg a week is a fairly high rate of loss (approx. 2.2lbs) - which isn't recommended unless you have 75+lbs to lose

Based on what? A 7500/week deficit or thereabouts is pretty sustainable for even moderately overweight males. My maintenance at 20 pounds overweight was about 2600-2700 calories/day as a 6'2" 200ish pound male.

I wouldn't call 1700 calories a day (net of exercise calories) a serious health threat by any means.