Will I get used to this?

Options
Hello everybody, I am new here! :happy: I just want to ask a question. I am not really the sporty type, and it is my first time to attempt to exercise in a long period of time. Problem is, on the first 5 minutes of my exercise, I already feel tired, and I run out of breath.

Before, I thought I will find it harder to control my eating habits that to exercise. But now it's the other way around! :cry:

Breathing becomes so hard to me that I can't seem to continue! Did this already happen to you? And please give me tips on how to avoid this in the future! Many thanks!

Replies

• wannawanna
    Options
    Hello everybody, I am new here! :happy: I just want to ask a question. I am not really the sporty type, and it is my first time to attempt to exercise in a long period of time. Problem is, on the first 5 minutes of my exercise, I already feel tired, and I run out of breath.

Before, I thought I will find it harder to control my eating habits that to exercise. But now it's the other way around! :cry:

Breathing becomes so hard to me that I can't seem to continue! Did this already happen to you? And please give me tips on how to avoid this in the future! Many thanks!
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Mary, what type of exercise are you doing????? and yep happened to me too...
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, There are a number of things to consider.. your starting weight, the speed at which you are working out and your over all health. I started walking on the treadmill 3 weeks ago. (225 start weight, no ACL in left knee) At first, I couldn't go more than 2.8 mph and constantly thought of reasons to stop before my 30 mins was up. I have stuck with it everyday and am already able to walk between 3.3 and 3.5 mph for 60 mins. AND.. this week I started running (1 min. at a time to begin with... thought I would die!) Now I run at 4.5-5.0 mph for about 12 mins during my 60 min. workout. These are broken up into 2 min. bursts right now. I can't wait to be able to run through an entire song (Let's go Crazy, Prince!). Don't give up... keep with it. Take small steps at first, do as much as you can. You will be surprised at what you can do!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

The only thing I can say is, I was never a "sporty" person, but I started out by walking and eventually, I wanted more of a challenge and incorporated jogging for a couple minutes in between my walking. After, I bought a Pedometer and saw how many calories I burned in what time, I began to challenge myself.

Now, I go to the gym regularly and I bought a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) and that has really helped me to stay active, because I love to see those calories burned and know that I becomine more healthy every month.

You have done the first step. COngrats! Now stay on here and log your calorie intake and your exercise calories... you will start noticing where you need more help.

Good Luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Keep going. It'll get better. When I first started after a 10 year layoff. I could only work hard for about 9 minutes before I had to slow down to fa fast walk. Now I can do an hour of hard cardio and be fine after (15 months ago). You'll get it, and you'll get it fast, don't worry. Just set short term goals, maybe try to tack on 1 minute per week for the first few months.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    It gets easier for sure, but you have to work up to it. If you've never ran or worked out before I wouldn't suggest just diving into an intense workout. It's going to kill your ambition which you need to get through something like this!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it does get easier, but itf it's REALLY hard on you consider something that is lower impact. Swimming is a great one. I love to swim, and I have never gotten winded from it. It's benefits are, nonetheless, amazing :flowerforyou:
  • wannawanna
    Options
    Hello everybody! It's so good you're all so friendly here! :heart:

Well, I tried cycling, but as I have said I got really tired, it's like my heart is going to burst. So I tried brisk walking instead, something which I think is easier but I still got really exhausted. :frown:

It's so encouraging to hear that you can now do so much exercise! I hope I can do that too, in the near future! :happy:

I'm really doing my best to follow this program (trying to eat healthy, drinking LOTS of water, and now, walking or cycling around) and I hope I will succeed just like all of you!

Thanks guys!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    it does get easier, but itf it's REALLY hard on you consider something that is lower impact. Swimming is a great one. I love to swim, and I have never gotten winded from it. It's benefits are, nonetheless, amazing :flowerforyou:

If you're not in shape, swimming will get you winded. Trust me on this! :laugh: I now do different strokes for each lap so I can pant as much as I need to... 1st lap, freestyle, 2nd lap side stroke (left side), 3rd lap backstroke-which actually winds me more for some reason, 4th lap side stroke (right side), 5th lap breast stroke--but without dipping my head, then start all over again.
  • wannawanna
    Options
    kerrilucko wrote:

Really? I would also love to try swimming!

I am also thinking of taking up swimming classes (I don't know how to swim! :embarassed: ) and other sports that I think is suitable for me, but I think I should first get used to always working out. Haaaah... I can do this!!! :bigsmile:
  • wannawanna
    Options
    sorry sorry sorry, I totally messed up on that quote thing!

:embarassed:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! It does get easier, i used to wheeze my head off just stepping on the treadmill, and walking up hill was a no go area, I would get the bus or a lift instead, but now, I beat my kids up the hill on occassion :drinker:

Trust me, I NEVER thought I'd EVER manage the hill I live on, but I do, and I even get off that bus early - just so I can walk up that hill these days :flowerforyou:
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    Biking may br too much to start with, try walking, or swimming, but start slowly, walk to end of block and back, I bought those walking tapes, those are good, I also bought a belly dancing DVD and wow, so fun, so go slow, and add on each day, and YES it will get easier
  • BubiBBubillion
    Options
    It does get easier... you're just gonna have to make some sacrifices early on. Meaning, there will be some pain involved... Ask yourself, is it unbearable after 5 minutes, or just very difficult? If it's very difficult, push yourself an extra 5 minutes... 5 agonizing minutes is not gonna kill you. Then, as mentioned here, try to add 1 or 2 minutes at a time each week. Do 6 minutes difficult, 6 minutes unbearable... and so forth. In 2 months, you'll be working out for half an hour at a time with no problem. Try to do this 6 times/wk. 3 days on and 3 days off. I know you need time to recover, but when you are working out for only 5 or 10 minutes, you don't really need that many days off. Try doing some weight training also, in ADDITION to all this stuff you're doing. It'll change the shape of your body and you'll really notice a difference 4 or 5 months from now. Hope that helps. I got a lot of work to do too so, don't give up. No pain, no gain. A lot of people will tell you, don't over do it... I think that's just fuel for excuses. most people who are severely out of shape, couldn't over do it if they tried. Instead, we end up saying to ourselves "let me no over do it," and you end up never exerting yourself to the limits you need to reach to actualize some improvements. So push yourself a little bit and if you think you're over doing it, don't worry, you'll know the next day if you did. By then, you already pushed your body to another level that you had not realized before and it will make things easier the next day. Good luck.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I had a very hard time when I first started exercising. I would get tired and out of breath right away, and my lungs felt like they would explode. But it does get better, you just have to keep going and try to do a little more each time.

I can do 20 or 30 minutes of step aerobics now, and while it's still a challenge (which is good, when it's not a challenge anymore it's time to step up the intensity), I don't get that 'I'm gonna die if I don't get oxygen' kind of feeling I used to get just from low impact stuff.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    If you're not an exercise oriented person the first thing you need to do is to set up an easy to follow plan. As most have pointed out doing something easy is better than hurting yourself doing something that's foreign to your daily life style.

Start walking. Go for short distances (away from the house and back again) and then extend that distance each week until you get yourself up to a mile.

Add a jog in every now and then after you've gotten used to the 1 mile walk routine. Jog for a minute only and then walk until you have your breath back. Repeat, etc.

Remember the body doesn't like to exercise so it will be hard to set up a routine but once it's established it becomes addictive and hard to stop. A word of caution here is important to remember -- if you ever do stop for any length of time it will be just as difficult to start up again as it was to first get started.

If the weather isn't cooperative and you need to rely on the bike then put it on the easiest setting you can get it to and just go through the motions until both your lungs, legs and back adjust to the exercise. Each week add more time to the routine until you either get bored or you have achieved, let's just say for planning purposes, one mile. Once you've achieved your time or distance goal then add just a touch of tension to the routine and work yourself back up to your goal time or distance. Repeat this process until you are ripping the sweat out of you and your lungs are begging for more of a work out.

You never want to get yourself to the point of hurting because that only creates the desire to not work out. Don't pamper yourself but pay attention to what your body is telling you. You will ache the next day but it shouldn't hurt like shin splints or a pulled muscle would. Work carefully into an exercise routine.

It does get addictive like eating really expensive dark chocolate! :laugh:
  • wannawanna
    Options
    I'm actually longing for the day that I would actually like working out. Now it's just purely ....umm... tormenting for me. But I won't give up! And people tell me that it will feel invigorating once I get used to it. :smile:

Based on your posts, maybe I'll just start with brisk walking, then extend the time in doing it, then later choose a more intense work out. Does that sound good? :smile:

It has always been my dream to really know a particular sport, and I will really persevere so I will be used to sweating it out! (Though, if I pursue sports involving a ball, I might have a hard time because of my bad hand-eye coordination, but that is a different story. :laugh: )
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    When I started running 6-7 years ago, I couldn't run to the corner without getting so out of breath, I had people ask if I was having an asthma attack. Two marathons, 6-7 half-marathons and hundreds of miles later, I routinely run 10-15 mile runs on weekends, with no walk breaks, at a moderately brisk pace, while carrying on a conversation with my running buddies.
    Start slow. Find something like the Galloway running program where you alternate walk / run intervals, gradually increasing the proportion of running as your stamina / fitness improves. Over time, you will be able to run longer and faster.
    The other thing is to pace yourself. Even now, if I enter a race and try to hang with the fast people at the start, I will still get winded early and have trouble recovering. So, if you have a one minute or five minute interval to run, pick a pace that will challenge you, but that you can still maintain through the whole interval, rather than running as fast as you can and having to drop off halfway through.
  • wannawanna
    Options
    So, if you have a one minute or five minute interval to run, pick a pace that will challenge you, but that you can still maintain through the whole interval, rather than running as fast as you can and having to drop off halfway through.

Thanks for the good tip! :happy: I think this is what I did wrong; I just jumped on my bike and pedaled fast, without thinking if my body can bear it. Thanks! :happy: :happy:
  • wannawanna
    Options
    Hello everybody, I have to go, but thanks for your tips! I really appreciate them and I think I should really put them into use. :smile:

Thanks everybody! You are all so supportive! :flowerforyou: It really encourages me to fight of these unhealthy pounds.

I'll exercise! Eat healthy! And drink lots of water!!! :drinker:

Bye. And thanks again! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: