Inexpensive, quick, and easy = does it exist?

laura_wigman
laura_wigman Posts: 1 Member
I'm not the greatest cook; when I get home from work during the week the last thing I want to do is prepare a meal.
I need your help!
Can anyone share a favourite dish that is simple and quick to make?
Thanks ☺️

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    my go-to - chicken or shrimp, oven-roasted potatos and some kind of other veg; adjust for calories/macros for the day - 45min start to finish (potatos take roughly that long to cook including heating up the oven)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Fish fillets. Super easy for a beginner.

Add seasoning, wrap in foil, bake 180C/350F for 20 min. Or pan fry skin side down until nearly done (you'll see it turn opaque as it cooks), flip and cook briefly to finish, serve. Or put on a bit of greased foil and steam in a steamer for about 10 min. Add whatever seasonings, flavourings, herbs etc you like.

Fish is very quick to cook and very easy to see when it's done - when cooked, it is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Cook til it is just done, don't overdo it.

Eggs also tick all your boxes and you can cook them in all sorts of ways.

There are a lot of pasta toppings that can be made in the 10 min it takes the pasta itself to cook.

Also, my answer to the above is "lots of things", because once you have practiced basic cooking skills you find that many, many dishes become easy and fast that would have seemed overwhelming when you were new to it. It takes time to build up experience but it is very, very worth it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Check out the cookbook Simple: The Easiest Cookbook in the World. All recipes are 2-6 ingredients and 1-4 steps with great photos. I saw it at a bookstore but got it used online. It just came today!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Pasta is very easy to do, as of course are things like sandwiches and wraps. I'll often buy some deli meats and cheeses, some veggies, and some tortillas for wraps. Assembly time is pretty quick.

Another idea is to do a food that you can prepare ahead of time (e.g. on the weekend) and then actually finish cooking during the week. Marinated food is a great example of food that not only can be prepped in advance, but should be prepped in advance. A lot of things can tolerate a few days in the fridge before cooking, though.

If you have a slow cooker, you can make a lot of things like soups, stews, or curries and let most of the work happen while you're working. Many of those are really actually pretty basic - just "cut things up and add to pot". It's worth watching some videos on proper knife skills so you don't add any pieces of your fingers to the meal (and/or just get a kevlar glove), but as long as you cut slowly and carefully you can pretty much chop anything safely.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2017
    rankinsect wrote: »

Another idea is to do a food that you can prepare ahead of time (e.g. on the weekend) and then actually finish cooking during the week. A lot of things can tolerate a few days in the fridge before cooking, though.

I agree with this ^^^.

I just cooked a batch of this and made several inexpensive, protein-rich meals (18 grams of protein per cup)
    -- 1 bag of dried lentils (cost $1 US dollar)
    -- chopped carrots and onions (less than $1)
    -- a little spice (McCormick's, a lot of different kinds, I used the Mexican spice tonight. A container is probably about $3 and can be used for dozens of meals)

When I decide to eat it, I will stir fry in a little olive oil and add steamed kale or some other steamed greens. Kale costs $1.49 a pound here.

Sometimes I cook several bags of lentils, throw in whatever vegetables I have around, and freeze in individual plastic bags. It takes about 2 minutes to reheat and add steamed greens.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Tonight I made a tray of meatballs while a potato was nuked in the microwave.

It is cheap, easy, and takes just over thirty minutes. The spare meatballs went in to the freezer for an even cheaper and easier meal another day.

I used soy sauce and BBQ sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce, added half a shredded carrot, and subbed potato flakes because I have it around. A very forgiving recipe.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easy-meatballs/2959910f-1b27-438a-9085-d40b1950db20
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Teriyaki chicken. Saute onions, and thin sliced chicken (6oz) in a TBSP teriyaki sauce. When chicken (or steak or shrimp) is done add a cup of green beans. Serve over rice, noodles, or by itself. Takes about 15 minutes. (30 if you're my daughter and a bit OCD that all the chicken be EXACTLY the same thicknesses)
  • tiddyp
    tiddyp Posts: 4 Member
    Cauliflower cous cous, sweetcorn, capers and chicken or prawns!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Sheet pan meals and crockpot
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Also, burgers are incredibly easy. All you need is minced beef, salt and pepper. There are all sorts of different schools of thought on how you go about assembling these ingredients (Google it), but it's rarely complicated. I would not add fillers or egg - that's for meatballs. Burgers are just meat.

You'll get a far better burger for your money if you make it yourself compared to buying it. Frozen burgers use lower-grade higher-fat meat than what the same money will buy unmade, and that means they shrink when you cook them, and that means you were sold a pup. Buy decent meat instead and make your own.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    During the week it's usually some kind of protein on the grill and 2 servings of veg on the side, cooked in some manner or another. If my wife and I are cutting weight we don't eat any starches or grains most dinners (maybe a couple times per week) but we do in maintenance...no magic in that, it's just that neither of us count calories anymore.
  • evlmidget
    evlmidget Posts: 11 Member
    Have you thought about meal prepping, so your food is already prepared when you get home. Or use a slow cooker and your food will be done when you get home. Make enough in the slow cooker to have left overs. Easy.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    My 2 favorite meals are sheet pan meals or grill pan meals. If you "Pintrest", search sheet pan meals. It will change your life.

Grill pan meals are basically a lean meat and a veggie grilled on a pan on my stove.

I think the hardest I think I do during this is the prep. Cutting the veggies. All of my dinners are done in 30-40 minutes or less and clean up is simple.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Check out budgetbytes.com almost all of her recipes are quick, easy, cheap and delicious. I LOVE the oatmeal bakes.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    You should invest in a crock pot. SERIOUSLY. I've walked into my house smelling like heaven with a hot meal ready and waiting and been so grateful.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Eggs are cheap and easy.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    We live on stir fries. Whatever veggies we have in the fridge go in there. Sometimes with tofu, sometimes chicken. We have it with some kind of starch. In a wrap if need be, but quinoa or rice or sweet potatoes or ordinary potatoes all work well. The sweet potatoes can be microwaving as your stir fry cooks. I don't stir that much either. I put a lid on it and turn the heat down and just stir occasionally.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I'm not the greatest cook; when I get home from work during the week the last thing I want to do is prepare a meal.
    I need your help!
    Can anyone share a favourite dish that is simple and quick to make?
    Thanks ☺️

I'm generally willing to spend maybe 5 minutes on the task of feeding myself on a miscellaneous day, so I batch cook stuff in advance in some sacrifical block of time that won't need more than the microwave at time of eating. (I also typically eat dinner before leaving work to head to the gym/run/cycling group, then a snack on the way to dancing. I don't normally eat at home until a light supper post-dancing at 10:30pm-ish).

Soup.
    Rice & beans (pref. with extra veggies).
    -- Can be made in giant batches and individual servings microwaved as needed. Both are largely idiot proof.
    --(for rice & beans, easiest for me has been rice in rice cooker, beans in pressure cooker, additional veggies & seasonings in caldera/large pot. Stir the rice and beans into the other stuff in pot when they're done.
    -- Soup is just chopping random stuff and throwing into pot. Don't forget beans (fiber=filling) and a protein source (see "miscellaneous meat pieces" below).

Salad + miscellaneous meat pieces
    - Pre-chop, wash as much lettuce as will fit in salad spinner (these are worth it if you love salad), so it will be on hand for at least a few salads.
    - "miscellaneous meat pieces": Can cook up entire batch of ground beef/turkey, chicken, etc, then chop into pieces and freeze. Or carve and chop up a ready-made rotisserie chicken (loss leader item at many stores so cheaper than a full raw chicken). Chunk of pre-cooked ham (Price rite has lean quarters pretty inexpensive). Microwave single servings as needed.

Miscellaneous frozen veggies + miscellaneous meat pieces.
    --(self explanatory). add pepper/garlic/onion/balsamic vinegar/etc to flavor. Can oven roast also with olive oil and add bread crumbs if desired.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Quick
    Cheap
    Healthy
    Delicious
    In general pick no more than 3 of above
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Rotisserie chicken, steamed vegetables and salad.