Wanting to go Vegan any ideas?

Options
Hi guys I have no clue what I'm doing....lol
But after watching what the health I'm all in...
So is they're any good meals and smoothie that are vegan friendly if so help me out here lol thanks in advance

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    What the Health is propaganda that's being slammed by vegans worldwide. If you want to go vegan, by all means do the research and go in educated, but don't do it as a kneejerk reaction to a Netflix show.

What this gal said.

Going vegan in a kneejerk reaction to a shockumentary is not a good idea. It takes research and planning to do it in a healthy way for the long term, and can't be done with just a few recipes.

If you are seriously interested in looking into a vegan lifestyle, I believe there's a few good vegan groups in the 'groups' section of the forum that you can go to.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What the Health was made by a group of Animal Rights Activists that will go to the ends of the earth to save every animal. Full of lies to scare people. Really, milk causes osteoporosis and pancreatic cancer? Think about it.
    https://vinnietortorich.com/2017/06/netflix-what-the-health-lies-that-will-kill-episode-845/
    They have taken studies and manipulated them. Lies, lies, lies.

Eat veggies to be healthier. Not because you were scared by a documentary. I know many people that never touch veggies. They are full of vitamins that can be good for your heart.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Nicole wrote: »
    Consider things like dairy depletes calcium from the bones etc.

What the hell does that even mean???!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with going vegan...but What the Health is a terrible reason to do it. It is just a fear mongering propaganda piece with cherry picked science and over the top antics like comparing meat to sauteing cigarettes...
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Clean Eating and Vegetarian magazines have vegan recipe ideas, check out their websites. Also fitmencook has a lot of vegan options. I'm not vegan but I like to try non-meat protein recipes. Whatever reason you've decided to make this change...good luck.
  • SilverGreen17
    SilverGreen17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a flexitarian, not a vegan. I will sometimes eat meat/fish when out to dinner. I still include dairy in my diet (cheese, yoghurt, ice cream), but have minimised the amount I consume and have made an effort to substitute some of it - i.e. almond milk instead of cow's milk in my oatmeal and smoothies. I just saw a recipe for a whipped cream substitute using cashews, which I can't wait to try.

I've never seen What the Health so I really can't comment on it, but if you're interested in more science-based dietary advice then I would recommend checking out Nutrition Facts. There is truth to whole-food plant-based diets being among the healthiest for us. This is also shown to be true in the research of Blue Zones - places in the world with some of the oldest, healthiest populations. You can find a summary of diet recommendations based on what is consumed in Blue Zones here.

I typically like to consume veggies/legumes in soup form since it's easy and tasty; these are a couple of my favourites:

Spiced Vegan Lentil Soup (I just bought this blogger's cookbook and want to try a majority of the recipes - they look so good and I consider myself relatively picky!)
    Vegetarian Split Pea Soup (not quite sure why this isn't titled "Vegan" instead of "Vegetarian" as there aren't any animal products in it!)

My favourite snack at the moment is edamame, which you can buy frozen and is ready in 5 minutes!

Hope this helps! :)