Is 1000 calories a day good?

Options
So I'm eating about 1000 calories a day, however since I'm working for 8 hours, standing walking and lifting bags, I'm burning all of it off, and probably more. Is that good? I don't feel worn down just yet, this is my third day

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not at all. You're doing it wrong unless you care nothing about your health and just want to lose weight by any means. Definitely not sustainable.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. 1000 is too low if you're basically lying in bed all day. But you're moving around? Not good.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing this under the supervision of a doctor, then no it really isn't a good thing to do even if you weren't working out that would still be too few calories for any adult or young adult.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    So I'm eating about 1000 calories a day, however since I'm working for 8 hours, standing walking and lifting bags, I'm burning all of it off, and probably more. Is that good? I don't feel worn down just yet, this is my third day

No. The minimum recommended is 1200, but then you're burning a lot, so you need to eat more than the minimum.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

No. The minimum recommended is 1200, but then you're burning a lot, so you need to eat more than the minimum.

1500 is minimum as op is a guy
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    No. Your body needs fuel!!!! With that low of a calorie intake you are probably not getting enough nutrients (vitamins and minerals), let alone calories to fuel your life.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It depends on your situation. If you are being closely supervised by a doctor, nutritionist, and trainer it is ok for a short period of time. I am doing the same thing right now with all of these people guiding me, making sure I am getting the proper percentages of protein/fats/carbs and making sure that I eat 30% of my daily calories both pre and post workout. I am also not staying at this calorie amount for long (about 2 months), just enough to get my metabolism back on track.

why do you think you need to get your metabolism back on track? its always working. not to mention anyone can become a nutritionist and most trainers dont have any degrees in dietary need/nutrition,etc. your dr told you to do this? what?

I would hypothesize that would be more damaging to metabolism than getting it on track...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    It depends on your situation. If you are being closely supervised by a doctor, nutritionist, and trainer it is ok for a short period of time. I am doing the same thing right now with all of these people guiding me, making sure I am getting the proper percentages of protein/fats/carbs and making sure that I eat 30% of my daily calories both pre and post workout. I am also not staying at this calorie amount for long (about 2 months), just enough to get my metabolism back on track.

why do you think you need to get your metabolism back on track? its always working. not to mention anyone can become a nutritionist and most trainers dont have any degrees in dietary need/nutrition,etc. your dr told you to do this? what?

I would hypothesize that would be more damaging to metabolism than getting it on track...

I agree
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    heck Im female and ate over 2000 calories when I first started and lost weight. I was sedentary at the time as well. so yeah for a male you should be eating more than 1000 for sure and if you are that tall and weigh 275 then you probably could eat more than 2000 and still lose as well. there is NO reason why anyone has to eat very low calories unless they are under the care of a dr,have a certain health issue or is an outlier. eating that little will have some drastic results down the line that you may or may not see until it hits you like a ton of bricks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You are MALE.....so no, 1000 calories is not good. When you try to lose weight in an aggressive manner, the percentage of lean muscle loss will be rather high.

Your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. need nourishment everyday. Unless your were bed ridden 1,000 calories wouldn't be enough.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do YOU think? Do you think the less food you eat, the faster you lose? That's not the whole picture. You need to eat less to lose weight, but you need to eat enough, too, to not lose your health, possibly your life. You can go for a few days without food or with little food, and it will take some time before you feel the effect, but why should you - it's unpleasant, unnecessary, and a few days here and there really has no impact in the long run, if you just go back to how you ate before; but what undereating really does, is make you overeat more afterwards.

Why wouldn't you use MFP as it's designed? If you're new, or if you've been struggling with weight for a long time. what makes you think you know better?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nope, not good... completely wrong.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    You can keep this up for a few days, sure no harm will get to you if you continue... Sigh...

Please do yourself a favour and google VLC diet side effects. It is not pleasant mate. You love your hair? Good, because soon that beautiful shiny mane of yours will start to fall out.

My hairdresser always knows when someone goes on a VLC diet which is what your zero calories comes under, as they come in to see her, really happy about their weight loss, as pale as can get with the dullest skin and their hair falling out, sometimes 3-6 months after they start eating properly again. Please learn from other people's mistakes and don't take this shortcut. It is really not worth it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm a 5'4" woman lightly active and I eat 1500 cals to lose weight. He is male and has an active job. How could you even suggest this might be okay???

OP, hopefully your logging is inaccurate and you are actually eating more than that. Regardless, you should NET at least 1500 per day. Please take care of yourself.