TOP 10 FAT LOSS HACKS YOU AREN’T DOING? FALSE-It's B.S.

Options
Hiiiiiii all you beautiful MFP people!

I read this article today and I wanted to share it. There is so much terrible information out there (this forum included) regarding what are the best/worst diets, fat loss, plateaus, fasting, macros etc and I though this was a good, simple, and entertaining read that many who might be struggling (especially those new to the process) could take something away from.

*Note-If you're sensitive to some profanity skip it.

http://physiqonomics.com/fat-loss/

Replies

• LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    His writing is terrible and annoying, but his info is good common sense info.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    His writing is terrible and annoying, but his info is good common sense info.

Agree, good common sense info.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I recently read this and then shared it in a FB group and received a bunch of heated comments regarding the calorie intake. Looking through it again, I had to agree with them. His math is sort of off. If I ate the amount he recommends I'd eat my arm off. The rest is SO good though and really spoke to me at another level, more than anyone ever has on this site. I needed that tough love!
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I recently read this and then shared it in a FB group and received a bunch of heated comments regarding the calorie intake. Looking through it again, I had to agree with them. His math is sort of off. If I ate the amount he recommends I'd eat my arm off. The rest is SO good though and really spoke to me at another level, more than anyone ever has on this site. I needed that tough love!

I also read it and loved it but being a newbie here, what was off with the calories? Because I did the math and everything and was ready to adjust my diet..again lol. So if you could tell me what was wrong would help me out :)
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I found that his calorie calculation, while far from exaxt, falls perfectly into my calorie goal as calculated by MFP.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The only thing I saw* that was actually "wrong" was the 190 lb guy - Tim - would have a Calorie intake of 1900, not 1990 - which it shows 1900 originally, then for whatever reason he then uses 1990 for the rest, which is probably fine, but might be confusing. The Calorie calculators (weight * whatever multiplier) are really just estimators - real world results/data after some time are going to have to be used. But, anecdotally, his calculator would give me around 1900-2200 Cals for weight loss, which is accurate for me.

* I didn't read every single word - I just skimmed it looking for Calorie estimations.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I also read it and loved it but being a newbie here, what was off with the calories? Because I did the math and everything and was ready to adjust my diet..again lol. So if you could tell me what was wrong would help me out :)

Hey! So I'm no expert and I hope others chime in with their own thoughts, but in my case the guy wants me to multiply my weight 147lbs x (9-10) which would be 1323 - 1470 and ta da! I have my calorie intake. Then I believe he suggests I lower that amount each time my weight stalls for a few weeks. That's a huge no no for me. I'm starting a cut (2 days so far so no biggie) to lose 1 lb per week and eating at 1750 cals a day. I just can't imagine eating anything less than that, at least not at the weight I am at now.

I still think it's a great article! I just ignore his calorie intake suggestion.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hey! So I'm no expert and I hope others chime in with their own thoughts, but in my case the guy wants me to multiply my weight 147lbs x (9-10) which would be 1323 - 1470 and ta da! I have my calorie intake. Then I believe he suggests I lower that amount each time my weight stalls for a few weeks. That's a huge no no for me. I'm starting a cut (2 days so far so no biggie) to lose 1 lb per week and eating at 1750 cals a day. I just can't imagine eating anything less than that, at least not at the weight I am at now.

I still think it's a great article! I just ignore his calorie intake suggestion.

But...

147 lb - and use the advanced multiplier of x12 for women and you get 1764 Cals. Not knowing your activity level, it's hard to know exactly which multiplier to use. But, it seems that you probably aren't sedentary. Obviously, you could be, but maybe do more with your exercise than expected during your 3-5x per week sessions.

And, yeah - use whatever Calorie estimator works.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh ok I see. Thanks :)
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The calorie calculator definitely didn't apply to me either. I have a completely sedentary job and train five days a week and my tdee is 2400 not the 1260-1400 that my 140 pound weight multiplied by 9 or 10 would be. Overall though, I thought it compiled a lot of good information in one place for people that are starting out or are looking to clear up some diet myths for themselves.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The calorie calculator definitely didn't apply to me either. I have a completely sedentary job and train five days a week and my tdee is 2400 not the 1260-1400 that my 140 pound weight multiplied by 9 or 10 would be. Overall though, I thought it compiled a lot of good information in one place for people that are starting out or are looking to clear up some diet myths for themselves.

Keep in mind, though, that he's not putting that figure forth as your TDEE - he's putting it forth as your calorie intake for a deficit to lose weight. Granted, it's still low for you with an estimated TDEE of 2400 (it would put you in a 1000 cal deficit even at the high end), but at least it's a ballpark figure for people to start with. I've seen similar numbers put out by other sources as well. Just as one example, I believe Lyle McDonald offers similar recommendations IIRC.

No way any calculator or formula can nail it for everybody - not that we're all speshul snowflakes, but people train at different intensities/different modalities, expend more/less calories through NEAT, etc. The best you can do if you're going to follow such recommendations is use them as a start point and modify from there as needed. I think they're more useful for a beginner, less useful for people who've been in the game for a while and have developed an idea of their CI/CO through real world experience.

FWIW and n=1 and all that, his numbers are pretty right on for me. I'm pretty sedentary outside of working out 3-5 times per week and the calorie range generated by my weight x 11 (male) is right about my "sweet spot" to lose around 0.5 pounds/week.

Numbers aside, the rest of the information in that article is pretty solid. Aadam (the author of physiqnomics) puts out good stuff and is usually pretty funny, he's a good follow on Facebook.