Just starting out lately and need advice please

Options
Ok so I started going to gym classes once every other day last week then this week I've been so full of energy that I've been doing one class on a morning at 9 30 Then another class on the evening around 6pm.. i am trying to lose weight and gain muscle and i know it will be a slow process. My problem is i am feelinh bloated every night now.. I've tried lemon water and I use almond milk for my porridge for breakfast... What else can I do ? Google is no help when you don't know where to look.. also I have been told that I should be having protein shakes ?? What is best and when do you take them please. Thank you on advance !!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can get protein powder at any GNC or health/nutrition store. but why did they tell you to add protein, its always best to get your protein from real foods in a well balanced diet. but you can add shakes if you want, just know you'll be adding calories and if weight loss is your goal, you might have to recalculate your macros for the shake to fit.

and bloating is just a side effect of your workouts, it comes and goes. just stay hydrated.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So you started last week, did 3-4 classes and now you're doing 2 per day? Please slow down and learn how to pace yourself over the long haul. I'd hate to see your next post be about injury or burnout.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As was already said, slow down a little. Don't want to hurt yourself.

For the bloating, what does your diet look like? For me, bloating usually comes from the foods I'm eating. Have you changed up your diet much? Or have you just reduced your portions and such?
  • sarahlou2223
    sarahlou2223 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    gdsmit1 wrote: »

For the bloating, what does your diet look like? For me, bloating usually comes from the foods I'm eating. Have you changed up your diet much? Or have you just reduced your portions and such?

I've completely changed my diet. I never used to eat breakfast or lunch and would have 1 meal a day along with about 20 coffees.. now I am having oats and or eggs for breakfast with lemon water and a coffee, salads and chicken or veg for lunch, yoghurt or fruit for snacks and then a healthy meal on an evening such as steak kebabs or chicken...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gdsmit1 wrote: »

I've completely changed my diet. I never used to eat breakfast or lunch and would have 1 meal a day along with about 20 coffees.. now I am having oats and or eggs for breakfast with lemon water and a coffee, salads and chicken or veg for lunch, yoghurt or fruit for snacks and then a healthy meal on an evening such as steak kebabs or chicken...

could just be the massive increase in fiber that your body needs to get used to.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I've read it's common to have some bloating after starting a new workout regimen. Drink lots of water and it will pass!

Your diet sounds good, if you want to do protein shakes go for it, otherwise you can just make sure to get the protein in your normal foods. I would rather have Greek yogurt or chicken than a protein drink so that's the route I take.

Nice work on getting after it at the gym! Gym classes are so much fun, and depending on which classes you are taking and how out of shape you are it may be best to consider doing one class a day for a while longer, but only you know your body... but it's better to walk on the side of caution because injury can be a real motivation ruiner!