School lunch is a joke....in need of advice

Options
monet_locc
monet_locc Posts: 11 Member
So my daughter's school is refusing me the right to send my daughter with lunch to school, now she's only in preschool but she is in the morning class which means she has breakfast options only (which include honey buns, double chocolate muffins, pan dulce, chocolate milk etc) now they do have other options like cereal and what not but i mean we lead a pretty healthy lifestyle and i mean come on on shes a kid, if she has an uninfluenced choice...of course she will pick the sweet stuff, I just don't want her getting into the habit of eating sweets everyday. I've spoken to the school and the district and they have both basically shrugged me off and recommend that I talk to the other (school refers me to district and district refers me back to School) im so frustrated and dont know what to do, i also dont want to show my daughter that it's ok to break the rules when we don't like them! Thoughts???? I feel stripped of my right to provide my child with a nutritious meal!

Replies

• malikadawi
    malikadawi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Send with her banana and apple
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Yup, feed her before she goes and tell the staff she's already eaten and to please not give her any more food. Some rules are dumb and meant to be broken, or bent at the very least.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My pre-school was a Montessori school and was only two or three times a week. If yours is the same, then that's not a big deal. I remember feeding ducks and putting their fallen feathers in my lunch box to bring back home, so I remember being packed a lunch. Maybe just pack a lunch for her anyway and see what happens.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I would be grateful she's being fed at all. Where I'm from, you don't turn down free food, especially if you won't have much to eat all for the rest of the day.
  • monet_locc
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    My pre-school was a Montessori school and was only two or three times a week. If yours is the same, then that's not a big deal. I remember feeding ducks and putting their fallen feathers in my lunch box to bring back home, so I remember being packed a lunch. Maybe just pack a lunch for her anyway and see what happens.

Yeah she goes Monday through Friday, and that's what I was thinking of doing! Thanks:)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    how do you feel about frosted strawberry pop-tarts ?

... answer carefully
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Call me crazy but I would be grateful she's being fed at all. Where I'm from, you don't turn down free food, especially if you won't have much to eat all for the rest of the day.

Where are you from?

Originally, apartments in a dirt poor part of town. Then we moved to a trailer park, still poor as all get out.

Coming from a background of severe food insecurity, it boggles my mind that anyone would complain about the contents of a free meal. It's food you don't have to buy. It's one less meal to have to feed your kid. Be happy the kid is getting a meal at all. There are many more who aren't.
  • monet_locc
    Options

Not crazy at all, I feel the same way my thing is the excessive amount of sugar in one sitting the chocolate milk alone has 27g of sugar in just 8oz so add that to chocolate muffins or a honey bun, she's so small I just feel like it's too much for her tiny body
  • monet_locc
    Options
    Yup, feed her before she goes and tell the staff she's already eaten and to please not give her any more food. Some rules are dumb and meant to be broken, or bent at the very least.

Thanks! :)
  • WanderingRivers
    edited August 2017
    Options
    monet_locc wrote: »

Not crazy at all, I feel the same way my thing is the excessive amount of sugar in one sitting the chocolate milk alone has 27g of sugar in just 8oz so add that to chocolate muffins or a honey bun, she's so small I just feel like it's too much for her tiny body

If it's that crucial, I'd find a different preschool that aligns more with your beliefs or just keep her home until kindergarten.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    Just tell the school she is allergic to citric acid, eggs, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, fish, gluten, and food additives.

Then you'll have to pack lunch.

^^^^^ GENIUS. As an added bonus, you can say that GMO's, gluten, and whatever else you can think of is against your religion!
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    how do you feel about frosted strawberry pop-tarts ?

... answer carefully

There are worse things.

Like polio.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    monet_locc wrote: »

If it's that crucial, I'd find a different preschool that aligns more with your beliefs or just keep her home until kindergarten.

Yeah, I don't feel like this is the *biggest* deal, but I wouldn't send my kid to a preschool that expected her to be able to make meal choices and then there were options like that.