Do you think I'm Losing weight too fast?

Options
Okay so I've been losing about 4 pounds a week . I eat in a caloric deficit of course . I'm set to lose 2 pounds a week and I eat healthy for the most part ... I know I'm on the right track I don't feel any side effects . But should I up my calories or should I continue to stick to what I'm doing?

Replies

• jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That depends on how heavy you are. If you have 100+ pounds to lose you might be fine for a little while, but I would plan to slow it down in the next few weeks.

If you don't have much to lose then slow down it's not a race.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Blitzia wrote: »
    How long have you been losing 4 pounds per week? If it's only been one week, don't worry about it but keep an eye on your weight loss and see if it continues at such a dramatic pace. Also, if your current weight is 400 pounds or more, don't worry about it.

But if you've been consistently losing 4 pounds per week for several weeks and you're under 400 pounds, yes, you should eat more.
    246lbs .6'1 . I've been losing 3-4 pounds a week for awhile
  • HarlemNY17
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    That depends on how heavy you are. If you have 100+ pounds to lose you might be fine for a little while, but I would plan to slow it down in the next few weeks.

246lbs and 6'1 . lol that's why I asked I didn't wanna lose too much too fast just 2lbs a week then sept I'm gonna switch to 1lb a week
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day?
  • HarlemNY17
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day?
    2000 , I never really feel hungry due to the high protein and fiber intake

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    jaymijones wrote: »

246lbs and 6'1 . lol that's why I asked I didn't wanna lose too much too fast just 2lbs a week then sept I'm gonna switch to 1lb a week

If you are losing 4 pounds when you want to lose 2 add 1000 calories a day. If your still want MFP to adjust for you set your activity level to a more active setting or log your exercise.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    OP you're on the right track. Soon the pounds will level out.
    I think the idea is you'll lose an average of 2 lbs a week.
    You're going fast now, but you'll slow down
  • HarlemNY17
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    1%-2% of weight loss per week is fine. But losing at 2% may taper off weight loss much faster and possible longer stalls.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joe4975
    joe4975 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    All other things being equal, for a given energy level below equilibrium, the rate of weight loss from conversion of stored energy will decrease with the square of the weight lost, as the new equilibrium is approached. The shape of the curve describing the rate off loss is roughly this: Y=1/X^2, for the domain X>0. The more weight you lose, the flatter the curve will become, and rapidly so. Knocking my off a few extra calories from exercise will help with your weight, but the more successful you are, the flatter your curve will become. This is normal.

You start at 4 lbs per week loss, then the rate drops toward 3, then 2, then 1, then you level off. If you are following the advice of this app, it has you consuming fewer calories than you need to maintain your goal weight. So when you finally hit goal, you add some calories back to stop the loss.

Bottom line: it starts fast and finishes slow. If you want to keep the rate of loss up, you have to decrease calories further as you lose. The app recommends you settle in at a rate of 1-2 lbs per week.