Best Food Plan to follow having just started the gym & Personal Training

Options
I have been going to the gym & seeing a PT twice a week for 6 weeks now but wanted to know the best types of foods I should be eating. I am a vegetarian and My Fitness Pal is telling me about 1450 cals per day. I go to the gym after work about 5.30pm and am looking to lose a couple of pounds and tone up. Breakfast is mainly porridge & water but I add PB Fit or protein powder with quark for extra protein but not sure if adding these extras is a good thing or just unnecessary calories?! Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Any foods work as long as they fit your goals. So if you are getting enough protein, fat,carbs you are good. Aim for delicious and fits your macros
  • Laura_buthlay
    Laura_buthlay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I have to say I find the IIFYM thing a bit confusing! It is easier for me to count calories and I do look at the protein, carbs and fat goals on my fitness pal to make sure I am staying within the recommended range
  • a5hnk
    a5hnk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try hitting a good amount of protein, atleast 120g per day. Carbs and fats fill themselves, stay within your caloric deficit everyday. You WILL see the scales go down, focus on weekly average weight, not daily fluctuations. I eat mc donalds at times after my workout, yet i am still losing weight steadily on 1800 calories. Good luck :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a5hnk wrote: »
    Try hitting a good amount of protein, atleast 120g per day. Carbs and fats fill themselves, stay within your caloric deficit everyday. You WILL see the scales go down, focus on weekly average weight, not daily fluctuations. I eat mc donalds at times after my workout, yet i am still losing weight steadily on 1800 calories. Good luck :)

how can you say that 120g is a 'good amount' when OP doesnt give their stats?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym & seeing a PT twice a week for 6 weeks now but wanted to know the best types of foods I should be eating. I am a vegetarian and My Fitness Pal is telling me about 1450 cals per day. I go to the gym after work about 5.30pm and am looking to lose a couple of pounds and tone up. Breakfast is mainly porridge & water but I add PB Fit or protein powder with quark for extra protein but not sure if adding these extras is a good thing or just unnecessary calories?! Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

if you are only trying to lose a couple of pounds set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week and eat back your exercise cals.

look at MFPs fat and protein counts as minimums.
  • Laura_buthlay
    Options

I was eating lots more Protein and then I read I should only be eating about 70g a day and was eating too much! It's so confusing as there are so many contradictory articles on it! Also I have been within or under my calorie goal every day but not lost any weight :( not sure if going to the gym means I may be putting on muscle? I haven't gained any weight which is good but frustrating to see I can't lose it
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I was eating lots more Protein and then I read I should only be eating about 70g a day and was eating too much! It's so confusing as there are so many contradictory articles on it! Also I have been within or under my calorie goal every day but not lost any weight :( not sure if going to the gym means I may be putting on muscle? I haven't gained any weight which is good but frustrating to see I can't lose it

It's hard to find agreement on here about how much protein one should be eating.

It's o.k. to go over on fats and proteins. (Not good to go under)
    It's o.k. to be under or over on carbs either way -- they do not matter as much.
    Log your calories carefully. :smile:

Regarding vegetarian protein. Your breakfast is fine unless you want fewer calories.
    Also good sources of protein: beans, lentils, chic peas, dairy, eggs, chia seeds, flax seeds,

• Laura_buthlay
    Options
    Thank you Roda Rose very helpful :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @Laura_buthlay - my rule of thumb for protein - .8-1g protein/lean muscle mass

ex - 130lb female, 30% BF = 91lbs lean muscle mass - so 90-95g protein would be good - I tend to go a bit higher (about 1.2g/lean muscle mass because I find it to be a bit more satiating)