Recommendations for cardio machines?

Options
I'm looking at purchasing a cardio machine for my home. I've got a gym membership but I've moved home recently and basically it's just not feasible for me to keep going there because it's so far away from me.

Can anyone give me any recommendations of brands or models, or what specifications I should be looking for in a machine? Because I have no idea. I also need something (reasonably) affordable.

I like ellipticals because they're less impact but treadmills are okay too, I just get sore ankles.

Thanks c:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Um... Everything lol? Lose weight/fat, be more active, get fit, gain muscle (i'll be purchasing some weights too). I want it to do jogging/running because it's a form of exercise I actually enjoy which will make me more likely to actually exercise
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,125 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What about goals like training for the local half marathon or a hike up a particular mountain or a walk across the UK ... ?

Generic goals are all right, but I've found that the specific goals are the ones that keep me motivated. Specific goals are also what determine my equipment choices.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Um... Everything lol? Lose weight/fat, be more active, get fit, gain muscle (i'll be purchasing some weights too). I want it to do jogging/running because it's a form of exercise I actually enjoy which will make me more likely to actually exercise

if you want to run save your cash and go outside...
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Personally, from a whole body workout point of view, a Concept 2 rowing machine.
    I'd recommend at least a model C, preferably a model D.

Depending where you are, there are various way to get hold of them, but there's normally quite a lot lurking online second hand. You might have to do a small amount of maintenance (oil the chain, hoover the dust out etc) but I'm sure there are bargains to be had.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Personally, from a whole body workout point of view, a Concept 2 rowing machine.
    I'd recommend at least a model C, preferably a model D.

Depending where you are, there are various way to get hold of them, but there's normally quite a lot lurking online second hand. You might have to do a small amount of maintenance (oil the chain, hoover the dust out etc) but I'm sure there are bargains to be had.

Thanks! I hadn't really considered rowing machines to be honest, but if they're good for a whole body workout it might be a good idea. I'm just trying to weigh up my best options atm but I'll have a look to see if I can find any of that model where I am :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,125 Member
    Options
    When it comes to cardio machines, with my goals in mind, I'd probably go with a rowing machine first (the Concept2 mentions above, of course) because it is a good overall workout and one which I wouldn't often get by doing something outside. I do have a canoe, but that's a bit different and we don't get out in it very often.

Then it would be a toss-up between a spin bike (not a stationary bike, a real spin bike of commercial quality) and a good quality treadmill.

I'm a cyclist and I've got bicycles and a trainer to put the bicycles on, so I don't need a spin bike, but I like them. I like them better than my bicycle on the trainer for indoor cycling. Of course, then there's the idea of getting a better trainer and using Zwift ...

As for the treadmill, yes, I can run and walk outside but sometimes the weather is really lousy and on evenings when it is dark and cold and rainy and windy, I could see myself heading for the treadmill. Currently we go to the gym on those sorts of days and use the treadmill there but it would be more convenient to have one at home. We have looked at treadmills and have discovered that there are features like user weight, user top speed, and so on which are important considerations.

So that's the direction my thinking takes me when I think about cardio machines. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    IMO, I don't think there's a significant difference from most traditional cardio machines (elipticals, treadmills and the like), so if that's what you're looking at, just go with whichever one you prefer. If you have clear running goals, then a treadmill will probably be a better fit in that regard, but they all give similar workouts, and success/progress will be based on you, not on the machine you choose.

A stationary bike is probably the lowest impact machine, if that's a concern.

I would also suggest a good rowing machine as something worth considering.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm all for doing as much outside and enjoyable cardio as possible. Machines drive me insane and most end up collecting dust. If I was forced to choose, I'd definitely make the investment for a C2 rower.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you were going to purchase just one machine my vote would also be for a C2 rower. They're not the least expensive one on the market but they are the gold standard. I use mine primarily for cross training (I'm a wannabe triathlete) and it has given me years of hassle free service (keep the rail clean & the chain lightly lubed)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I was looking at treadmills, but joined the Y instead.

One that caught my eye was the AFG Sport 5.7AT Treadmill. I liked the idea of using a tablet to set up my walk/run instead of using one of the canned programs. The unit seems to get decent reviews as well.

Can't comment on other options.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I would not buy a home/commercial elliptical or treadmill. Generally, the stride length is too short, the decks aren't wide/long enough and durability/reliability is also an issue.

I can't speak to the subject of rower or bike, but the home/commercial versions seem much better.

That being said, if I could find a lifefitness pro elliptical for under 1500 with a 90-180 day warranty, I'd probably jump at it.

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live I suggest getting outside for cardio. Keep changing the scenery it makes it feel less like working out. Get a mountain bike not one from a big brand store but from a local bike shop. Get a kayak if you are close to lakes, rivers or the ocean. Get a nice pair of running shoes and try trail running. If you want to work out at home you cant go wrong with a row machine. A good row machine like a G2 will cost you as much as a hard tail mountain bike, a basic sit in kayak and a pair of running shoes so that's the route I went with.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have and recommend the Concept 2 rower and LeMond Revmaster Pro spin bike. Arguably the best in each category that you can buy. Can't go wrong w/either one.

Considered buying a commercial treadmill and elliptical b4 but ruled them out because of their cost & size and because of maintenance and reliabity concerns.