How do I make myself eat more?

Options
I'm 18, female, 165cm, 90.5kg, and MFP tells me to eat 1410 calories a day, but I can't ever seem to eat more than 1100?
Most of the time I eat 700-1000 calories per day and feel full and I never get cravings (and when I do get them, like when I smell someone making nice food, it's easy to resist). But lately I've been sleeping very poorly, my head starts spinning when i sit up too fast and I generally have very low energy. I know I'm not eating enough but i can't eat more than this. How can I make myself eat more?
(Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my first language and it's my first time posting here)

Replies

• Eat2Brute
    Eat2Brute Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue most days, though my numbers are about double yours. I try to focus on high-calorie foods when I actually do eat. That way even though I don't eat often, when I do I'm getting the most 'bang for my buck.' Good luck and congrats on your first post!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fat is the easiest way to up calories without adding a lot more volume. Nuts, nut butter, avocado, cook with butter or oil, etc.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have this problem. What works for me is to pre plan my meals and snacks. And, simply march/munch my way thru. Spreading the intake out over 5 meals and a couple snacks. If you are tracking this stuff you'll see where your getting your good caloric intake and when.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I mean, a pint of Ben & jerry's phish food is like 1200 calories. Have a serving.
  • CriQue312
    CriQue312 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dairy and nuts are easy ways to add calories. A little cream in coffee, butter on toast or veggies, cheese on everything... lots and lots of cheese.

Honestly though I wish I had your problem, said amused only in good spirits and not begrudgingly.
  • CriQue312
    CriQue312 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body just doesn't want more? Are you really tall at 90.5 kg (curious only)?

Maybe talk to your doctor about your thyroid or blood sugar or something?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Same. I'm not hungry and I forget to eat. I go through this often and it's not good. I have a protein shake with me and drink that, but that only gets me to just over 1000 if that. It's a mental thing for me. I'm simply not interested in food or eating. Are you stressed? Feel like you have no control over your life? Are you or could you be depressed? The answer is yes for me. And I swing from overeating to under eating. I just shifted about a month ago. Before that I was eating giant subs with full bags of chips everyday for dinner and lunch and getting take out for two, but just for me. I'd go to the store And get tasty cakes for a snack and eat the whole box. And bread..I could eat a whole loaf in a day. I even ate things I don't like, like rice and pasta just because.

Now I'm not interested. I force myself to eat and cook breakfast and my roommate makes dinner or I make the same quick and easy thing every day. I think I only do that because I know I have to eat something.

Last time I was like this I landed in the er.. My speech was slurred and I couldn't walk or see straight. My blood pressure was all over the place. It was scary.

I wish it was as easy as "just eat". I don't have an eating disorder. It just a symptom of my other issues. It took me months to eat properly after that, but I did it.

Anyway. Try taking a spoon to a bunch of peanut butter. One spoon full is 200 calories give or take. I buy the sugar free kind and add a squirt of honey when I do this. Our like someone else said, add an avocado to whatever you're eating, that'll get you 100-150 depending how big. Or add some toast to breakfast. Like a nice hearty thick slice, with some butter or avocado or pb.

I struggle too. And I need to add more food to my day too. But it's so hard to eat when you're not hungry. I get that.just keep trying. And if you answered yes to any of my questions above, call a therapist. They help.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    primrina wrote: »
    I'm 18, female, 165cm, 90.5kg, and MFP tells me to eat 1410 calories a day, but I can't ever seem to eat more than 1100?
    Most of the time I eat 700-1000 calories per day and feel full and I never get cravings (and when I do get them, like when I smell someone making nice food, it's easy to resist). But lately I've been sleeping very poorly, my head starts spinning when i sit up too fast and I generally have very low energy. I know I'm not eating enough but i can't eat more than this. How can I make myself eat more?
    (Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my first language and it's my first time posting here)

I would get a food scale as well to make sure once you're eating calorie dense foods that you're not overeating & then eliminating your calorie deficit.

You also don't want to eliminate all of the foods you ate before you started out, because that will only lead to you being miserable & then having a monster binge that could set your progress back or make you completely fall off the weight loss journey.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to eat more. It is miserable to lose weight by fighting your body. Make peace with your needs and feed yourself good and tasty things.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Throw some protein powder in most of your meals, that'll bump up your intake
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Allow yourself to eat more. It is miserable to lose weight by fighting your body. Make peace with your needs and feed yourself good and tasty things.

This is really, truly sensible advice
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to eat that 1400 calories in Lettuce, its not that hard. Get a food scale, log your daily intake. You'll be surprised. Check calorie dense foods higher in healthy fats.

I am around 3000+ cal/day these days, and just 1000 of it is my snack PB&J sandwich and milk.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sneak peanut butter ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, why do people feel the need to "resist nice food" on a diet? Is it impossible to diet while eating nice food? Without nice food I wouldn't have lasted this long.