Totally off-topic!! At home hair color :)

Options
2»

Replies

• Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Yep. My greys come in super fast so I touch up my color every 4-5 weeks at home. I use that John Frieda foaming kind, it never leaves weird lines or streaks from touching up the roots. I can't afford to go to the salon once a month. But I always get compliments on my color.
  • allamuchyprof
    allamuchyprof Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input.....I guess I am a little anxious to do it myself -- I will continue with the stylist and just work a few more hours lol :)
    Thank you again :)
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Coloring your hair at home is fine. I use Adore by Creative Image myself. I would never bleach my hair at home though. Too much risk in destroying my hair and losing it all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Lol, I use Just For Men every 4-6 weeks. Hardly any grays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Loreal is good

If you have a Sally's they sell premium hair color like the professionals use
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I stopped visiting salons and have been doing all my own hair changes for the past 2 years.

For dying or highlighting (I don't do a full head of bleach, although sometimes I'll run some left over bleach through my hair while doing highlights and leave on a few minutes to add some "brightness"), I use drugstore kits made for this purpose (the formula is thicker so doesn't drip all over)

It's important to use good hair treatments to keep hair in good condition. I recommend Sexy Hair brand. It's really great and goes on sale sometimes at Ulta. :)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairstylist and work in a salon BUT I can't stand sitting for very long having my hair done so I use the el cheapo dark brown Revlon Color silk with a toothbrush on my temples,I recently did some highlights at home pulling it through a cap but I think I'm gonna spend $2.99 for some Revlon and brush in some lowlights
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a weirdo in that I have naturally mousy/ashy darker brown hair but I like that color and don't want it highlighted or lighter/darker, really. Garnier Fructis in "cool tea" is my favorite at-home haircolor for this result that practically no one else even wants :blush: I find that 99% of at-home color makes my hair look jet black or fills it with super reddish tones.

Years ago I used those highlighting kits that had the plastic cap you pulled little hairs through to go lighter...it worked way better than I would have expected. I think it was called La Petite Frost. They probably quit making it like 15+ yrs ago.

I really think if I wanted to change my color now rather than just cover grey, I would go to a professional.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A few days ago, I walked into a salon to get an up-front estimate for a single colour hair dye (with pre-bleach) and no highlights.

They quoted me $45.00 and up. $90 is the average and with only a few highlights.
    They said they knew people, with long hair, who pay $200 for a (single visit) hair dye.

I thanked them for the info and left. It has been years since I've seen a salon and thank goodness. I think salons have seriously over-priced themselves. Many hair/nail salons in my area have closed. The salon I walked into recently had zero customers in chairs or in waiting.

I cut/trim my own hair and dye it for $10. It looks and feels fine to me and that's what matters most imho.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Sivadee00 wrote: »
    A few days ago, I walked into a salon to get an up-front estimate for a single colour hair dye (with pre-bleach) and no highlights.

They quoted me $45.00 and up. $90 is the average and with only a few highlights.
    They said they knew people, with long hair, who pay $200 for a (single visit) hair dye.

I thanked them for the info and left. It has been years since I've seen a salon and thank goodness. I think salons have seriously over-priced themselves. Many hair/nail salons in my area have closed. The salon I walked into recently had zero customers in chairs or in waiting.

I cut/trim my own hair and dye it for $10. It looks and feels fine to me and that's what matters most imho.

I understand the sticker shock, for sure. I usually do my own too. In my pic my hair's all slicked back from hiking, but in actuality it's a bob right now with some layering, and I did my own various short or pixie cuts for years with many compliments.

Another odd thing seems to be how crazily the prices vary from salon to salon. I have two friends who both go to very middle of the road type salons. Same type of décor, location, and in the same city. Friend A has shoulder length hair and gets various blonde tones and highlights and her hair just LOOKS expensive and perfect...she says she pays about $65 for her cut/color. Friend B has longer (slightly past shoulder length) auburn hair and it just looks "normal" to me and the color seriously looks like box color to me (not bad, just that medium-dark reddish brown all companies offer) but she pays well over $100 for each salon visit.

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I went from this:

9zwvm7pxrn06.jpeg

To this:

y6g9sswkng75.jpg

And back to this:
    eqhjf5manjyt.jpg

All of this happened in less than a year, and I would highly suggest not doing this at home, but also expect the process to cost the price of a small used car. (Wish I would have thought of that before I dared to be different).

Root touch ups on the other hand....easy peasy at home....and I buy whatever box I see that is close to my hair color.
  • 1Wildthang
    1Wildthang Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Oh my......... I'm a hair stylist and of the things I'm reading on here are very scary. You should never use box color. No matter if you are trying to lighten deposit color, the developer is normally too high of a volume for the hair shaft to handle. It is very drying and can't really shrivel the ends of your hair. There are tricks for coloring whether you are just depositing color, lightning, or trying to cover grey. There are ways of not making the hair a brassy tone. You should always go to professional. There are so many things that can go wrong at home. And also when you're trying to color from a box, the color probably ever turns out evenly all over the head. Especially if the hair is to the shoulder or longer. I receive messages in the middle night from people that have color their hair at home. They are trying to schedule emergency hair colors. I fit them in when I can but I can't guarantee when they message on a Sunday in the Middle night that I can get them in on a Monday. Sometimes those appointment times start at 7 PM. :#
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1Wildthang wrote: »
    Oh my......... I'm a hair stylist and of the things I'm reading on here are very scary. You should never use box color. No matter if you are trying to lighten deposit color, the developer is normally too high of a volume for the hair shaft to handle. It is very drying and can't really shrivel the ends of your hair. There are tricks for coloring whether you are just depositing color, lightning, or trying to cover grey. There are ways of not making the hair a brassy tone. You should always go to professional. There are so many things that can go wrong at home. And also when you're trying to color from a box, the color probably ever turns out evenly all over the head. Especially if the hair is to the shoulder or longer. I receive messages in the middle night from people that have color their hair at home. They are trying to schedule emergency hair colors. I fit them in when I can but I can't guarantee when they message on a Sunday in the Middle night that I can get them in on a Monday. Sometimes those appointment times start at 7 PM. :#

Totally agree with you on this! I tried to change my color at home once and ended up with Pink hair. I had to wait 2 days to get in and ended up with a pixie! Poor stylists.....
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    1Wildthang wrote: »

Thats why I use that foam hair color, it's always even. As fast as my greys come in, there's absolutely no way I can afford to get it colored professionally every 4 weeks. Not on a tight single mom's budget. Funny though, I'm constantly told how beautiful my hair is..... :wink:
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Always colour my hair with Nice n Easy. Went from mid brown to blonde but it took several dye jobs over several months slowly getting blonder. My hair is also naturally curly, so to prevent it from getting dried out, I only wash it twice a week, I just use conditioner to clean it between washing. I used to go to a salon to get it done, but it didn't look any different to when it do it myself. $70 as opposed to $6? I would never attempt to do highlights myself, but straight colour is easy. I have found that tones vary hugely from brand to brand and it's not always the expensive ones that work well on my hair.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I go to a hair stylist and spend too much to color and highlight my hair.
    Anyone here say goodbye to the stylist and color their own hair at home?
    Favorite brand? Happy with the result?

Thank you in advance :)

I always do my own hair at home or my daughter does it for me and vice versa, never had a mishap yet.my daughter and I both have had crazy colors too. as my profile pic shows