What are the main reason behind your failed diet attempts?

Personally for me it has mainly been a lack of will power combined with the lack of visible results. When I see no physical changes it makes me question the entire process and I end up quitting and feeling sorry for myself. I also find that once I begin eating bad foods it then spirals out of control and I continue to push the limits and then I realise that my diet has completely messed up and as a result I give up. I then end up eating whatever I like without thinking about the consequences for a few weeks until I come to my senses and the cycle repeats itself. Currently for the first time ever I am successfully dieting and have lost around 12 pounds in the past 3 months which is crazy. I have a long way to go with a further 14 pounds to go to slip into a healthy weight ratio but 25 pounds away from reaching my target weight. Unfortunately I do not see the physical changes even after 12 pounds of weight loss but I know I just need to stick at it no matter what. What are everyone elses experiences like when it comes to failure with diets and your successes

Replies

• HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Sometimes you don't see or notice it . Other ppl will though. As far as me I use to eat kinda bad while in a deficit which leds to up and down scale movements. But I've gotten it all the way together because I have to make this change for ME and I understand that only ME will be able to accomplish this goal . I definitely wish you luck losing weight isn't a easy thing at all just stay committed and believe in yourself.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Laziness.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    That's the mantra that works for me. I mean no disrespect to anyone.
    I gained weight after bending my left knee 75 degrees backwards and spending nearly 2 years between a full leg cast, surgeries and therapy before I could put some weight on it again.
    Took 3 before i was confident in movements again.

Before embarking on a 'diet', i had to learn to eat for nutrition.
    Nutrition keeps the organs working while you put the system through a caloric deficiency.
    3,500 calories = 1lbs of fat.
    Work it in your math and cut calories as needed to achieve your goal.

Don't track weight. Track measurements, particularly your waistline. (I chose a t-shirt from before the injury and been working to fit on it)
    Improve your flexibility. This may sound weird, but being able to touch your toes without bending your knees prevents a ton of back injuries.

The main reason a diet fails, is because you're making a change that is impossible to keep for life.
    That's a choice that anyone who's truly interested is losing weight needs to make.
    High carb, low carb, paleo, atkins, 1000kcal, 1500kcal... Those are all quick fixes, which can be quite handy to achieve a specific short term goal, but can't be sustained, especially, if you're cutting food groups to achieve your goal.

Hope this helps.

• newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    tlpina82 wrote: »

The main reason a diet fails, is because you're making a change that is impossible to keep for life.
    That's a choice that anyone who's truly interested is losing weight needs to make.
    High carb, low carb, paleo, atkins, 1000kcal, 1500kcal... Those are all quick fixes, which can be quite handy to achieve a specific short term goal, but can't be sustained, especially, if you're cutting food groups to achieve your goal.

This. I tried WW, SW, low carb and other "book" eating plans/diets - couldn't stick beyond a few weeks as it wasn't a good fit/too restrictive/complicated etc. even if it worked short term. Never managed more than 10-15 lbs which went back on within a few months. I've been logging daily on mfp for 72 days, have lost 22 lbs and am eating normal food for me that fits with my life - my current diet is completely sustainable long term (I only have another 10 lbs to go) and the logging is so easy it really isn't a burden. I'm eating at a level that means loss will be slower long term but I don't feel hungry - the first 10 days I set my mfp calorie level to 0.5 lb per week so hunger wasn't an issue and once my body adapted I increased to 1lb per week (have lost more due to not eating exercise calories)

I am tracking weight though - plotting daily so I can see that the normal fluctuations are normal and part of an overall downward trend. On paper there were 10 days when I lost no weight but on the graph you can see that the weight on day 1 of those 10 was at the bottom of the range for that period whereas the day 10 weight was at the top of the range for that period.