Need friends and advice

Options
I'm looking to shed the beer belly before I tone up the abs but I'm struggling to lose the weight, can undereating have the opposite effect??

Replies

• yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello there, if undereating means you eat below your maintenance calories (i.e. the calories your body spends throughout the day) then no, it shouldn't backfire unless you overdo it (meaning you eat below 1000 calories per day).
    I'd recommend you take it slowly at first, and gradually decrease your caloric intake as it suits your needs. If you can put in some exercise that would make things better ofc.
    Good luck! :smile:
  • drewrooney
    drewrooney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank for the advice, I use the treadmill for 30 mins 4 times a week and it's usually at night just before bed, I have been close to the limit of 1000 calories a day, but I've heard your body can go into starvation mode and start storing fat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    drewrooney wrote: »
    Thank for the advice, I use the treadmill for 30 mins 4 times a week and it's usually at night just before bed, I have been close to the limit of 1000 calories a day, but I've heard your body can go into starvation mode and start storing fat

you're only eating 1000 cals? :huh:
  • drewrooney
    drewrooney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Only a couple of times I was at 1200 but usually I'm about 16-1800
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    drewrooney wrote: »
    Only a couple of times I was at 1200 but usually I'm about 16-1800

are you weighing your food with scales?
  • Mschmitt1119
    Mschmitt1119 Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What is the calorie goal they gave you on here. Normally for me to be ful throughout the day I can manage 15-1700 a day. And while starvation mode is a popular thing if you are eating less than your maintenance you aren't going to gain weight but your metabolism will drop and you will lose muscle as well as fat. So if you want a gradual loss aim for a 500-1000 deficit unless you are eating until your full and still eating less than that.
  • Mschmitt1119
    Mschmitt1119 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    By popular I mean everyone's heard of it but doesn't really understand how it works
  • Alpha1Godess
    Alpha1Godess Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories. You've got to consume in order to burn. Find what safely works for you. Best of luck.