I'm tired of eating the same old things!

Options
Macknbee
Macknbee Posts: 22 Member
So, I took to this eating healthy thing really well, but I have been having a hard time adding varriety to what I eat. I eat lots of salads, scrambled eggs, chicken, fish, veggies and fruits, but I am having a hard time adding anything else. It was easier just eating whatever because I didn't have to get creative! Now I just can't figure out what to cook that will excite me... Does anyone have any suggestions of how to add something new that's yummy and healthy... I'm just out of ideas!!

Cheers,
Heather

Replies

• crystalmichelle82
    Options
    drink Shakeology, it's so freaking tasty and it has tons of recipes. yummy in my tummy
  • pffssas
    pffssas Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    theres a book from preventions called "Fit and fast meals" by Linda Gassenheimer (she's the best selling author of the book low-carb meals in minutes)...got it from the library tonite because i was sick of THE SAME FOODS!!! looking through it now, has over 175 recipes. check it out!!!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. The only things that have helped a little are changing up the spices that I use on the foods I eat. I'm getting tired of that as well, though.
  • fine4now
    fine4now Posts: 84
    Options
    You have to figure out a way to cook the foods you like but make them healthy. I love pizza so I started making my own. I take a low carb wheat tortilla (81 cal) 2 tbsp pizza sauce Turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, olives, and 1/4 cup mozzerella. bake about 12 minutes til cheese is bubbly. Ir is delicious and only about 300 cals for the whole thing.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    theres a book from preventions called "Fit and fast meals" by Linda Gassenheimer (she's the best selling author of the book low-carb meals in minutes)...got it from the library tonite because i was sick of THE SAME FOODS!!! looking through it now, has over 175 recipes. check it out!!!

this sounds like a great book
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Start 'googling' healthy recipes, see what is available for different ways to use what you already eat. I find some great recipes by 'surfing' the computer that are healthy and don't need a lot of different foods - just what you have at home. Good luck!
  • My600PdLife
    My600PdLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the same foods since starting again. It's working for me and I'm not tired of it yet, but I am looking for new recipes before I get bored with it. Good Luck.
  • daad13
    daad13 Posts: 68
    Options
    Try using www.allrecipes.com
    It has some great recipes (and usually has nutritional facts about them too) There's an entire section on low carb, low fat or just healthy meals.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    WWW.skinnytaste.com has some amazing recipes too
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I echo the allrecipes.com suggestion. Sign up and you get an email every day with recipe(s). It is free, though a popup comes up for a subscription.
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    the best healthy cookbook i've found is joy bauer's slim and scrumptious. i made spaghetti and meatballs tonight and it was less than 500 cals a serving and soooo freaking good!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Use herbs in your meals. I frequently use dill, basil, and sage because I'm growing them. I try to find good pairings. Sage and coconut go well together. Sage and lime. Basil and garlic. You can look up flavor pairings on Google.

Also, try to cook things from outside of your culture. Regardless of how "authentic" it is, you might find that you simply like the way you've cooked it. I do a nice Jamaican curry stir fry. Sometimes I toss shrimp or fish in there. Either way, it's flavorful, and uses up a lot of things at once.

Good luck.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    TRYYY Chicken and spinach enchiladas!!

Get a fresh bag of spinach, wash it, then cook it till its nice and well...soft! add a can of refried (fat free) beans to a bowl and mash it up, add the spinach.

take skineless boneless chicken breasts, cut into thinner strips, and cook them in a pan with cumin and chili powder.

Take whole wheat tortillas (6 inch or 8 inch depending on how big you want them) and fill with the bean and spinach mixture, then a few pieces of chicken. Top with any cheese you wish (mexican 5 cheese is good, try to get part skim or fat free if you can find it) and then roll the enchilada up and place seal side down in a pam coated baking dish! repeat until the pan is filled or the filling is gone. sprinkle with more cheese and then top with a can of enchilada sauce (or make your own, not that hard, purred tomatoes, cumin and chili powder is all it takes)

cover with tin foil and pop in the oven at 350 for about 30 - 45 minutes, it should smell yummy, it tastes delicious and its low calorie!

if you dont want to use refried beans, use black beans instead, just cook them with the spinach :)

I got this from a diabetic cook book and I pretty much have everything memorized XD sorry if its hard to follow :)
  • Flyingelvis80
    Options
    My favorite is Taco Soup, it's very satisfying and feels unhealthy, but everything in it is great for you and low calorie and no carbs (unless you add corn). I am vegetarian, but even if you aren't using the boca crumbles instead of ground beef is healthier lower calorie and it actually taste better. It's always my go to if I'm looking for something quick, easy, and guilt-free. There are a lot of recipes out there so find one that interest you. I do 1 can of dark red beans, 1 can light red beans, 1 can black beans, 1 pkg of boca crumbles, 1 pkg taco seasoning, 1 can rotel (mild), 1 can corn, 1 onion diced, about 2 cups water if you drain the beans and just simmer on the stove, or throw it in a crock pot and let it go for an afternoon. If you use the boca crumbles there's no need to brown and drain first, just throw them in with everything else. Good Luck!
  • Flyingelvis80
    Options
    Yum, I'm gonna have to give those a try too! (Marla's Chicken Spinach Enchiladas)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It's so easy - you generally KNOW what's healthy and what's not... and what to do portion wise, so just have an experiment. I don't believe in set 'rules' and just experiment by myself... if you're having scrambled eggs great - throw some smoked salmon and dill in them and voila! New taste :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Spices can make all the difference. Try marinading meat and vegetables.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yum, I'm gonna have to give those a try too! (Marla's Chicken Spinach Enchiladas)

Haha, theyre really good :) and they fill you up too! good luck on making them!
  • Macknbee
    Macknbee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm definately going to take the time to look in to a lot of your suggestions!! Thanks guys!