Most miles walked in a day?

Options

Replies

• Loumossmfp78
    Loumossmfp78 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @BabyBear76 oh no please tell me you wasnt on your own, sounds like some kind of film! Sounds like a adventure and half!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    36...walk/run. My friend wants to do a 50 miler...I'm good with 36.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @jenilla1 thats shocking you wouldnt think that you would have to second guess a map! Just shows you being prepared doesnt always work! Bet it was something like bear gyrills survival, its not juat about the dark which im scared of my own shadow but water as well!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo 17 miles is great! i couldnt even walk 3 miles when i first started doing it, i seem to get bored around the 18 miles msrk, ill keep you updated
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @paulwatts747 your doing well your almost at your 30.000 steps wish you luck with it! 18.52 was 45.000 steps!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @girlinahat oh no least you had your gps watch to help you find your way back and company which always helps! Dont want to jinx myself but maybe i should get lost around the 18th mile and by time i fnd my way im on 26 miles!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    According to my Fitbit, average around 18km a day. Purposeful walk? Around 10km.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad ive never thought of doing a charity walk, maybe id have more of a incentive and it would push me more, how long did it take you?

about 10 hours i think, with breaks. we walked along the leeds liverpool canal from Leeds to Skipton
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades i think walking 15 miles is an achievement never mind having a heavy pack!

You might think less of me if you knew my motivation. Wasn't allowed to sleep anywhere along the way, so there really wasn't a choice.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @jenilla1 this is why even if I have a route planned by someone else (internet or book of walks) I will ALWAYS take an OS map and replot the route on the map so I can check notable features etc. The OS map is also to scale with grid lines so a quick thumb count will confirm distances.

Having said all of that, I recently did a walk with my sister as an out and back of about 6 miles. After my GPS watch said we’d already walked five miles and hadn’t yet turned around we figured we’d very much missed the turnaround point. Given that it was a radio mast I don’t know how we’d not seen it (too much chatting!!) so our 6 mile walk became 11 miles!! But at least with the OS map we were able to see exactly where we were and where we’d gone wrong. The ice cream at the end tasted all the better….

@girlinahat it's only when you leave the UK, you realise just how bloody fantastic OS maps are. I've still got all of mine from various hiking holiday in Scotland, Wales, Peak District, Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Yorkshire Moors etc etc. Can't quite bring myself to chuck them out.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    14 miles - my mate lives in the Peak District (England) and she kept saying, 'just one more corner' and 'just one more hill'. We walked for around 6 hours as I was a lot less fit than I am now and had to stop at a cafe for an ice cream float! :)

more recently went to Paris and averaged 14 miles a day for 4 days. That was fun! Saw A LOT.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @rybo omg 36 are you messing thats amazing! Im so jealous, maybe thats were im going wrong i need do it with a friend! Why the jump up from 36 to 50 tho??
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    @rybo omg 36 are you messing thats amazing! Im so jealous, maybe thats were im going wrong i need do it with a friend! Why the jump up from 36 to 50 tho??

Most ultra distance trail races are 50km (31miles) or 50 miles. Sometimes you will get an oddball number like 27 or 36 miles (the 2 distances I'm doing this summer) but they are not as common
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Something like 17 miles. We were at Disney in Florida. I personally can't stand walking unless used as a form of transportation.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal wow 50 miles weather its running or walking is amazing, you must have some stamina! Least i know my 26 miles is possible!

The LDWA do a number of marathons and ultras, so it's fairly really achievable. I won't say easy.

I'm doing a marathon in about six weeks where walkers start an hour earlier than runners.

I quite enjoy the 50K distance now, but as Rybo mentions the 50mile distance is a different proposition. 50K is just a long marathon.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    About 27 miles. With a pack. Above 6000'. In July. In snow.

5902029627_8977a34c79_b.jpg
    5902592244_e43c74480e_b.jpg
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo 17 miles is great! i couldnt even walk 3 miles when i first started doing it, i seem to get bored around the 18 miles msrk, ill keep you updated

Oh man I get bored around mile 13!!! Do you listen to books on tape or anything?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    About 17 or 18, hiking with about 20lb daypack. Hardest day was 10 miles but reached an altitude of 19,000 ft / 5900 m above sea level. Every mile feels like at least three with the lack of oxygen.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @TavistockToad ive never thought of doing a charity walk, maybe id have more of a incentive and it would push me more, how long did it take you?

about 10 hours i think, with breaks. we walked along the leeds liverpool canal from Leeds to Skipton

I think 10 hours is really good going esp with breaks, i bet the atmosphere was amazing
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    14 miles - my mate lives in the Peak District (England) and she kept saying, 'just one more corner' and 'just one more hill'. We walked for around 6 hours as I was a lot less fit than I am now and had to stop at a cafe for an ice cream float! :)

more recently went to Paris and averaged 14 miles a day for 4 days. That was fun! Saw A LOT.

I visited the peak district not so long ago going a theme park! Its a amazing scenic place no wonder your friend wanted go on,.id be the same! Icecream float is that cream soda eith a scoop of icecrean not heard of that for a while!