Similar Workouts to Farmer Walk/Carry

Options
Hello MFP fitness freaks!

I was just curious if anyone had any workouts in a similar vein as the farmer walk/carry?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Any reason you can't do the real thing?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't have space to walk, you can March in place
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Farmer's carry is one of my favorite exercises and I recommend it to anyone who wants to get started in lifting but doesn't know where to start. I do some overhead farmers carry to mix it up sometimes.

Here's an article about variations, if that's what you're asking about.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-loaded-carries
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I use my heavy bag. I carry it like a barrel in front of me and on my shoulders as well. I also made a wall-ball with and old basketball and play sand that I will use too.
  • beardybuddha
    beardybuddha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I should've been more specific/clear: I currently do the farmer walk/carry and the variations. It's my favorite workout, honestly. I worked in a manual labor job for 9 years and most lifting workouts it just feels like I'm shuffling weight around (I lifted extensively for football for 5 years, so it's a bit boring). So I'm looking for workouts that somewhat simulate manual labor, such as the farmer walk.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I do better with these types of workouts.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    You are always welcome to come by my house and shift dirt and gravel around in my wheelbarrow. I think it is a similar exercise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are always welcome to come by my house and shift dirt and gravel around in my wheelbarrow. I think it is a similar exercise.

I was actually thinking about a wheelbarrow. I just read a Dan John article the other day where he said that his first "prowler" was a wheelbarrow full of concrete.

OP, you might look up Dan John. He is a strength coach and loaded carries are common (a constant) in his workouts.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I should've been more specific/clear: I currently do the farmer walk/carry and the variations. It's my favorite workout, honestly. I worked in a manual labor job for 9 years and most lifting workouts it just feels like I'm shuffling weight around (I lifted extensively for football for 5 years, so it's a bit boring). So I'm looking for workouts that somewhat simulate manual labor, such as the farmer walk.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I do better with these types of workouts.

In that case, it sounds like StrongMan style training (yoke/farmer's carries, circus dumbbells, Atlas stones, etc) might be what you're looking for. As such, it might be an idea to look for SM gyms/trainers in your area.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Thinking the same thing. I do know what the bulk of my September exercise routine is going to be anyway. Oh, plus the shoveling it out of the trailer at the dump.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You are free to come and buck hay at my farm. There are a ton of videos on making your own Atlas stones and such on Youtube. I made my wall balls with basketballs and play sand for under $10.00. I got HUGE tractor tires from the local shop for free. I have a 250 pound and 400 pound tire that I flip over, use for box jumps and I have a 20 pound sledge hammer I use on them too. Get creative man and don't buy expensive stuff just make it yourself. My buddy made his own concrete atlas stones that are pretty sweet as well.