Man boobs

Options
I have a problem ever since my accident and the ensuing back surgery to fix everything the steroids I was on and the rapid weight gain caused man boobs. What chest exercises can I do with out causing strain on my back? I'm walk/ running about 6 miles a day but haven't done any type of weight lifting since before the accident. Doc says I can do lite weights now

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Butterflies?

Man boobs are just a body fat percentage thing though.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Try some resistance bands and really light weight so you can focus on using your chest and not putting to much strain on your back. You can do flies and presses to start. Try to work you way back to pushups and then add resistance to the pushup. Go slow so you don't hurt yourself.
  • coxwill45
    coxwill45 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try some resistance bands and really light weight so you can focus on using your chest and not putting to much strain on your back. You can do flies and presses to start. Try to work you way back to pushups and then add resistance to the pushup. Go slow so you don't hurt yourself.

I'm doing modified inclined push-ups now and it's helping some. I'll have to look into getting the bands.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    coxwill45 wrote: »

I'm doing modified inclined push-ups now and it's helping some. I'll have to look into getting the bands.

That's a great place to start. Try adding some push holds as well. At the top of your pushup unlock your elbows and hold for 30 seconds. Then drop to the bottom of your pushup and hold your body as close to the floor as you can without touching and hold for 30 seconds then back up. After about 2 minutes you will feel like you did 100 pushups. Just keep doing it until you cant hold you body anymore. Rest then do it again. Another one is try to count to 5 on your way down so you are slowly controlling the decent of the pushup and then explode back to the top as quickly as you can. The slow negative going down will really put a burn on your chest.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The first step is to make sure you're actually eating fewer calories than you expend (your food diary is closed) as you want to lose fat. Exercise may build a great set of muscles but as long as you have too much body fat you will probably still have a set of moobs (even when you start losing fat you never know where it's going to come off first so be patient)

Given that you've had back surgery and, form the sounds of it still have to be pretty careful, it may be worthwhile spending a session or two with a physiotherapist or sports therapist familiar with your situation to devise an exercise plan. You'll get lots of well intentioned advice here but we don't know all of your particulars.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will lose the man boobs (unless you actually have gyno but it doesn't sound like). Doing chest exercises just builds the muscles which can actually give the appearance of larger man boobs.
  • coxwill45
    coxwill45 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is between 12-1500 I do a six mile walk about 12:30 a mile,
    Then stretching and push ups to finish off my morning. I've dropped 33 lbs so far.
    Doc says I'm good to go on most exercises just no heavy lifting,bending or squats with weights.
  • CarlsbergLewis
    CarlsbergLewis Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sorry to break it to you mate but NO exercise is going to help... Either lower your BF drastically or learn to live with it
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Gotta lower your body fat, and, depending on how far you're stretched, you may need to get bigger (muscles).
    Shoulders, back and chest to stretch things out.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Also chances are they gave you cortisone not fun steroid that will run you the chance of developing gynecomastia. You can check and see if it is actually is if you are concerned.