underarm chafing?!

Options
i get painful underarm chafing when my activity on the treadmill (running/walking) exceeds an hour for consecutive days. i've tried powder, i've tried slapping on an obscene amount of lotion, i've even resorted to trying to look more like a chicken but nothing works and i end up with painful chafes almost daily. any tried and true methods pleaaassseeee?

Replies

• drewrooney
    drewrooney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think vasaline is ment to be good, runners use it to stop chaffing on certain sensitive areas
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I second the bodyglide. I use it when I run and it has really worked for me
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    fankksss how many hour-long runs does a normal 1.5oz stick last cos i'm looking on amazon and at that price it's gonna break my bank to get skinny
  • brockhampton
    Options
    i guess on the upside, i won't be able to afford food so buying bodyglides will double-help me drop those lbs
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I find Aquaphor or it's knock offs works better for me than Body Glide. You can get a big tub of the store brand at Walmart. I think it's about $10.
  • secure_fitpal
    secure_fitpal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Body glide lasts awhile for me.
    I am a large guy and I have a lot of surface area to cover.
    Never tried Vaseline but I have heard a lot of good things about.
  • brockhampton
    Options
    i've tried vaseline and i just sort of sweat it all off within the first 10 min so that's a no go

i don't live in the states but i'll try to find aquaphor on amazon thanks!
  • mckeesandra
    mckeesandra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    100 % shea should work if not mix with coconut oil
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This might not be a great workaround but have you tried wearing a shirt with (short) sleeves? Most of the moisture wicking fabrics nowadays are made to be low friction.
  • FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In the US there is a brand called Gold Bond that may be elsewhere too. They also makes an anti-friction stick and used to be a lot cheaper than the body glide brand. Also note the body glide brand has one 'for women' that is a LOT more money but is the same product so don't shop by gender. Years ago Band-Aid brand had an anti friction too, I don't know if they do. I had a teeny stick that I used for my feet when I was traveling and walking a ton with work shoes on and they'd rub on the inside of my shoes.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I also recommend a short sleeve wicking fabric shirt. If you have a Ross or Marshall's or something nearby you can get one for like $8.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »
    i get painful underarm chafing when my activity on the treadmill (running/walking) exceeds an hour for consecutive days. i've tried powder, i've tried slapping on an obscene amount of lotion, i've even resorted to trying to look more like a chicken but nothing works and i end up with painful chafes almost daily. any tried and true methods pleaaassseeee?

Monastat Anti-Chafing gel. Available at drugstores and places like Walmart. It works really well and holds up to sweat.

ETA: just saw that you are not in the US. Google it and see if your local pharmacy carries it.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I get that if I wear tank tops on longer runs. Tops with short sleeves, I'm fine.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You can try antiperspirant if you're on a budget. Just get the unscented variety if you don't want to smell like flowers. ;) It won't last as long as Bodyglide but you may not need it to.

My 1.5 ounce stick of BG lasts me about 6 months, but I only use it for long runs that are going to be more than an hour. As a guy, after you've experienced bloody nipple chaffing you don't mind paying a bit for something to prevent it. lol.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Body glide or better shirts or bras.
  • JMLSZ
    JMLSZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the US either, and I've been looking for something, too - do you have Decathlon sports stores in your country? They have a n anti-friction cream that I am planning to try out - https://www.aptonia.co.uk/anti-rubbing-cream-100-ml-id_8335449
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I found that with spray and roll on deodorant, and solved it with solid stick deodorant (like Lady SpeedStick) - which is also great for chub rub BTW.
  • brockhampton
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    This might not be a great workaround but have you tried wearing a shirt with (short) sleeves? Most of the moisture wicking fabrics nowadays are made to be low friction.
    I also recommend a short sleeve wicking fabric shirt. If you have a Ross or Marshall's or something nearby you can get one for like $8.
    I get that if I wear tank tops on longer runs. Tops with short sleeves, I'm fine.

my only workout top is a nike running drifit tank top (isn't that funny) due to the weather (30c/86f everyday with 90+% humidity) but that might really be the issue here. will get a new short-sleeved shirt and update!
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    You can try antiperspirant if you're on a budget. Just get the unscented variety if you don't want to smell like flowers. ;) It won't last as long as Bodyglide but you may not need it to.
    I found that with spray and roll on deodorant, and solved it with solid stick deodorant (like Lady SpeedStick) - which is also great for chub rub BTW.

i don't usually use deodorant but will give this a try too! and who doesn't want to smell like flowers psh

thank you everyone for the help! will try all your recs one by one (except bodyglide unless i really have to cos i honestly refuse to drop 15usd on it cos that's how much it costs on amazon since i don't live in the us) and update accordingly (:
  • brockhampton
    Options
    update: used coconut oil as per @mckeesandra 's recommendation today (didn't have shea on hand) and it worked fairly well for somebody as sweaty as i until about the 40 min mark then i started feeling a bit of friction but zero chafing and zero pain till end of cooldown (65 min total). going to try deodorant next time (: