Most miles walked in a day?

Options
13»

Replies

• Loumossmfp78
    Loumossmfp78 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    @rybo omg 36 are you messing thats amazing! Im so jealous, maybe thats were im going wrong i need do it with a friend! Why the jump up from 36 to 50 tho??

Most ultra distance trail races are 50km (31miles) or 50 miles. Sometimes you will get an oddball number like 27 or 36 miles (the 2 distances I'm doing this summer) but they are not as common

Maybe i need to get into distance trails they sound really fun, do you need be really fit tho?
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Something like 17 miles. We were at Disney in Florida. I personally can't stand walking unless used as a form of transportation.

Florida although.a amazing place its tiring isnt it,we had loads planned when we went but found we had take a rest day in between each theme park, bet the walking was worth it
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal wow 50 miles weather its running or walking is amazing, you must have some stamina! Least i know my 26 miles is possible!

The LDWA do a number of marathons and ultras, so it's fairly really achievable. I won't say easy.

I'm doing a marathon in about six weeks where walkers start an hour earlier than runners.

I quite enjoy the 50K distance now, but as Rybo mentions the 50mile distance is a different proposition. 50K is just a long marathon.

I think im.gonna look into the ultras never heard of it before, just a hour i thought they need a few hours start lol
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    About 27 miles. With a pack. Above 6000'. In July. In snow.

5902029627_8977a34c79_b.jpg
    5902592244_e43c74480e_b.jpg

Omg wow them views! 27 miles in snow i applaud yo that must take some doing! Do you do it regular?
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo 17 miles is great! i couldnt even walk 3 miles when i first started doing it, i seem to get bored around the 18 miles msrk, ill keep you updated

Oh man I get bored around mile 13!!! Do you listen to books on tape or anything?

No i tend to.listen to music untill i get bored, then i ring a few of my friends for a catch up thank god i have unlimited phone calls!
  • Loumossmfp78
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    About 17 or 18, hiking with about 20lb daypack. Hardest day was 10 miles but reached an altitude of 19,000 ft / 5900 m above sea level. Every mile feels like at least three with the lack of oxygen.

Dont know how you could walk so far with a 20ib pack, i need step my game up haha! Ive only ever attempted mount Snowdon uk, which was about 1000 m and that was hardwork
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    24 miles and I have done that several times. My hiking club has a regular hike around Lake Geneva (SE Wisconsin) the second Saturday in October every year and I have gone 4 times. All property owners are required to allow walkers access to the section of the lakefront path that is on their property. There are some beautiful multi-million dollar lake houses there including several built by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Helps when you are with a group and you have several people to talk to.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal wow 50 miles weather its running or walking is amazing, you must have some stamina! Least i know my 26 miles is possible!

The LDWA do a number of marathons and ultras, so it's fairly really achievable. I won't say easy.

I'm doing a marathon in about six weeks where walkers start an hour earlier than runners.

I quite enjoy the 50K distance now, but as Rybo mentions the 50mile distance is a different proposition. 50K is just a long marathon.

I think im.gonna look into the ultras never heard of it before, just a hour i thought they need a few hours start lol

As you appear to be in the UK look into the LWDA, they do a lot of events and it's good to have others to walk with. Some of their events are walker only, and some are both walkers and runners.

Salisbury54321, this Sunday, has walkers on both the 50K and the Marathon both of whom will start at 0800 with the 50K starting at 0900 and the Marathon at 0930. I'm not racing that this year. Clarendon Marathon, which i Salisbury to Winchester, has the extra hour with an 0900 start.

The long distances are good.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Longest day was about 32 miles while backpacking the Continental Divide Trail in the Great Basin in Wyoming. We got to our expected evening water source around 4 p.m. after 16 miles of fairly easy hiking through the desert. The source was a muddy mucky spring, surrounded by a herd of cows who all seemed to be peeing and pooping in the water, plus 3 dead cows lying in the stream. We kept going. Our next water source, according to the map we had, turned out to be mine run-off, probably arsenic. All the vegetation along the stream was dead. So we kept going, and going, and going. Fortunately, most of the route at that point was a roadwalk, heading toward town. We finally reached a water source at around midnight. We could feel the wet under our feet, and just hoped there was nothing dead in the spring itself. By that time we were so sore and exhausted, we couldn't eat or sleep. Fortunately, the next day was only a 9 mile walk to town, where we spent 3 days resting up before heading out into the desert again.