15 min HIIT workouts.

Options
Would you recommend theses as good enough exercise for a busy lifestyle?
Anyone had good results with theses workouts?

Replies

• PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?
  • aine1993mckay
    aine1993mckay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just to tone up, I'm a nurse and work long hours to the gym isn't ideal for me.
  • aine1993mckay
    Options
    Oh right okay thanks
  • k3ls4ur
    k3ls4ur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Following this thread... if HIIT workouts aren't worth it, but I don't have a local gym and I'm short on time, what kind of workout would be ideal to burn fat and gain a little muscle? Mostly just to tone my body...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    k3ls4ur wrote: »
    Following this thread... if HIIT workouts aren't worth it, but I don't have a local gym and I'm short on time, what kind of workout would be ideal to burn fat and gain a little muscle? Mostly just to tone my body...

If you're really crunched on time and you can only really work out for a couple minutes at a time, HIIT or any type of interval training is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Oh really?
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

If you're really crunched on time and you can only really work out for a couple minutes at a time, HIIT or any type of interval training is going to be the best bang for your buck.

Oh really?

Yes, what would be your recommendation?
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited August 2017
    Options

So the issue you've got here is that tone up doesn't really mean much.

If you're wanting to lose weight then a 15 minute session can have an effect, but I wouldn't spend that time doing HIIT. You'll get more calorie expenditure just by doing steady state aerobic range activity for the period.

If you're wanting to improve your muscle definition then that'll take time and a range of different activities, but essentially some form of resistance training is part of it. That needn't involve going into the gym, bodyweight activities are perfectly reasonable and easy to facilitate.

Essentially there is some evidence that HIIT can make marginal improvements to fat loss, but the proportions are negligible and they've been vastly overplayed by the marketing machine that is the fitness industry. As discipline the advantages aren't that great.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Oh really?

Why would you suggest that it's best bang for your buck?

• Rammer123
    Options

Oh really?

Because with interval training you get more work done in a shorter amount of time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Oh really?

Because with interval training you get more work done in a shorter amount of time.

Care to amplify that?

I'd generally disagree, but I'd rather understand the basis for your assertion.
  • Rammer123
    edited August 2017
    Options

Oh really?

Care to amplify that?

Shorter rest periods and longer work periods.

ETA:

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

50 seconds on, 10 seconds between exercises- 1 min between rounds.
  • aine1993mckay
    Options

I've only got into my fitness, I've lost 26lbs over the last 11 weeks through focusing on my diet first, I try and do the HIIT workouts everyday mixing kettle bells exercise in with that. 'Tone up' as in not too muscular just 'tight' if that's even a appropriate word !!
    Just any suggestions? I don't really have that much spare time , but I do want to get fit and healthy.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

If you're wanting to lose weight then a 15 minute session can have an effect, but I wouldn't spend that time doing HIIT. If you're wanting to improve your muscle definition then that'll take time and a range of different activities, but essentially some form of resistance training is part of it. That needn't involve going into the gym, bodyweight activities are perfectly reasonable and easy to facilitate.

Essentially there is some evidence that HIIT can make marginal improvements to fat loss, but the proportions are negligible and they've been vastly overplayed by the marketing machine that is the fitness industry. As discipline the advantages aren't that great.

Not to mention the fact that, if you want ANY of the benefits promised in a 15 min HIIT workout, you need to pretty much waste yourself. Not the kind of thing someone who has just worked a long shift is going to look forward to. People see "15 min" and think oh that sounds easy.

Then what would you recommend to someone who has 15 minutes to workout? I am not saying a 15 min of interval training is ideal, but what would be better to do in 15 mintues?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Oh really?

Care to amplify that?

ETA:

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

That's only circuit training.

• Rammer123
    Options

Oh really?

Care to amplify that?

ETA:

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

Okay, do them individually
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Oh really?

Care to amplify that?

ETA:

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

3 rounds:
    Squat jumps
    Pushups
    Sit-ups
    Lunges
    Burpees

I follow a program like this and love it - it's great cardio for increased fitness. I don't see why you'd call it circuit training rather than HIIT though - does it depend on the intensity? I do tabata style (20 secs on, 10 sec rest x 8 rounds) cause the intensity is high and it's all I can cope with. I do it in conjunction with strength training as well though to actually build muscle, ie tone.