Week 1 done and DAMN!!

Options
First week weight in using the app. 9 pounds gone! What a difference. Not hungry, very noticeable in the mirror and feel great!

I wanted to lose 10 lbs as a reasonable goal over a 8 week period. Didn't know I would do it in basically a week.

Going for another 10 pounds. At that weight I will actually be the correct weight for my height.

May as well.

Replies

• ravergirl1992
    ravergirl1992 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    100%! I started off with a goal in mind and when I started hurtling towards in quite quickly I revised it to a slightly harder goal. sometimes starting off with something so hard is just unmotivating. good for you, keep going!
  • JacintaVE2017
    JacintaVE2017 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well done. Keep up the great enthusiasm. Tgere is plenty of support here :)
  • pwhitechurch
    pwhitechurch Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • dvafiades796
    dvafiades796 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First week weight in using the app. 9 pounds gone! What a difference. Not hungry, very noticeable in the mirror and feel great!

I wanted to lose 10 lbs as a reasonable goal over a 8 week period. Didn't know I would do it in basically a week.

Going for another 10 pounds. At that weight I will actually be the correct weight for my height.

May as well.

Yeah that's mostly water weight I would think. The water weight can come back as quick as you lost it. Don't get me wrong, that's a great start! Keep it up!
  • deego14
    deego14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's Awesome! A good first week is always a great motivator to keep you going. :)
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    A couple buzz kills in here.

Yeah, sorry, that's the way it goes, but you know. You would have had to lose that 9 lbs anyway, and we all lose some water first anyway. We're just trying to set you up good for next week when nothing changes so you don't freak out.

Go for your goal, you'll make it. It will just take a little longer than two weeks ;)
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Mmm yup yup! I tell clients at work weight fluctuates a lot, so weighing every day is a very bad idea. I know too many people who weigh themselves every day, and even multiple times a day. Weighing once every week at a specific time each day is a good way to go; and even then every other week up to a month- still keeping track of the weekly. I know someone else who would keep track of everything but not officially log until a specific day of the month, just to track how often she fluctuates and to track trends.
  • Crushingit22
    Crushingit22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

Yeah, sorry, that's the way it goes, but you know. You would have had to lose that 9 lbs anyway, and we all lose some water first anyway. We're just trying to set you up good for next week when nothing changes so you don't freak out.

Go for your goal, you'll make it. It will just take a little longer than two weeks ;)

Lol! I know. I wish it were that easy.
  • Crushingit22
    Options
    Mmm yup yup! I tell clients at work weight fluctuates a lot, so weighing every day is a very bad idea. I know too many people who weigh themselves every day, and even multiple times a day. Weighing once every week at a specific time each day is a good way to go; and even then every other week up to a month- still keeping track of the weekly. I know someone else who would keep track of everything but not officially log until a specific day of the month, just to track how often she fluctuates and to track trends.

I am definitely only weighing in once a week. I don't need the added stress. :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great start! What you have there is a starting whoosh, which is a great feeling. Honestly it's not likely to come back on next week. But do expect the weight loss to slow down from that first boost. Keep up the good work and you'll be well on the way to your goal.
  • finkikin5450
    finkikin5450 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keep it up!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Awesome! It's taken me a month to loose 10 lbs. You keep it up!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

I want you to succeed, and I'll bet everyone else here does too. But to lose 9lbs of fat you would have had to have a deficit of 31,500 calories last week. That is 4500 calories a day. Let's say that you are an active guy and maintain at 3500 calories a day. You would have had to have exercised away another 1000 calories a day and not eaten anything all week long. Or burned 1500 calories a day and eaten only a 500 calories a day. Or some other equally difficult variation.

You should absolutely be thrilled with your success. But just keep in mind that if the scales don't budge (or worse, go backwards) at some time in the next couple of weeks it doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with your approach, just that your water retention levels are returning to more normal levels. Keep going!
  • Crushingit22
    Options

I want you to succeed, and I'll bet everyone else here does too. But to lose 9lbs of fat you would have had to have a deficit of 31,500 calories last week. That is 4500 calories a day. Let's say that you are an active guy and maintain at 3500 calories a day. You would have had to have exercised away another 1000 calories a day and not eaten anything all week long. Or burned 1500 calories a day and eaten only a 500 calories a day. Or some other equally difficult variation.

You should absolutely be thrilled with your success. But just keep in mind that if the scales don't budge (or worse, go backwards) at some time in the next couple of weeks it doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with your approach, just that your water retention levels are returning to more normal levels. Keep going!

I exercise 5-6 days a week including an hour on weights and an additional hour on the treadmill. I am averaging about 1200-1400 calorie intake a day and don't feel hungry. When I say 1200, I am not factoring in the exercise. End of week two was today. I weighed in at another 5 lbs lost. That is 14 lbs in 2 weeks. I am only 5 lbs to the so called not overweight BMI. Hopefully I will be there in a week or two and can move to maintaining the weight. Amazingly I am not hungry and feel great!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I exercise 5-6 days a week including an hour on weights and an additional hour on the treadmill. I am averaging about 1200-1400 calorie intake a day and don't feel hungry. When I say 1200, I am not factoring in the exercise. End of week two was today. I weighed in at another 5 lbs lost. That is 14 lbs in 2 weeks. I am only 5 lbs to the so called not overweight BMI. Hopefully I will be there in a week or two and can move to maintaining the weight. Amazingly I am not hungry and feel great!

you don't want any muscle i take it? using the starvation approach to lose weight?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Sorry, but you are setting yourself up for failure. With this plan, and at your rate of loss, you're losing more lean body mass (muscle) than fat (although as others point out, much of a dieter's first week's loss will be water weight) and this will mean that despite the weight loss you will not look as lean as you hope and when you do decide to maintain weight your calorific intake will need to be lower than you hoped.

I strongly urge you to:
    • Exercise less - reduce the cardio specifically to a couple or three short sessions and run a progressive strength program for 3 or 4 1 hour sessions per week. Ideally, plan this to give you at least 1 full day off.
    • Eat more - 1200 is highly unlikely to be sufficient for a safe rate of loss for a male working out 5-6 times a week. Also note that for dieters and the overweight, hunger or the absence of hunger is often a very unreliable method of assessing dietary needs.
  • Crushingit22
    Options

Sorry, but you are setting yourself up for failure. With this plan, and at your rate of loss, you're losing more lean body mass (muscle) than fat (although as others point out, much of a dieter's first week's loss will be water weight) and this will mean that despite the weight loss you will not look as lean as you hope and when you do decide to maintain weight your calorific intake will need to be lower than you hoped.

I strongly urge you to:
    • Exercise less - reduce the cardio specifically to a couple or three short sessions and run a progressive strength program for 3 or 4 1 hour sessions per week. Ideally, plan this to give you at least 1 full day off.
    • Eat more - 1200 is highly unlikely to be sufficient for a safe rate of loss for a male working out 5-6 times a week. Also note that for dieters and the overweight, hunger or the absence of hunger is often a very unreliable method of assessing dietary needs.

I am trying to figure out exactly what I should have for intake and exercise. Based on research I just did using height, weight, exercise amount, it says that I should be doing the following to lose 1-2 lbs a week...

2500 to maintain
    Take 20% off to lose weight.
    Approx 2,000 calories

3-4 times on treadmill per week for 1 hour
    3-4 times weight training per week for 1 hour

Does that make sense? Eating more has never been a problem for me.
  • Crushingit22
    Options
    Actually, cardio 3 times a week. And weight training 3-4 times a week?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!