New to Gym, what equipment is best to start out on?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Overall goal is just to have a tone look to my body and be slimmed down a bit.

Most of your results will come will come from losing the 30-40 lbs, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. Honestly i think you're expecting too much from exercise - and that's coming from a strength coach. If you did zero strength training & cardio, but you lost the weight, i think you'd be pretty happy with how "toned" you got. If you choose to do strength training, get your doctor's approval first, and try to work with a reputable personal trainer to check your form, since your left ankle might not dorsiflex properly on squats. Fortunately about 95% of your results will come from fat loss.. which won't happen in the gym. :+1:

what? she expressed an interest in strength training , and you are discouraging her from that? I completely disagree that 95% of a toned body comes from weight loss. And i'm not a strength coach. A healthy fit body comes from diet AND exercise.

^^^^^ All day!!! This.
    I hate the term "toning". There's no magic toning diet. It's fat loss/muscle gain.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    timsla wrote: »
    Squat/ push/pull/ hip hinge. Progress from body weight to kettle bell to bar. Most gyms offer a free training session use those to learn those fundamental movements. And if he/she walks out with a bosu ball punch throats and ask for another pt.

Whats wrong with bosu balls? i've added them to my workouts before, you can do some cool stuff with them

Simple bodyweight squats on the bosu are challenging in a totally different way to heavy barbell, plus press ups.
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Most of your results will come will come from losing the 30-40 lbs, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. Honestly i think you're expecting too much from exercise - and that's coming from a strength coach. If you did zero strength training & cardio, but you lost the weight, i think you'd be pretty happy with how "toned" you got. If you choose to do strength training, get your doctor's approval first, and try to work with a reputable personal trainer to check your form, since your left ankle might not dorsiflex properly on squats. Fortunately about 95% of your results will come from fat loss.. which won't happen in the gym. :+1:

I really have to disagree with looking toned just from losing weight or even cardio alone. I've lost weight previously from doing just cardio & diet and did not look toned, maybe slimmer or skinnier but definitely not toned.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Seriously no, I wish I'd started weight training far earlier than I did. I am now at least a stone heavier than I was the last time I was a UK 10/12, and look so much healthier (and stronger). This photo shows the difference between when I started serious lifting and a year later, there's only 40lb difference but it looks far more.bhhmgtn0fhkk.jpg

To the op, choose a beginner lifting program, I started with Stronglifts, get someone to teach you form and get to it, it's very unlikely you'll regret it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    timsla wrote: »
    Squat/ push/pull/ hip hinge. Progress from body weight to kettle bell to bar. Most gyms offer a free training session use those to learn those fundamental movements. And if he/she walks out with a bosu ball punch throats and ask for another pt.

Whats wrong with bosu balls? i've added them to my workouts before, you can do some cool stuff with them

Simple bodyweight squats on the bosu are challenging in a totally different way to heavy barbella really bad idea, plus press ups.

Fixed it for you
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I also disagree with this. I've done it both ways, first time just diet and light cardio resulted in poor body composition. I was not "toned" at all and nowhere near happy.

Second time diet and weight training and my results were phenomenal. Very happy.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    she expressed an interest in strength training , and you are discouraging her from that?

Uh, no, i told her to follow a program. If she wants to start with machines, that's perfectly fine. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    she expressed an interest in strength training , and you are discouraging her from that?

Uh, no, i told her to follow a program. If she wants to start with machines, that's perfectly fine. :+1:

no, this is what you told her :

Most of your results will come will come from losing the 30-40 lbs, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. Honestly i think you're expecting too much from exercise - and that's coming from a strength coach. If you did zero strength training & cardio, but you lost the weight, i think you'd be pretty happy with how "toned" you got. If you choose to do strength training, get your doctor's approval first, and try to work with a reputable personal trainer to check your form, since your left ankle might not dorsiflex properly on squats. Fortunately about 95% of your results will come from fat loss.. which won't happen in the gym.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, I just joined the local Y and am working with a "coach".

I think the advice he has given me is good, but I'm just starting out.

They have 13 circuit weight machines with resistant bands, so no actual weights. They have the standard machines and then they have free weights.

He wants me to do 4-6 weeks on the circuit machines, then 4-6 weeks on the machines and then, once I have a bit of muscle built up, move to the free weights. He did have me lift weights etc. in the initial interview and watched how I lift and that I have stability issues while lifting. So he does figure going straight to the free weight could lead to an injury. As I said, I think the plan makes sense.

My goal is to do a triathlon in 2018, so the weights are 2 days a week and not my main focus. Your goals may be different.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So, I just joined the local Y and am working with a "coach".

I think the advice he has given me is good, but I'm just starting out.

They have 13 circuit weight machines with resistant bands, so no actual weights. They have the standard machines and then they have free weights.

He wants me to do 4-6 weeks on the circuit machines, then 4-6 weeks on the machines and then, once I have a bit of muscle built up, move to the free weights. He did have me lift weights etc. in the initial interview and watched how I lift and that I have stability issues while lifting. So he does figure going straight to the free weight could lead to an injury. As I said, I think the plan makes sense.

My goal is to do a triathlon in 2018, so the weights are 2 days a week and not my main focus. Your goals may be different.

The only way to improve stability is to challenge it. Circuit machines and plate machines will not help with your stability... You'll end 8-12 weeks stronger and unstable.

You would likely get more benefit(for stability) from body weight drills.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

no, this is what you told her :

Most of your results will come will come from losing the 30-40 lbs, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. Honestly i think you're expecting too much from exercise - and that's coming from a strength coach. If you did zero strength training & cardio, but you lost the weight, i think you'd be pretty happy with how "toned" you got. If you choose to do strength training, get your doctor's approval first, and try to work with a reputable personal trainer to check your form, since your left ankle might not dorsiflex properly on squats. Fortunately about 95% of your results will come from fat loss.. which won't happen in the gym.

Nah, i meant it hypothetically, that if she were to lose the 40 through diet alone, she'd be pretty happy with her appearance. I mentioned it to make a point that her goals didn't require 1.5-2 hours in the gym every day, which seemed excessive. I've never heard any of the regulars here advise a newbie to spend that much time in the gym.

Oh in the 3rd post i told her to follow a program. :+1:
  • Reannamated
    Reannamated Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah my husband and I are looking for a trainer to work with both of us. The one at the gym wanted $180 a month for an hour a week and we just can't afford that. It may be a reasonable price but hopefully we'll find someone a little cheaper or online will be our way to go.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Definitely free weights, imho. I think intense cardio is seriously overrated. A nice, brisk, 30 minute walk every other day and a good diet will let you lose all the weight you want. As for saunas, there's research showing they may provide quite a few serious health benefits (including many of the same things you'd get from sustained, intense cardio, interestingly enough). I try to fit in a couple of sessions in the sauna each week, personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWKBsh7YTXQ
  • Reannamated
    Reannamated Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah Cherimoose, even though I did say time spent at the gym has been between an hour and a half to two hours, some of that time has included rest periods and I usually try to get in a half hour of walking at a decent pace while I'm there. It's not like I'm killing myself on the bikes or rowing for a solid hour. I can see where that would be definitely excessive. I also agree some of the work will definitely rely on me keeping a pretty clean diet and I will be trying very hard. I have been down this road before and it doesn't happen overnight. I don't think I'm expecting a hot body in two weeks. I'm just trying to get myself acquainted with the gym and getting used to going on a regular basis. I really do appreciate everyone's input thus far. :)