Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I am.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yup I'm currently dieting in secret. I started this journey to support my bf on is weightloss so he's the only one I talk about dieting. Other people are way to free about their opinions about how they think you should lose weight. So instead of listening to all that noise I chose to eliminate it
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think it can be done either way. But at the end of the day, you are the only person holding yourself back. Nobody can make you change or stop you from reaching your goals but you. It's not going to be easy but it will be worth it.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

so I'm thinking of a new tactic, not telling anyone that I'm trying to lose weight. Not talking about it. Not responding to questions about looking like I've lost weight with anything other than a "Thanks"

Anyone else tried this approach?

Yes. I lost 40 pounds last year using MFP and have maintained for almost a year. I only told one person. That spared me from "advice" I didn't want to hear and the "you don't need to lose any more weight" when I was still obese.

When people comment on my weight loss now, I say yes, I lost weight to be healthier, but that's it. If they ask how, I refer them to MFP and say I watch my calories and exercise every day.

My changes included cutting out some foods because I have medical problems and want to control them without medicine. Social occasions can be tricky. I appreciate the hospitality. but I'm just not going to eat those foods anymore. I'm still learning how to say no in a simple, friendly way without telling a big story. Putting myself first for a change is the toughest thing.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone or talk about it for a long time (50lbs or so) and then once it was super obvious, some folks would ask and I felt more comfortable talking about it. It has been very personal to me, so I've been just focused on me. When people do ask, I talk about MFP and that I watch my calories and log my meals and exercise every day.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That's what I did. I was probably unnecessarily secretive about it to the point where when people noticed my habits change (drinking water instead of soda, etc.) I'd try to deflect. But you know... being secretive worked for me. There was no pressure. I didn't have to worry about people not believing I could do it. I didn't have to deal with anyone offering unwanted opinions on things I should or shouldn't eat or how much I should exercise. I didn't tell anyone anything and outright tried to hide the fact that trying to lose weight was the reason I was eating healthier, drinking more water, etc. When I actually started looking thinner, I stopped hiding it and started being honest when people asked.

It's a tough call. If accountability helps you and you have supoortive people around you, then sure, shout it from the rooftops. But do whatever is going to work for you. There are a lot of people who can sometimes be touchy about weightloss and sometimes get defensive when they see other people making changes and sometimes that defensiveness comes out as really insensitive comments. So I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with being secretive about it. It's nobody's business but yours.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    What I do with my life is my business. So when I decided to lose weight, the only person I told was my husband and only because he cooks dinner and I needed to make some changes there so he had to be told.

I even wore my big baggy clothes right up until I had lost 15 kg and some of them were literally falling off me.

I am NOT the type of person who wants others hovering over me for "accountability" ... I don't think I even have my diary open here.

And for me, the whole diet part of it just disappeared into the woodwork like all the other "usual" things I did ... dressing in the morning, brushing my teeth, having a shower, etc. etc. I don't discuss my "getting ready for work in the morning" habits in great detail with people ... why should I discuss my diet?

Instead I focused on other things ... my work, my university course, and my cycling. :)
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband and mother know (because a change in how I cook or eat would be obvious), but other than that - I haven't told anyone. The only person I need to be accountable to is me. Best wishes!

ETA: I'm not really keeping it a secret. It's just not a topic I bring up with others.

This for me too. My mum is my number one restaurant buddy so she's seen me noting down what I eat to check it later, and not telling the boyfriend would be silly as he's the one who gets to hear my not-so-ladylike remarks when I can't figure out what listing to use for that thing we just ate, or when the only listing for a certain kind of bread (sold unsliced) is "1 slice" :D

I'm losing less than 1lb a week and have only been going for around 6 weeks, so it's too soon for anyone to have noticed or commented. I won't discuss it with anyone else until such time as they do - because I (probably correctly) assume that they're not especially interested in my eating habits.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I told hardly anyone because I didn't want outside opinions or for anyone to be looking over my shoulder. I didn't go out of my way to keep it a secret, but I didn't go out of my way to talk about it, either.
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone. I made that mistake once. While not everyone is judgmental or negative, a lot of people are even when they mean well. I was surrounded by many negative people that were not supportive of my new eating habits at all. I even had a bf once that would sabotage my food to keep me from loosing. Now, i don't tell anyone and if i don't want to eat something, I just say i am full or ate already on the way over.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When I started to lose weight back in 2012 I only told my guy since I was changing my eating habits.

I'm really private and I keep to myself so I wasn't intentionally keeping my weight loss a secret. It was great though. I was able to try different things and see what worked for me without people breathing down my back and "monitoring" my progress.

As time went on and I got into a groove, the weight started to come off and inches began to melt off my body. I could no longer stay quiet and my worst fears came true.

"OMG Rainbow, you look great - are you losing weight?" "What diet are you on?" "Don't lose too much weight now!" etc.

I'm good at deflecting and changing the subject back around to the other person and that worked for a while...

Then people started watching me - what and how much I ate, judged me for becoming more active, some started pushing foods they know I love on me and others policed what I ate. So very annoying. I just kept on. "No, thank you" became a very repetitive phrase I had to use.

Now 4+ years into maintenance people seem to wonder how am I keeping my weight off and amazed with my transformation, but I don't get the food police etc. as much anymore.

I'm so glad I kept quiet while I was losing weight in the beginning. Not everyone has their best intentions for you even though they are smiling in your face.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone because it's nobody's business. And everyone loves to hold someone else accountable for anything that makes them feel better about not reaching their own goals, whatever they may be.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I restrained when I started, too. 1) Didn't want advice. 2) It can actually be rude in social situations. If I'm offered food, they simply want to hear a 'yes' or 'no thank you'. They don't want to hear about my limitations.

I've lost 30 pounds & no one has noticed (commented). But that's not a motivator for me.